wannabe_tank_whore
+5|6779
Senate Judiciary Committee  said, "If a court refuses a FISA application and there is not sufficient time for the president to go to the court of review, the president can under executive order act unilaterally, which he is doing now."

Also, just this week five former FISA judges said that Bush's actions were entirely appropriate and legal. 

Anybody see this on the news?  This is a perfect example of media bias.  Anybody else have examples of bias towards the current administration?
Rygar
Canucklehead
+69|6648|Nova Scotia
Mildly related:
An example of bias in Canadian politics this week is a Conservative MP (Member of Parliament) in British Columbia (I couldn't find his name or the story online, but saw it on the news this morning) wants members of the media arrested for reporting false facts or twisting words in regards to our new conservative Prime Minister.
It's possible the news was lying, in which case I'll let you know if they're in jail when I catch it Monday morrning.

Edit:
The story didn't give reference to particular articles or reports the MP was referring to, only that they were of a slanderous or derogatory nature.  If the articles were about the opposition leader (if we HAD one that is, hahaha) the MP would be quoting them in parliament.

Last edited by Rygar (2006-03-31 11:49:06)

UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6655

wannabe_tank_whore wrote:

Anybody else have examples of bias towards the current administration?
Yeah, everything you say is biased towards Bush.

Last edited by UnOriginalNuttah (2006-04-03 03:43:49)

Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6839

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

Even if you are correct ( and in this case I dont see it ) he is just posting a fact he came across,
He is not a professional and dosen't claim to be an honest, unbiased source of news.
He is not abusing  an important position of trust.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6655

Horseman 77 wrote:

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

Even if you are correct ( and in this case I dont see it ) he is just posting a fact he came across,
He is not a professional and dosen't claim to be an honest, unbiased source of news.
He is not abusing  an important position of trust.
Every article ever written is biased one way or another.  The version of the story refered to is Pro-Bush and hasn't even been 'left out of the news', the hearing has just been interpreted in very different ways for different sources: 

-Some choose to see it as proof that the new spying program is justified.
-Others choose to see it as affecting one aspect of a much wider spectrum and not the total exoneration of the President's unwarranted surveillance activities.

March 29th, 2006 6:18 pm
Judges on Secretive Panel Speak Out on Spy Program

By Eric Lichtblau / New York Times

WASHINGTON, March 28 — Five former judges on the nation's most secretive court, including one who resigned in apparent protest over President Bush's domestic eavesdropping, urged Congress on Tuesday to give the court a formal role in overseeing the surveillance program.

In a rare glimpse into the inner workings of the secretive court, known as the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, several former judges who served on the panel also voiced skepticism at a Senate hearing about the president's constitutional authority to order wiretapping on Americans without a court order. They also suggested that the program could imperil criminal prosecutions that grew out of the wiretaps.

Judge Harold A. Baker, a sitting federal judge in Illinois who served on the intelligence court until last year, said the president was bound by the law "like everyone else." If a law like the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act is duly enacted by Congress and considered constitutional, Judge Baker said, "the president ignores it at the president's peril."

Judge Baker and three other judges who served on the intelligence court testified at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing in support of a proposal by Senator Arlen Specter, Republican of Pennsylvania, to give the court formal oversight of the National Security Agency's eavesdropping program. Committee members also heard parts of a letter in support of the proposal from a fifth judge, James Robertson, who left the court last December, days after the eavesdropping program was disclosed.

The intelligence court, created by Congress in 1978, meets in a tightly guarded, windowless office at the Justice Department. The court produces no public findings except for a single tally to Congress each year on the number of warrants it has issued — more than 1,600 in 2004. Even its roster of judges serving seven-year terms was, for a time, considered secret.

But Mr. Bush's decision effectively to bypass the court in permitting eavesdropping without warrants has raised the court's profile. That was underscored by the appearance on Tuesday of the four former FISA judges: Judge Baker; Judge Stanley S. Brotman, who left the panel in 2004; Judge John F. Keenan, who left in 2001; and Judge William H. Stafford Jr., who left in 2003. All four sit on the federal judiciary.

At a hearing lasting more than three hours, the former FISA judges discussed in detail their views on the standards of proof required by the court, its relations with the Justice Department, and the constitutional, balance-of-power issues at the heart of the debate over the N.S.A. program. The agency monitored the international communications of people inside the United States believed to be linked to Al Qaeda.

The public broadcasting of the court's business struck some court watchers as extraordinary. "This is unprecedented," said Magistrate Judge Allan Kornblum, who supervised Justice Department wiretap applications to the court for many years and testified alongside the four former judges.

But the most pointed testimony may have come from a man who was not at the hearing: Judge Robertson.

A sitting federal judge in Washington, Judge Robertson resigned from the intelligence court just days after the N.S.A. program was disclosed.

Colleagues say he resigned in frustration over the fact that none of the court's 11 judges, except for the presiding judge, were briefed on the program or knew of its existence. But Judge Robertson has remained silent, declining all requests for interviews, and his comments entered into The Congressional Record on Tuesday represented his first public remarks on the controversy.

In a March 23 letter in response to a query from Mr. Specter, the judge said he supported Mr. Specter's proposal "to give approval authority over the administration's electronic surveillance program" to the court.

The Bush administration, in its continued defense of the program, maintains that no change in the law is needed because the president has the inherent constitutional authority to order wiretaps without warrants in defense of the country.

Mr. Specter's proposal seeks to give the intelligence court a role in ruling on the legitimacy of the program. A competing proposal by Senator Mike DeWine, Republican of Ohio, would allow the president to authorize wiretaps for 45 days without Congressional oversight or judicial approval.

Judge Robertson made clear that he believed the FISA court should review the surveillance program. "Seeking judicial approval for government activities that implicate constitutional protections is, of course, the American way," he wrote.

But Judge Robertson argued that the court should not conduct a "general review" of the surveillance operation, as Mr. Specter proposed. Instead, he said the court should rule on individual warrant applications for eavesdropping under the program lasting 45 or 90 days.

Acknowledging the need for secrecy surrounding such a program, he said the FISA court was "best situated" for the task. "Its judges are independent, appropriately cleared, experienced in intelligence matters, and have a perfect security record," Judge Robertson said.

He did not weigh in on the ultimate question of whether he considered the N.S.A. program illegal. The judges at the committee hearing avoided that politically charged issue despite persistent questioning from Democrats, even as the judges raised concerns about how the program was put into effect.

Judge Baker said he felt most comfortable talking about possible changes to strengthen the foreign intelligence law. "Whether something's legal or illegal goes beyond that," he said, "and that's why I'm shying away from answering that."
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6839
The topic was " Eveidence of Bias "  one foot out the door and " Lost again ".
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6655

Horseman 77 wrote:

The topic was " Eveidence of Bias "  one foot out the door and " Lost again ".
Hmmmm, that's supposed to mean something... anyone know what?  Is horsey off the rocker again.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6839
over his head like the curb. You bring a lot of joy whenever you leave the room.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
Enough condescending, random posts Horseman.

Anyways. For a nice example of media bias, see this

Last edited by Spark (2006-04-26 00:08:53)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6839

Spark wrote:

wow you are right, " The Iraq crisis " what a joke. me and " nutterbutter un origanal " have a history, sorry.
He attacked me so I knock him flat. Will refrian. again sorry
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6655

Horseman 77 wrote:

Spark wrote:

wow you are right, " The Iraq crisis " what a joke. me and " nutterbutter un origanal " have a history, sorry.
IN YOUR MIND you did.  Remember those key words:  IN YOUR MIND
wannabe_tank_whore
+5|6779

Spark wrote:

I have a newer study that states the opposite:

http://www.newsroom.ucla.edu/page.asp?RelNum=6664
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Senate Judiciary Committee  said, "If a court refuses a FISA application and there is not sufficient time for the president to go to the court of review, the president can under executive order act unilaterally, which he is doing now."

Also, just this week five former FISA judges said that Bush's actions were entirely appropriate and legal. 

Anybody see this on the news?  This is a perfect example of media bias.  Anybody else have examples of bias towards the current administration?
How is this an example of media bias?  Where is the media?  All you have is a quote by the Senate Judiciary Committee, and last time I checked they were in no way affiliated with the media.
wannabe_tank_whore
+5|6779

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

How is this an example of media bias?  Where is the media?  All you have is a quote by the Senate Judiciary Committee, and last time I checked they were in no way affiliated with the media.
You hit the nail on the head.  I'll quote myself, "Anybody see this on the news?"  Months before the media berated the President for "illegal wiretappings" but when the Senate Judiciary Committee exonerated the President the media remained silent.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6839

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

Spark wrote:

IN YOUR MIND you did.  Remember those key words:  IN YOUR MIND
You will go far in my opinion and the Sooner you start the better.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6839

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

It seems rather clear That he was found to be well withen his Legal powers and " the Media " didn't report it to keep the ( Big brother is Spying on you ! ) Theme  alive.

That, he feels is Bias and so it appears to me.
It is generaly accepted that our Networks at least lean Heavy left. Examples abound.

Last edited by Horseman 77 (2006-04-27 14:21:33)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard