lowyaukee
+2|6827
Here is the original thread which is closed: -
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=2106&p=5

Here is one of the posts, by Slickdawg8: -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Response (GM Argain) 10/13/2005 11:09 AM 
Hello,

If you were over 20,000 at the time of the patch, unfortunately you will not be able to become a 1st Sergeant.  I'm sorry if this is upsetting to you but I'm afraid there is no way to change that fact.

Thank you for writing us,

EARepArgain
Player Relations
Electronic Arts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The original thread is closed because it is believed that the subject is over.

Well, my situation is a little bit different.  My GP was about 18,000 when patch 1.03 came out.  I was promoted from Corporal to Gunnery Sergeant (3 ranks) straight away.

When I obtained 20,000 GP, I was promoted to Master Sergeant.  At that time, I did not have all the basic badges required for the promotion to First Sergeant (I did not have the Basic Knife Combat and Basic Pistol Combat Badges).

Now, I've got the Basic Pistol Badge but miss the Basic Knife Combat Badge.  I tried really hard but I sucked and could not get the Basic Knife Combat Badge before I killed 50 people with a knife in aggregate. 

(Q1)  So, when I kill 7 people in a round now, I believe I will get the Basic and Veteran Knife Combat Badges at the same time, right?

(Q2)  In these circumstances, could I get promoted to First Sergeant? 

Anyway, I will continue to try my best to get the Knife Combat Badge tonight, tomorrow night.........  If I could get it, I will know the answer.  I'll come back to tell.

Cheers.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6834|Cologne, Germany

@Q1: I guess you will, yeah.

@Q2: same issue here. I wasn't at 20.000 points when the patch came out, but I am now. All I am missing is the basic knife combat badge. If I get it any time soon, I should be promoted to first sergeant. At least that's what I hope for.

Anyone here in the same situation who got their promotion ?
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6826
You get basic knife at 5 kills now.. so you will get the basic knife 2 kills before you get the vet. but that sucks that EA did that NOW. because of their mistake a bunch of us are f@#%&*
B.Schuss

only 5 now. wow, that's good news for a knife noob like me

I'll try it tonight. thx slay
Britishbeef
+0|6793|Err...Britain
I read on a forum somewhere that they fixed the skipping of badges for people that already have vet knife/pistol.  If you check you stats on another site (sorry dont know which one, my friend sent me a link) it will show you that you now have basic and veteran.  It has been done because i skipped my basic pistol but when i check the other day (including in my BF2s sig) i had the basic pistol aswell but if you dont get the badges before you rank up you cannot get the extra rank anyway, you have to wait till the next rank before you get a special rank ie sergent major.
Guruz
Sir
+20|6831|government yard in trenchtown.
But a friend of mine has 38000 points but he's a First Sergeant! So he couldn't have less than 20k before the patch..

His third promotion after the patch was First Sergeant, not Master Sergeant.
But I guess he didn't skip any of the badges..
ziggie216
+0|6763
i'm at 28822 and have all the basic and even some vet. badge.... is this not getting First Sergeant a bug?
Croak
+11|6797|San Marcos, CA
No, you needed the badges before the promotion check happened...once you're a Master Sgt, you're stuck as one.
Nebular
+1|6775
I had 22 000 when i patched my game and i AM 1st sergeant ..... simply cause i had my basic / vet knife / pistol badges since September .... thats all, now all the lazy guys who don't have this badge yet can't get 1st sergeant HAHA !! what a shame !! lol
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6812
If you were over 20,000 at the time of the patch, unfortunately you will not be able to become a 1st Sergeant.  I'm sorry if this is upsetting to you but I'm afraid there is no way to change that fact.

What he forgot to mention was that if you were over 20,000 and DID NOT have the basic badges, then ditto.

I don't see a difference with your problem either, they are all inter-related with the same issue, so as chuy said, let these threads just die. Just get over it because EA ain't going to do shit about it except bathe in the wealth of money they've rapped out of everyone.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6840|"Frisco"

Good lord.

Ok, here's the full story.

Once upon a time, patch 1.03 was in the making...
Before the patch came out, there was a bug. If you earned a Vet knife or pistol badge in the same round as you earned the basic, the basic would not be added to your stats. It was odd, but no one really cared because you saw the Vet anyway.

And then it was 1.03
When 1.03 came out, the rank score requirements were lowered significantly. This meant a LOT of people were up for promotion. Sadly, however, because of an error on DICE's part (the people who PROGRAMMED the game) the algorithim for figuring out "do you have X award" was flawed.

For those poor souls who needed the basic badges, but had the vet ones in their place, it would not detet the higher badge -- it simply noted the missing basic badge. This meant that the user was skipped over.

This problem happened many, many times.

EA to the rescue!
Seeing that there was a big problem with their system, EA set out to patch it -- and they did. Anyone who, preivously, was affect by missing lower badges now has them. That bug has been fixed.

So where's my fucking rank, jerks?
Well, that's the sad part. You see, you only get the "extra" rank (the one that requires badges) when you hit that brackets point limit. For example, when you hit 20,000 you will be ranked up to either Master or First depending on if you have the badges or not HOWEVER you will not get another chance to rank up to First Sergeant. Same goes for the next promotion.

That should answer just about every question.
B.Schuss

ok. thx for that, chuy.

no first sergeant for me then..

and only 167 more days left til Master Gunnery Sgt...
lowyaukee
+2|6827

B.Schuss wrote:

ok. thx for that, chuy.

no first sergeant for me then..

and only 167 more days left til Master Gunnery Sgt...
On the good side, I have more time to practice and try my best to get the basic and veteran knife combat badges.

Anyway, I have tried a lot, but still in vain.  It's driving me crazy and I'm afraid I may some day pick up a knife and go out to......

HELP!!
Clayton_Bigsby
Dumptruck
+6|6812|ATX

=[4th]=SlayThem wrote:

You get basic knife at 5 kills now..
Are you sure about this?  UBAR still says 7 IAR and I could have sworn that I had 5 knife kills the other day and didn't get the badge...
shaunypoo
+0|6827
I opened a thread a little while ago and think I got mis-understood.  My friend G3n3ral didn't have over 20000 b4 the patch, he does now however but still hasn't been promoted, atall, regardless that he has all the badges!? whys this?
LT.BNPLAYN*RIP*
+0|6813
Ya I did n't get first SGT. Due to the bug. But here is another question the progress bar is not moving in my BHFQ and I am 11,000 away from next rank will I get the next rank at 50,000 and what will it be Master Gunnery Sergeant or Sergeant Major. also what about the medles for Combat Infantry Medal & Marksman Infantry Medal.  I have a little over 100hr till I can get them But will I, due to the bug.

DOSE ANYONE KNOW?
Kriznik
+0|6764
it sux, cos there are some peoples who have 21.000 and got higher rank thank someone who have 40.000 points and all badgets... it suks
CBRad929
+1|6777
To me the correct fix regardless would be to have it check the variables once per login.  If you meet the criteria, grant promotion.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6840|San Francisco

shaunypoo wrote:

I opened a thread a little while ago and think I got mis-understood.  My friend G3n3ral didn't have over 20000 b4 the patch, he does now however but still hasn't been promoted, atall, regardless that he has all the badges!? whys this?
He got both the basic pistol and basic knife badges only 6 days ago on October 12th... Unfortunately he crossed the 20,000 global point mark 7 days ago on October 11th before he got those last two badges. In order to qualify for the special ranking of 1st sergeant you have to have all of the badges BEFORE your global score meets the requirement. He was just a day late.
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6780|Hanging onto the UAV
So, as long as you get the Basic combats before hitting the point bracket, you'll get 1st Sgt?

And this is ok even if you obtained Basic & Vet Pistol in the same round AFTER the patch came out?

My next rank should be 1st Sgt, you see...
EcLiPsE#14
+0|6815
lol i was over 20000 when the patch came out and i got 1st sergeant...lucky me

EcLiPsE#14
weigt
+0|6765|USA
The ranks as far as equality are 100% even in the real Marine Corps the stipulations are based off your Review board for your promotion,, if you are geared more towards a Command Strength you will in all likelyhood get promoted to 1st SGT if you are more inept at command or more operational based you will get Master Sergeant...

Id like to say id rather hit Master Sergeant personally because there are alot less MasterGuns than there are Sergeants Major. Plus most units you will be attached to the Batallion Gunner as his aid and you will do nothing but field ops....

God i cant wait to get back in..

If there are any other Devildogs in here possibly at the SNCO level they may have a better explanation..

Last edited by weigt (2005-10-20 12:47:04)

ProDicTeD
+2|6801

weigt wrote:

Id like to say id rather hit Master Sergeant personally because there are alot less MasterGuns than there are Sergeants Major. Plus most units you will be attached to the Batallion Gunner as his aid and you will do nothing but field ops....

God i cant wait to get back in..

If there are any other Devildogs in here possibly at the SNCO level they may have a better explanation..
same here i was dissapointed that i couldn't get 1st sergeant untill i saw the rank sign on the server that thing is ugly! i love my rank

Last edited by ProDicTeD (2005-10-20 13:55:14)

Das_Capitolin
+0|6747|Reno, NV
Although I can see players putting a premium on the First Sergeant rank over the Master Sergeant rank because of the basic badge completion requirment, weigt is correct in adding the real-world value to the ranks.  In the USMC, both ranks are E-8, and get paid the same.  One (First Sergeant) is of a admin nature, and the other (Master Sergeant) is of a combat nature.  One is a dog-and-pony show, and one is a future combat commander.  One is in garrison, and one is on the front lines.
Z-trooper
BF2s' little helper
+209|6751|Denmark

B.Schuss wrote:

@Q1: I guess you will, yeah.

@Q2: same issue here. I wasn't at 20.000 points when the patch came out, but I am now. All I am missing is the basic knife combat badge. If I get it any time soon, I should be promoted to first sergeant. At least that's what I hope for.

Anyone here in the same situation who got their promotion ?
same problem here... and you do not get the promotion..

fact: if you do not have the requirements by 20.000 points.. you stay Master sergeant...

(got the info from another forum where we spoke with a employe from DICE)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard