Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6655|Espoo, Finland
Hello.

Is it possible to get proper surround sound from the home theatre coming from PC through TV.
Setup is as follows:
Asus M50VM laptop

...connected with a HDMI cable to...

Sony KDL-32 BX 400AEP television (can't find specifications to the exact model but this seems identical,
no idea what the EX and BX stand for)

...connected with a TOSLINK to...

Sony DAV-DZ660 Home Theatre

The DZ660 has 'sound fields' for controlling how the sound is played
AFD Multi - Plays from all speakers but center plays from all speakers and surround channels play from both front and rear speaker.
Pro logic  - Only getting front speaker sound with this setting.

Any idea if this is possible to set up like this, or do I need to have another cable from the laptop straight to the home theatre?
baggs
+732|6175
You need to connect the DolbyDigital/DTS/etc.. output of your laptop direct to your home theatre. Does your laptop even output DD/DTS/etc..?
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6781|NÃ¥rvei

Gawwad wrote:

Hello.

Sony DAV-DZ660 Home Theatre[/b]
Eeew ...

And using your laptop as a source of compressed sound and picture is just wrong ... if you care about hifi at all that is ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6655|Espoo, Finland

baggs wrote:

You need to connect the DolbyDigital/DTS/etc.. output of your laptop direct to your home theatre. Does your laptop even output DD/DTS/etc..?
The laptop has SPDIF. Read somewhere that it would do it, is that true?

Varegg wrote:

Gawwad wrote:

Hello.

Eeew ...

And using your laptop as a source of compressed sound and picture is just wrong ... if you care about hifi at all that is ...
I'm not using a stethoscope to listen to the sound.
Thanks for the input.
baggs
+732|6175

Gawwad wrote:

baggs wrote:

The laptop has SPDIF. Read somewhere that it would do it, is that true?

Varegg wrote:

Gawwad wrote:

Hello.

Eeew ...

I'm not using a stethoscope to listen to the sound.
Thanks for the input.
S/PDIF is a compressed digital signal so yeah it should work, does your home theatre have an S/PDIF input? Usually a single RCA jack on most, tho your laptop possibly uses a 3.5mm jack connection for its output.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6709|Toronto | Canada

Mine works perfectly fine from

Laptop HDMI -> TV
TV output audio -> sound system
JahManRed
wank
+646|6598|IRELAND

You should be able to send sound down your HDMI to you TV along with the sound. Make sure your play back device is set to SPDIF out in the sound settings. Then connect your TV to your amp with optical. Means you dont have to switch the amp over between laptop and TV.

Make sure your Video and Sound drivers are up to date too.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6655|Espoo, Finland
The sound device on my lap top is set to HDMI and I get sound from the home theatre, just the surround isn't working properly.
The sound settings only show I have stereo sound available, nothing about 5.1 or anything else. The 5.1 plays like 2 speakers and a subwoofer atm.
Going to look into drivers now, thanks.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard