eleven bravo
+1,399|5433|foggy bottom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altadena,_California
technically I dont even live in a city, i live in unincorporated county land.  But, i do live about 100 meters away from the pasadena/altadena border
Tu Stultus Es
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6838|NT, like Mick Dundee

FatherTed wrote:

flecs my village is 14k. and thats small.
Look, the NT only has like 200k people so gtfo you lot.

Just because it's like 5 times the size of the UK with like 4% of the population.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6646|Kakanien
on a side note: why is it that americans mostly build wooden houses?
dill13
+67|6367

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Wood is cheap, abundant, is easy and quick.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6646|Kakanien

dill13 wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

but it is not very enduring. 99,5 % of all the german private houses are built of bricks. building a house myself atm, i would never want to have a wooden one. an american once told me, that germans are building their houses for 3 generations, whereas americans build them for 1 generation...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6774|132 and Bush

Florida got most of it. I've dealt with many homes that have had it. You will see ash like stuff on the pipes and wiring. You have to strip down to the shell to fix.

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Most new homes are not wood framed. Especially in Florida. Hurricanes ya know.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jsnipy
+3,276|6696|...

Turquoise wrote:

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Yes, Chinese drywall is a real hazard and not part of some far-fetched conspiracy.
this
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6774|132 and Bush

This all began when we had the shortage following Katrina (rebuilding) btw. We normally don't import that much. The problem is most of it is unbranded, hard to trace. We (at my office) had to go through Chinese drywall classes two years ago, when the problem became really evident.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
eleven bravo
+1,399|5433|foggy bottom
as far as I know brick crumbles to pieces in an earthquake
Tu Stultus Es
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6774|132 and Bush

Does better in high winds.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
eleven bravo
+1,399|5433|foggy bottom
thats what the smart pig did.  but I bet he didnt live in california.
Tu Stultus Es
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6774|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

is it all a lie designed to stimulate the construction economy, wreck the insurance industry and make chinese imports less appealing?
We ran completely out when these major imports happened. There was absolutely no problem with drywall sales after Katrina.

This is a problem in homes built in 2005-08. There is no mistaking the smell in a house with Chinese drywall. sulfur like.. the pipes are corroding.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6848|Canberra, AUS

Kmarion wrote:

ATG wrote:

is it all a lie designed to stimulate the construction economy, wreck the insurance industry and make chinese imports less appealing?
We ran completely out when these major imports happened. There was absolutely no problem with drywall sales after Katrina.

This is a problem in homes built in 2005-08. There is no mistaking the smell in a house with Chinese drywall. sulfur like.. the pipes are corroding.
Smells like shit, quite literally.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6838|NT, like Mick Dundee

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

dill13 wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

but it is not very enduring. 99,5 % of all the german private houses are built of bricks. building a house myself atm, i would never want to have a wooden one. an american once told me, that germans are building their houses for 3 generations, whereas americans build them for 1 generation...
You want the outer shell of bricks.

Renovating or altering a building entirely of brick is a total bastard of a job, time consuming and expensive, as is having new electrical points and such added. Steel/wood frame internal walls mean you can quickly and relatively easily shift walls, gpos, fit new plumbing and such around the building on the internal walls if you want to.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5532|London, England

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

dill13 wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Most offspring do not stay in the same town they grew up in. Becoming a 'townie' is something that generally receives mockery.

Remember, our country is by no means full, there are billions of acres of uninhabited land and we know it, so we move around a lot. It's very rare for someone to live in the same town all of their life, let alone across generations.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
BVC
+325|6869
Wood is fine for a mutli-generational housing material, provided you use good/treated stuff of course.  Doing your weatherboards right the first time around can save a lot of headaches.

How long does steel house framing last for?

Last edited by Pubic (2010-04-04 19:49:42)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6703|Global Command

Kmarion wrote:

ATG wrote:

Speaking of pipes corroding...my slab is leaking again.
There are so many final straws I head a hay bailer.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6279|eXtreme to the maX

ATG wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

ATG wrote:

Didn't you say there are some rail cars full of dynamite up the road?
Fuck Israel
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6855|Disaster Free Zone

Flecco wrote:

Alice? Yeah. Well, probs a large one. 30,000 people isn't tiny so to speak.
It's pretty small.
20% smaller then Bathurst.
Half the size of Coffs Habour.
A fifth the size of Cairns.
A twentieth the size of Newcastle.
About 0.6% the size of Sydney.

In fact its so damn small, its only 50% bigger then my suburb.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6703|Global Command

Dilbert_X wrote:

ATG wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Didn't you say there are some rail cars full of dynamite up the road?
That's in Saltdale, 185 miles away.

But, I get the point.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Pubic wrote:

Wood is fine for a mutli-generational housing material, provided you use good/treated stuff of course.  Doing your weatherboards right the first time around can save a lot of headaches.

How long does steel house framing last for?
Weatherboards

Steel framing should last 'forever', however I have heard much of it so thin these days even a minor fire and your house is a right-off.
It warps to hell and collapses whereas wood would just char a bit.
Plus it squeaks.
Fuck Israel
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5411|Cleveland, Ohio
brick house, steel roof.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

11 Bravo wrote:

brick house, steel roof.
You live in a toilet?
Fuck Israel
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5411|Cleveland, Ohio

Dilbert_X wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

brick house, steel roof.
You live in a toilet?
no...i dont have a steel roof or brick house.  just saw an advert for a steel roof.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|7017|Reykjavík, Iceland.

11 Bravo wrote:

brick house, steel roof.
Concrete, concrete and nothing but concrete tbh. Designed to survive serious earthquakes.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard