I see what you did thar
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6666|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
I didnt, but I do now
Jean_Peste_tu?
Yes I Do
+44|6612|Auteuil, Laval
Thanks for the karma m8.

I've spotted a small error.  You have capitalized most "visitor" words except the first one in French.

The question I was asking is because I'm in printing for 23 years now.  Is it too late to repair?

Well with my mother b-Day and being in vacation, I've missed your posts.  I hope your not at the final flats before burning the meshes.

I'm in sheet feed format, lithography to be more precise.  15,000 shts per our is far from silkscreen capability but we are limited in other ways.

Can you silkscreen on round forms?  (You perverts I'm not thinking about boobies kthks!) 
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
'27.

it is personnel protective clothing, not personal

make sure you don't mistake them!

personnel = people employed by the business, the official protective clothing of the organization

personal = their own protective clothing from home

the first one makes sense - the other doesn't.

best o' luck!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
ruisleipa
+149|6214|teh FIN-land

Uzique wrote:

it is personnel protective clothing, not personal

make sure you don't mistake them!

personnel = people employed by the business, the official protective clothing of the organization

personal = their own protective clothing from home

the first one makes sense - the other doesn't.
I think you're wrong. Both make sense but personal is more correct. The sentence he wanted translated:
ALL VISITORS MUST WEAR PERSONAL PROTECTIVE CLOTHING WHILST ON SITE

If they're a visitor then they might not have 'personnel' protective clothing since they're not employed by the company, or one has been supplied by the company. Also 'personnel protective clothing' sounds weirder I reckon. If it's not 'personal' why bother saying 'personnel protective clothing'? It's bad English. Why? Personal is an adjective, personnel is a noun.

Personal would make sense if they have to supply their own clothes. It could be either way that is intended but your analysis of the language is incorrect.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

Neither word seems necessary, but personnel does make more sense.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
personnel clothing is a common-term in every day english.

inferiority complex? i study english, speak the language and live in the country.

the signs say 'personnel clothing'.

the best way to clarify this is just to ask what the damn client actually means. it seems a little retarded to ask a visitor to bring their own equipment.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
ruisleipa
+149|6214|teh FIN-land

Uzique wrote:

i study english, speak the language and live in the country.
LOL well your English is best when you're writing personal insults on this forum so well done. I say inferiority complex because 90% of your posts involve insulting someone, rudely, and childishly.

Uzique wrote:

personnel clothing is a common-term in every day english.
lmfao no it isn't. Where did you last see that written down? Not saying it doesn't make sense, just that it's not common and everyday like you seem to think it is.

Last edited by ruisleipa (2010-03-31 01:03:40)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
i last saw it written on the signs of one of the several building-contracting companies that my grandfather owns- the industry he has worked in all of his life.

so where's your hunch coming from, genius?

most building sites, factories or places of vocational-danger will have a locker space or room to keep 'personnel clothing': hard-hats, high-vis jackets, steel-cap boots, protective gloves etc. it makes a LOT more sense and is FAR more contextually-plausible than saying 'personal clothing'.

Last edited by Uzique (2010-03-31 01:05:45)

ruisleipa
+149|6214|teh FIN-land

ruisleipa wrote:

BUT EITHER ONE MAKES SENSE DEPENDING ON WHAT THE OP WANTS TO SAY.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
half of translation is knowing the context, connotations and implications of the word and phrase.

doesn't matter whether you're translating a 5-word sign or 19th century french prose. you need that attention.
ruisleipa
+149|6214|teh FIN-land
And you're saying it doesn't make sense having 'personal protective clothing'. If it's not the meaning that they have to have their own clothing, i.e. that they own the clothes, then they have to have their own clothing in the sense that THEY ARE WEARING THEM and not anyone else, and they're not sharing their helmet or whatever. Personal clothing. If you can't see how that makes more sense than 'personnel protective clothing' then you certainly do need some attention paying to your understanding of the language.

Uzique wrote:

most building sites, factories or places of vocational-danger will have a locker space or room to keep 'personnel clothing': hard-hats, high-vis jackets, steel-cap boots, protective gloves etc. it makes a LOT more sense and is FAR more contextually-plausible than saying 'personal clothing'.
Of course they have lockers for the personnel's clothes. Whose clothes will they have if not the personnel's? Can I walk in off the street and leave my jacket there? No, cos I'm not personnel. It's practically a truism. 'Personnel clothing' is clothing only for personnel. But what if I'm a visitor surveying the site? I don't need 'personnel' clothing, although I COULD borrow clothing intended for or belonging to the personnel, but I need 'personal' protective clothing cos there's no point trying to share is there?

Uzique wrote:

it doesn't make sense for a visitor to have to bring their own fucking hard-hats and helmets to a work-site, does it?
Hey Frilly Pants (sorry mate, he started it) I have to keep a hard hat and a fucking hi vis vest and proper boots in my van incase I get called out to building sites, as you turn up quite often site signs warn you 'No entery beyond this point without correct PPE' years ago I used to mnake signs saying 'PPE is provided for your protection and must be worn', how times have changed, you have to take your own now.
ruisleipa
+149|6214|teh FIN-land
PPE meaning Personal Protective Equipment right?
Yeah its how people in my trade call it rather than the full three words.
ruisleipa
+149|6214|teh FIN-land
Oh right cheers.
hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
+84|6479|Newcastle Upon Tyne.

1927 wrote:

One of our customers, our biggest http://www.scafftag.com/index may require 10,000 of a particular sign.  We would screen print them, maybe 10 up on one sheet, and then guillotine them down (putting 50 in at a time), then use a 'corner cutter' to remove the sharp corners.  Our customer buys them for eg 18p@, buys a pen, a holder and will sell 10 pens, 10 inserts (the bit we make) and 10 holders for £70.  A huge mark up.  They buy and sell our goods all over the world to people like Tate and Lyle, Glaxo, Rolls Royce to name a few.  We have had loads of people start up a business to try and muscle in but the experience we have keeps us in good stead.  Scafftag were bought by The Brady Corporation a few years ago and we started shitting bricks.  Brady's already own Signs and Labels (a huge saftey sign company) and we naturally thought 'oh shit thats the end of us then'.  However, we can make a better quality product, for less money in less time than one of Scafftag's sister companies.  So for now they remain loyal.
I use 4-5 of them every day Didnt have a clue who made them.
ruisleipa
+149|6214|teh FIN-land
So Uzique are you ready to admit your understanding of this issue was incorrect, and apologise to me at the same time? No? Surprise.

hawaythelads wrote:

1927 wrote:

One of our customers, our biggest http://www.scafftag.com/index may require 10,000 of a particular sign.  We would screen print them, maybe 10 up on one sheet, and then guillotine them down (putting 50 in at a time), then use a 'corner cutter' to remove the sharp corners.  Our customer buys them for eg 18p@, buys a pen, a holder and will sell 10 pens, 10 inserts (the bit we make) and 10 holders for £70.  A huge mark up.  They buy and sell our goods all over the world to people like Tate and Lyle, Glaxo, Rolls Royce to name a few.  We have had loads of people start up a business to try and muscle in but the experience we have keeps us in good stead.  Scafftag were bought by The Brady Corporation a few years ago and we started shitting bricks.  Brady's already own Signs and Labels (a huge saftey sign company) and we naturally thought 'oh shit thats the end of us then'.  However, we can make a better quality product, for less money in less time than one of Scafftag's sister companies.  So for now they remain loyal.
I use 4-5 of them every day Didnt have a clue who made them.
I found one one day on the pebbly beach near us like, randomly washed up and the ink etc was scratched to fuck but still there on it, made a cracking photo.
hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
+84|6479|Newcastle Upon Tyne.
There must be hundreds of thousands in circulation, we have between 2 and 3 thousand of them...

hawaythelads wrote:

There must be hundreds of thousands in circulation, we have between 2 and 3 thousand of them...
I reckon we have done it for about 30 years, my ol man started doing work for them the day they started.  30 Differnt kinds and shapes approx, 15 languages approx.  We've watched them grow from nothing to when the boss sold it about 5 years ago for a few mill.  As I say its not the kind of thing anyone can do, one of their own who have the latest equipment etc cant.  We just dont charge enough.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6708
Here are vector flags free to download in .eps format
http://www.vectorportal.com/flags/type.asp?iType=66
Love is the answer
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6706|Purplicious Wisconsin
English flag http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_England.svg

Much easier than the Union Flag as you just need to make a white flag with a red cross that is directly centered.

Last edited by War Man (2010-03-31 16:48:21)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
They were all pretty easy tbf, piece of piss like, they'll be pretty quick to cut in vinyl and stick down aswell.  When I designed them I put an outline around it, had to use white due to the background colour (black wouldnt show up).  The german being the hardest, take me about 2 mins

Sent my quote out today, see what happens next week, I get about 85% of my quotes.  making them on Ali Composite sheets

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard