baggs
+732|6205
HaiBai, who are you exactly?
phishsux
­
+131|5133
im about as lazy as they come, and high school was a fucking breeze. step your shit up
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5179|Sydney

11 Bravo wrote:

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

Bevo wrote:

you're being a dumbass marine

86% of admissions were top 10% of their hs
i got into UT and i was not at the top of my class
no kim you have to be so uber smart to go to UT kim dammit.

however, even though i think college stats are padded, this also shows what is wrong with college.  who needs school more, the top 10 or lower 90?  elitist cunts.
Mainly whilst studying engineering or medicine.

Ho.

Ho ho.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5238|Cleveland, Ohio

Jaekus wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

i got into UT and i was not at the top of my class
no kim you have to be so uber smart to go to UT kim dammit.

however, even though i think college stats are padded, this also shows what is wrong with college.  who needs school more, the top 10 or lower 90?  elitist cunts.
Mainly whilst studying engineering or medicine.

Ho.

Ho ho.
lolz
im not sure UT(well not just UT persay.. but those big ass schools) would be good for you anyway with those first year weed out classes made to drop students(it feels like) you won't be able to talk to all of your teachers....but you can make an appt with the TA ..your classes would have like 80 students haha.. (that environment for me = fail)
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6366|California

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

im not sure UT(well not just UT persay.. but those big ass schools) would be good for you anyway with those first year weed out classes made to drop students(it feels like) you won't be able to talk to all of your teachers....but you can make an appt with the TA ..your classes would have like 80 students haha.. (that environment for me = fail)
300 students please
pilebomb
+8|6120
You won't get into U of I with a 2.9. Maybe journalism or some other stupid shit but not the engineering or business that makes it worth a damn to get a degree there. Probably gonna have to go the community college route.
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.
Don't go college.

Start a lawnmowing business.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6108|Birmingham, UK
my dad used to be an ice cream van man do that
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

It's easier to be lazy in college than in HS.  You're screwed.

Plastic, not paper.  Thanks boy...

Last edited by Ilocano (2010-04-14 14:40:22)

Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6236|Texas
Pretty much you're going to have to work your ass off for the next couple of years. Try to get your GPA as high as you can and apply to smaller U of I schools with easier admission standards or community college. Get a couple of credits out of the way while finding extracurricular activities and if you can, a job. Develop a good GPA and resume then apply to U of I. I'm guessing Urabana Champaign? It's not the end of the world, but now you have to give up what you want in place of what you need.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6655

CapnNismo wrote:

I find it ludicrous that there are application fees. I hated that when I was applying for uni in the US. As if tuition isn't high enough they also charge you a non-refundable fee just to get them to look at your application.
To be fair, if there weren't, every single student would apply to every single university because hell, why not? It saves everyone a lot of time if they charge you so that only people serious about going to the school will apply. Plus, I wouldn't want my application overlooked because the admissions people had way too many on their plate and they skimmed through half of them and threw away the other half; let's face it, that's exactly what would happen if there were enough applicants.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5702|College Park, MD
O lawdy if you want a good pay with just high school education:

-Become a UPS driver. It's not easy to get to that position, but the union they're with (Teamsters) has leveraged great benefits and pay from UPS (which makes a lot of money). It's also not easy work, but they make about $70K/year if I'm not mistaken.

-Become a Metrorail operator here in DC... there was a report a while back that the highest-earning operators made about $150,000/year. They obviously put in a lot of overtime but that's still a LOT of money for something a trained simian could do. The union has a stranglehold on the transit agency, and since it's publicly funded they don't really care that their salaries and benefits are unsustainable.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
13/f/taiwan
+940|5699
Dude you're still young(15?). There is a long way to go. Fortunately for you, you're in high school. If you apply yourself now you can be anything you want(srs). Don't take the easy way out by getting a HS Diploma and get some menial job that will make you regret not being all you can be. It's not worth it.
bennisboy
+829|6647|Poundland
Only way you'll break your habit of laziness is by setting yourself a work schedule until it becomes a habit. It works
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone

mtb0minime wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

I find it ludicrous that there are application fees. I hated that when I was applying for uni in the US. As if tuition isn't high enough they also charge you a non-refundable fee just to get them to look at your application.
To be fair, if there weren't, every single student would apply to every single university because hell, why not? It saves everyone a lot of time if they charge you so that only people serious about going to the school will apply. Plus, I wouldn't want my application overlooked because the admissions people had way too many on their plate and they skimmed through half of them and threw away the other half; let's face it, that's exactly what would happen if there were enough applicants.
Over looked?

It's not hard to put your marks into a computer, sort in descending order and send out acceptances to the top 5000 students.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6655

But they don't always pick the people with the highest scores. They want actual people and not robots attending the university. My SAT scores weren't nearly as high as everyone else's, my GPA wasn't nearly as high as everyone else's, so maybe my personal statement had something to do with getting in? In which case they'd have a shit load more to read if everyone in the universe applied... and we're back at my previous post.
Laika
+75|5945
Sorry, but with grades like that, you're not getting in. Work really hard from now on and you have a shot, but you should probably also start looking at less selective schools.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

why waste the money if you are not going to try?
This tbh.

OP: If you can grind your way through a high-tech community college course and pull a 4.0, not only will you probably get a letter from the dean but you could also use your achievement to get into a regular college. If you're lazy again, chances are you'd be better off not wasting your time with expensive colleges.

It doesn't matter if you're "ahead" if you have no gumption.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-04-14 20:39:12)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone

mtb0minime wrote:

But they don't always pick the people with the highest scores. They want actual people and not robots attending the university. My SAT scores weren't nearly as high as everyone else's, my GPA wasn't nearly as high as everyone else's, so maybe my personal statement had something to do with getting in? In which case they'd have a shit load more to read if everyone in the universe applied... and we're back at my previous post.
Personal statement?

No offence but the US system sounds overly complicated, retarded and expensive for no reason what so ever.
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney
My ex has an entrance score of 99.7, she got into one of the G8 unis and at the moment her GPA is above 6, doing a Bachelor of Environmental Management.
She's fucking smart.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

mtb0minime wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

The US needs a University application clearing system, like er the whole of the rest of the world already has....
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6391

Jaekus wrote:

My ex has an entrance score of 99.7, she got into one of the G8 unis and at the moment her GPA is above 6, doing a Bachelor of Environmental Management.
She's fucking smart.
I had the impression that the only universities worth getting into here were those of G8...mostly because there aren't that many unis in Australia.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2010-04-15 05:36:55)

Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6666|NT, like Mick Dundee

Jaekus wrote:

She's fucking smart.
She should have done her HSC/NTCE/SACE etc. in a remote area.

A dude from my old town, after aggregates and allowances for moderation, remote area schooling and corrospondence, ended up with a ranking of like 102-112 depending on the university and whether they gave bonuses for certain courses, corrospondence education and being in a remote arae.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney
It depends what you want to do. The VCA in Melbourne isn't one of the G8 but if you want to study music, it's the best in Australia (I play a lot of music, have a couple friends who have degrees from there, it's really hard to get into).

There are other unis like that. Launceston Uni, believe it or not, is about the best in Australia for studying nursing.

My ex studies at St Lucia, the lecturers there are the top of their field nationally and have a lot of repute internationally.

She said the only 2 courses you need an entrance score of 99.9 or higher was veterinary science and astrophysics.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard