muiad
+0|6769
I have seen many posts on long distance kills, but no one has explained how they measure their distances and then correlate that distance with the reticle on the scope.  Does the 6 and 8 on the M95 mean 600 and 800 meters?  What are the cross hair distances?  BTW, the scope seems like it’s a 4x scope, is their an offical magnification?
morax
+0|6777|England
Correct me if im wrong but as far as i am aware the scope designs are just for show.

Simple, when sniping line the crosshair with head (doesnt matter about distance) and pull the trigger
Badcomp
+2|6787|U.S.
Acutally distance does matter. Try on Wake Island or Sharqui and try sniping someone WAY off in the distance with adjusting. Good luck.
muiad
+0|6769
People are saying that you need to aim 2cm above target's head at long distance for a head shot.  EA has never said that there is a bullet drop or that the cross hairs are just for show, in fact I haven't seen any offical manual on how to use the sniper rifle in BF2.  Joint Operations is a much better game for snipers, they gave you binocs for distance and you could move the scope based on distance.
<eN>Madcat
+2|6840
maybe EA thought people wouldn't be smart enough to understand that a bullet will start to drop over time
CBRad929
+1|6783
Some things to keep in mind when sniping:

Its all about practice.  Each weapon does something a little different from the other.  You have to play around with how you fire before you can adjust to each weapon.

I do notice that not only is there bullet drop over long distances, but in some cases there is deviation horizontially.

Never try firing "through" open objects like bushes or guard rails.  It affects your aim more if the object is on your side, than objects on "their" side.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6770|Atlanta, GA USA
I'm pretty sure there is bullet drop.  Ever try to shoot a helo with a tank?  You generally have to aim just above the helo to hit it.
EM3Robertson
+0|6764|Goose Creek, SC
There have been confirmed bullet drop physics in the game...but nobody has quite figured it out though, that's the word thus far...of course I'm getting this from a second hand source.
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6832

muiad wrote:

People are saying that you need to aim 2cm above target's head at long distance for a head shot.  EA has never said that there is a bullet drop or that the cross hairs are just for show, in fact I haven't seen any offical manual on how to use the sniper rifle in BF2.  Joint Operations is a much better game for snipers, they gave you binocs for distance and you could move the scope based on distance.
Just because EA doesn't say there is bullet drop, doesn't mean there isn't.. heck.. I'd believe something that they didn't say rather than something they DID say. I mean.. they DID say that there was going to be a hovercraft in this game.(though there is a model of it.. it's not IN the game)
And me, having witnessed the bulletdrop with my own sniping, I know there is one. for the longest time I couldn't understand why I was shooting at their head and not killing them. when I first heard about Bulletdrop, I used it in game.. and was getting headshots like you would not believe. and in Wake, I sniped a head that was on the main island and I was on the little arty island and I aimed just about 2 REAL cm about his head and it killed him.
T1mbrW0lf
+2|6795|Eastern PA
Not only are there bullet drop and horozontal deviation factors to consider - there's also "windage" on some maps, although I can't claim that this affects shooting accuracy.

As an example, on the Karkand map, note that the prevailing "wind" is to the North. Just observe the drift during a Supply Crate drop . . .
MegaBlast
+0|6780|UK
For most situations i have found that putting the dead centre of the x-hair on the top of someones head at longer ranges works just fine.

Move to the lower marks on the scope always appear to create a massive over correction on the distance.
IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill
+4|6793|Canberra, Australia
Yeah, it takes practice but under about 200m you can aim dead on.  over 200m start elevating...
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6832

T1mbrW0lf wrote:

Not only are there bullet drop and horozontal deviation factors to consider - there's also "windage" on some maps, although I can't claim that this affects shooting accuracy.

As an example, on the Karkand map, note that the prevailing "wind" is to the North. Just observe the drift during a Supply Crate drop . . .
They simply cannot throw bullet deviation by wind in the game without putting in one of those little compasses with the little windsock on it. It just wouldn't be fair to do that.
MegaBlast
+0|6780|UK
Who said anything about fair.....

If they do let wind affect bullet path they will have to give some sort of clue - like grass bending in the wind but it would make it a bit more randon and therefore stop people camping over spawn points and just killing people as they spawn.....
ZZZargo333
+0|6828
there is no wind in game. the reason it hits to the side is because the ifles are programmed to not hit direct center on every shot they mmight hit slightly left or right. Wind doesn't exist in bf2.... thats much too complicated for ea and dice to figure out
T1mbrW0lf
+2|6795|Eastern PA
If you say so - but you had better take that "non-existant wind" into consideration whenever you attempt a reasonably precise crate drop . . .
MegaBlast
+0|6780|UK
ZZZargo - I agree i was just thinking it would be a nice idea.  The generic random variance is nice but it would be nice to have a problem randon element once in a while.

I bet the crates just pick a random direction to drift in when you drop them becuase I too have noticed a little bit of "drift" on the way down (unless i am going mad which is always possible)
muiad
+0|6769
So if you guys aim above a target's head, the hash marks on in the reticle is just for show?  Are you guys guessing about distance?
[AH]Cil3r
+0|6843
Anything over 200m and you'll need to start aiming a little high.
muiad
+0|6769
But how do you know its 200m or more?
MegaBlast
+0|6780|UK
Practice.   After a while you just know roughly when you need to aim high or not.

Also if you can ID a landmark on the mini map in relation to the target that also give a good indicator of distance once you are in practice.
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6768|Human Meat Shield
Im newb at this but just an input I noticed, don't know if I was just lucky with the sniper gun, but anyway when you target enemy you see thier name and turns bright red and clearly see when it's a sure shot, got 5 direct kills that way, might've been luck though, sniping is alot of waiting I noticed, but good if you are protecting a flag, sniping I noticed (again being a newb) I defensive, I get killed too much going rabbit hunting, moving target (leading) is too much and usually takes 3-5 shells.
MegaBlast
+0|6780|UK
imdead - The real trick that everyone is talking about is the one-shot - one kill method.

If you have got this sorted then good for you and you are a natural.

Headshots are the only way to do this and if you don't compensate for the small amount of bullet drop enough you need two shots to kill.

You may have been born to be a Sniper.

Last edited by MegaBlast (2005-10-20 08:09:30)

T1mbrW0lf
+2|6795|Eastern PA

MegaBlast wrote:

I bet the crates just pick a random direction to drift in when you drop them becuase I too have noticed a little bit of "drift" on the way down (unless i am going mad which is always possible)
Note the example I cited - crates drift to the North, not in random directions - and that simulates a "prevailing wind".
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6842|Bryan/College Station, TX
We know we have to aim for gravity drop however many of us don't know how to measure for this. There was another thread that had visual pictures explaining the aiming measure of a certain scope. Each scope has some kind of aiming tick marks to help in aiming. I tutorial on each scope for each sniper rifle and how to aim with each would be helpful.

Anyone who is a good sniper and good at explaining want to take up this project?

Edit: Found the post with the Sniper aiming help.
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pid=28632#p28632

Last edited by kilroy0097 (2005-10-20 19:26:33)

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard