fateit
+0|6820|Tacoma, Wa
I've played FPS games for about a decade and a half now. And after having played xbox live
alot over the last couple years I've really come to enjoy having game sounds seperated from
team chatter. Is it possible to simulate that in BF2? I tried it with my bluetooth and headset, but
bf2 doesn't seem to want to recognize the bt device as a seperate sound system it can use (by setting
it as the default device for voice in/output in the control panel. So my second thought is to look
into a USB headset and see if I can produce the desired results from that. If anyone has experience
in this or advice it would be greatly appreciated, as I tend to be completely unable to understand
a word anyone is saying if combat sounds are coming through my speakers when someone in
my squad is trying to use VoIP in the game.

Last edited by fateit (2005-10-20 15:06:08)

MajorDamage
+0|6766|Toronto
Try turning up the amount of channels on your soundcard, I think through game options, and if not, then in the soundcard settings. You should turn it up all the way, ie: instead of 8 voices/channels, use 32 or more if they are available.

The other thing you can do is to use a separate computer for your voice comms (TS/Vent) and mix the game computer's sound output as well as the voice comm computer's output together using a mixer and headphones from there. But you're using the VoIP in BF2.

As for not hearing the VoIP over the combat sounds (explosions etc.) you're going to have to learn to discern between the two or add a second soundcard to your computer and somehow assign the game to one and the VoIP to the other. I've done this with two different programs that run at the same time, but not with a single program. From what I have learned over the years, the VoIP in BF2 is a second application, so it should be feasible.

Keep in mind that sounds can also cancel each other out, but that's another story.

Anyhow, my setup is three computers piped together into a Mackie 1202 channel mixer and then the headphones get plugged into the Mackie. I can also then use the output from the mixer and pipe it back into any computer to record the mixed output. This allows me to turn down either voice comms or game sounds depending on what I need to hear at the moment. I should also mention that the Mackie has THE most powerful headphone amp in the industry built right into it )

Two of my teammates have adopted this method with exemplary results.

I'm a sound whore... I can't help it.
IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill
+4|6795|Canberra, Australia
Dear God that is Hardcore
MajorDamage
+0|6766|Toronto
Thank you

Last edited by MajorDamage (2005-10-20 16:10:36)

chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6849|"Frisco"

I am 99% certain the BF2 will not utilize separate soundcards/in-outs for voice as compared to general audio.

I'd love to be wrong, however. You might want to contact their tech support team about it.
fateit
+0|6820|Tacoma, Wa
Ok, I had an old SB Awe 64 Live! just sitting around so I put it in my system when I got home.
As I tried with the Bluetooth setup, I set the voice settings under control panel sound to the new device
and it DOES work. For some reason the mic test in bf2 yielded NO results though, but when I used it in game
people typed back to me. I'm not sure if I was just unlucky or what, but I couldn't seem to find ANYONE
else last night who was using a mic so I could see if I could hear THEM talk in the headphones. I was VERY
aware of the part of the screen where it shows the speaker icon. So I'm going to look for a server tonight
when I get home that mentions in it's name "VOICE". So until I verify I can hear sound I'm 50% of the way
there, W00t. Thanks for the replies and sugestions. It's to the point this has become a bit of a mission for me.

Last edited by fateit (2005-10-21 10:16:45)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard