Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6118|'straya

RAIMIUS wrote:

The AF has wanted this capability for a LONG time.  The Shuttle was supposed to be a joint NASA/USAF platform, but the operating costs and schedules did away with the real feasibility of that plan.  If everything works, it looks like this will allow placement, repair, and retrieval of satellites.

To address some previous posts: nothing was mentioned about armament, and there is no visible indication of any weapons.
The Soviet Salyut/Almaz may have had a 23mm cannon, but I haven't seen any conclusive proof (in my limited readings).
Wiki says it had a 23mm cannon so it must be true
13rin
+977|6449

DBBrinson1 wrote:

They made Attack Drones...  Holy crap, imagine the tactical capability.  Have a few in orbit...
Payload found?
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Commie Killer
+192|6357

DBBrinson1 wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

They made Attack Drones...  Holy crap, imagine the tactical capability.  Have a few in orbit...
Payload found?
Rumsfeld wanted to take the nukes out of a few Trident missiles and use them for time sensitive strikes, scrapped cause it raised the risks of nuclear war :rollseyes:

Noobpatty wrote:

is this the first time weaponry was put on a spacecraft?
I think the Space Shuttleski (for lack of a better name) had the ability to carry a nuke.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6684|US
Placing nukes in Orbit would violate the 1967 Outer Space Treaty (which the US signed).

I doubt that is what the AF is trying to do.  It would be extremely risky.
Right now, without a weaponized space, the US is the leading power.  If we suddenly weaponize it, out assets would be put at risk.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command
It's not about nukes.

imo this is a serious topic.

Read some from the link above. I state the context you should about it in is: there has not been a major global conflict since WW2 because of MAD.

The U.S. is on a push to de-nuclearize war, and that will lead us once again to a global conflict.

These people are not stuck on stupid, this is what they want.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5443|Ventura, California
Imagine a few of these floating around space, and somebody decides to fuck around, the guys come into Earth's atmosphere and BAM a few AIM-120s up their ass or some MOABs or something.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
phishsux
­
+131|5101

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Imagine a few of these floating around space, and somebody decides to fuck around, the guys come into Earth's atmosphere and BAM a few AIM-120s up their ass or some MOABs or something.
what
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

phishsux wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

what
Saying this could be a satellite that just follows Earth's orbit and whenever there's a war or something, just come down from space and fuck some stuff up. It's the ultimate fast response vehicle.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6684|US
It doesn't look like a hypersonic aircraft.  Based one the shape, it would perform horribly in a high-speed atmospheric environment.  (I'm not up on the dynamics of atmospheric skimming/skipping, but it doesn't look like designs based on that either.)

It looks like exactly what they say it is: a military shuttle.  Take payloads up, possibly perform repairs, and take payloads back to the US.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
I was thinking it could just glide straight to an intercept path, let go the missiles and bombs and then come home. Doesn't need to "Perform" really.

Am I dreaming here or is that somewhat plausible?

Basically, imagine a few of those always orbiting, engines cut and everything. Then somebody starts an attack or something; just start the engines, go drop a MOAB or shoot down some Chinese fighters and come home, or escape to space.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6684|US
Orbital mechanics and atmopheric heating would argue against that.
It takes a LOT of fuel to get back into orbit. 
It takes some incredible heat resistance to fly hypersonic without melting.

The shape and size of this craft means its mission will roughly reflect what the shuttle is capable of.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6535|Area 51

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I was thinking it could just glide straight to an intercept path, let go the missiles and bombs and then come home. Doesn't need to "Perform" really.

Basically, imagine a few of those always orbiting, engines cut and everything. Then somebody starts an attack or something; just start the engines, go drop a MOAB or shoot down some Chinese fighters and come home, or escape to space.
You are dreaming..
BLdw
+27|5141|M104 "Sombrero"
I like this whole idea. I want to see more space debris so we can never get out of our tiny planet. It would be awesome to be stuck here and have shit-ton of brand new weapons to play with.

-Sh1fty- wrote:

You make it sound like it's as easy as driving a car. You make Chinese sound like they would do nothing.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6360

BLdw wrote:

I like this whole idea. I want to see more space debris so we can never get out of our tiny planet. It would be awesome to be stuck here and have shit-ton of brand new weapons to play with.

-Sh1fty- wrote:

You make it sound like it's as easy as driving a car. You make Chinese sound like they would do nothing.
They clearly wouldn't.  Their technology consists of a few WWII planes and tin cans on strings.

That said, it was pretty funny that they shot down a satellite by just putting a whole lot of crap in its way instead of trying to blow it up (therefore creating space litter, but oh well).
BLdw
+27|5141|M104 "Sombrero"

some_random_panda wrote:

That said, it was pretty funny that they shot down a satellite by just putting a whole lot of crap in its way instead of trying to blow it up (therefore creating space litter, but oh well).
Do you know what kind of missile they used to shoot that satellite?

some_random_panda wrote:

They clearly wouldn't.
There's more than satellite to target.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6360

BLdw wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

Not sure, but they just loaded up some relatively-low tech missile with shrapnel.

BLdw wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

They clearly wouldn't.
There's more than satellite to target.
Sarcasm detector's battery is low there.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2010-04-26 05:11:34)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6192|Escea

RDMC wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

You are dreaming..
I don't like the idea of being dropped on China from space
BLdw
+27|5141|M104 "Sombrero"

some_random_panda wrote:

BLdw wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

Not sure, but they just loaded up some relatively-low tech missile with shrapnel.
It can be argued how low tech it actually was. At the moment there are easier ways to blow up satellites than with non-explosive missiles. Non-explosive missiles tend to rely on precision.

some_random_panda wrote:

Sarcasm detector's battery is low there.
I'm, uhh... out of money to buy new batteries.

Last edited by BLdw (2010-04-26 05:40:18)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

RAIMIUS wrote:

Orbital mechanics and atmopheric heating would argue against that.
It takes a LOT of fuel to get back into orbit.
Say like maybe a fully fueled Atlas V? I seriously doubt the X-37B will be able to re-enter orbit without it. NASA also makes it a point to launch rockets from certain parts of the Globe. The closer to the equator the better when it comes to heavy lifting.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6683|Purplicious Wisconsin

BLdw wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

BLdw wrote:

It can be argued how low tech it actually was. At the moment there are easier ways to blow up satellites than with non-explosive missiles. Non-explosive missiles tend to rely on precision.
F15?
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6565|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA

-Sh1fty- wrote:

That's great and all, but consider the cost of creating them, launching them, protecting them, maintaining them, arming them, monitoring them, fueling them, for years on end. Considering the budget of NASA was 16.5 billion, and the average US defense budget has been hovering somewhere around 90 billion. I think i can find a few ways my tax dollars could be better spent than a space born attack aircraft.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6662

ATG wrote:

It's not about nukes.

imo this is a serious topic.

Read some from the link above. I state the context you should about it in is: there has not been a major global conflict since WW2 because of MAD.

The U.S. is on a push to de-nuclearize war, and that will lead us once again to a global conflict.

These people are not stuck on stupid, this is what they want.
Interesting article.

the article wrote:

US analysts have also warned of the risk that Chinese or Russian monitors might mistake a hypersonic launch for nuclear attack. “The short flight time ... leaves very little time for an assessment of the situation, putting an enormous strain on national decision-making mechanisms and increasing the probability of an accident,” argued Pavel Podvig of Stanford University.
That bit caught my eye in particular.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2010-04-26 22:36:57)

King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6567|Seattle

Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
back to the drawing board
Tu Stultus Es
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6192|Escea

King_County_Downy wrote:

This isn't the same thing, is it?
Don't think so. Its the Boeing X-37 we're talking about. The one in the article is built by Lockheed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard