Save the BlobFish!
+136|6232|Brisneyland
I dont get it Flecc? Silent Majority?
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

Burwhale wrote:

I dont get it Flecc? Silent Majority?
was making a joke about the supposed 'silent majority' in the US where most people are conservatives (or liberals depending who is  using the excuse) but don't vote - victory then is assured just by getting them to vote!
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6115|eXtreme to the maX

Burwhale wrote:

I think John howard still has much influence in the party. He has admitted that he had a lot to do with getting Abbott as leader, and I am sure he had a hand in getting the party to turn against Turnbull. I cant stand abbott or Howard, but I have time for Turnbull.
Paul Keating said that Turnbull had a great deal of talent, but not much judgment ( or something like that) . That seems a fair assessment to me.
Terrific, screw the liberals then.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

So how about that Tasmanian election...

haven't they screwed that up. lol
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Tasmania has elections ?
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

AussieReaper wrote:

So how about that Tasmanian election...

haven't they screwed that up. lol
actually hilarious
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6232|Brisneyland
Yeah I thought the libs had it in the bag.Since the greens had the balance, I guess they thought they would align with the party a bit closer to them. But lets face it, Labor did try and get  a dirty great pulp mill to open, so maybe they picked wrong.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So is Christine Nixon a fat incompetent who likes food over responsibility or is she the scapegoat for the Black Saturday mess because she's the woman in the room?
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

Dilbert_X wrote:

So is Christine Nixon a fat incompetent who likes food over responsibility or is she the scapegoat for the Black Saturday mess because she's the woman in the room?
Scapegoat.

Nothing short of a biblical flood would have had the slightest effect on that fire. And once that became obvious it was far too late.
~ Richard Feynman
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6777

Dilbert_X wrote:

She should have stayed at the command centre. But the outcome would have been the same whether she was there nor not.

Like any top level manager, she delegated. The regional commanders were in "on the ground" and in charge. She doesn't know about fires and stuff like that.

I disagree that the Chief Commissioner of Police should be in charge of this type of disaster.

People/press criticise her for not all a State of Emergency; only the Premier can do that.

Ps. On a side note. She should have never been CC of VicPol. She was white-anted out of NSWPol by Peter Ryan for being hopeless. She has made the entry standards to VicPol for women a total joke. She failed to bring in new sidearms for VicPol. She is so hated the VicPol Police Union are still gunning for her.

Last edited by BN (2010-04-16 17:34:22)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5188|Sydney
I think in Nixon's case she kinda fucked up a bit, but now it's a witch hunt and everyone wants to lay the blame at her door. I guess everyone needs a scapegoat and she's an easy target.

And like BN said, it's the people on the ground who are in control of these situations, all she can do is tell people what to do.

I guess the whole point I'm trying to make is I seriously doubt the outcome would have been any different had she not eaten at all that night and stayed at the command centre, instead of going out for a chicken parmy at the local pub.
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

Jaekus wrote:

I think in Nixon's case she kinda fucked up a bit, but now it's a witch hunt and everyone wants to lay the blame at her door. I guess everyone needs a scapegoat and she's an easy target.

And like BN said, it's the people on the ground who are in control of these situations, all she can do is tell people what to do.

I guess the whole point I'm trying to make is I seriously doubt the outcome would have been any different had she not eaten at all that night and stayed at the command centre, instead of going out for a chicken parmy at the local pub.
Pretty much.

Seriously when fires like that get going there's close to SFA that one can do about it.
~ Richard Feynman
Jaekus
+957|5188|Sydney
I have a mate who lives in Melbourne and he said he walked out of work that day at 5pm from aircon and it felt like walking into an oven. 47 degrees is just nuts, there's nothing anyone could do except hope for cooler temps and maybe some rain.
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

Jaekus wrote:

I have a mate who lives in Melbourne and he said he walked out of work that day at 5pm from aircon and it felt like walking into an oven. 47 degrees is just nuts, there's nothing anyone could do except hope for cooler temps and maybe some rain.
it was an unspeakably dire day in terms of fire conditions. 50 degree temps and 100kmh winds, zero humidity and zero moisture in the vegetation. it really could hardly have been worse.
~ Richard Feynman
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6674|NT, like Mick Dundee

Spark wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

it was an unspeakably dire day in terms of fire conditions. 50 degree temps and 100kmh winds, zero humidity and zero moisture in the vegetation. it really could hardly have been worse.
Volcanoes?
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

Flecco wrote:

Spark wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Volcanoes?
At least with volcanoes it's a bit cooler, and it's all coming from one particular spot, not coming from every which way.
~ Richard Feynman
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6777

Jaekus wrote:

I remember that day vividly. Spent the entire day inside playing NHL09 on my Xbox.

The fire crews could not get within 500m of the fires due to the temperatures and the speed as to which it was travelling. The only way you can fight fire from that distance is to "back burn" or wait for the cool change.
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

BN wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

I remember that day vividly. Spent the entire day inside playing NHL09 on my Xbox.

The fire crews could not get within 500m of the fires due to the temperatures and the speed as to which it was travelling. The only way you can fight fire from that distance is to "back burn" or wait for the cool change.
you don't backburn in those conditions...
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6232|Brisneyland
What do we think of the massive federal govt health takeover ? Its a big deal, but remains to be seen if it works.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6400

The health system is in drastic need of an overhaul.  That said, the government isn't releasing as much information as I'd like to see.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6158|'straya
Unsure. Can't help but think that funding will become even more mis-directed (that federal govt not having as detailed picture of where the spending is needed)... also considering the federal govt has never controlled health before, its impossible to know if they will be able to handle it.... on the other hand, the states are doing a pretty shit job at the moment (well in qld, where i'm from anyway)
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS
oh so he got it?

well.

so he did - except WA lolz.

i think most people think anybody but the states is a good option right now.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'd like to know what the agenda is, they take back the GST and then cut healthcare funding?
Plonk shiny new hospitals in marginal seats?
Slip fat healthcare contracts to their buddies?

Here very little good is said about the Fed govt, esp their attention to local micro-issues. Thats the problem with being a backwater (backdry?) I guess.
Jaekus
+957|5188|Sydney
I doubt they'll be pork barreling by plonking shiny new hospitals in marginal seats.
This is part of policy they went into the previous election with. If they mess this up, it's not going to look good for them.
They're going to have to get it right on a huge level.

That said I'm cautiously optimistic.
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'd like to know what the agenda is, they take back the GST and then cut healthcare funding?
Plonk shiny new hospitals in marginal seats?
Slip fat healthcare contracts to their buddies?

Here very little good is said about the Fed govt, esp their attention to local micro-issues. Thats the problem with being a backwater (backdry?) I guess.
take gst and take over hospital funding.

esp their attention to local micro-issues
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard