Benzin
+576|6001
It depends on what you do. It's certainly a beautiful Linux distro. I personally have never booted into XP since I've installed it. My girlfriend likes to use XP, though, and I wouldn't mind keeping it around. As a second OS that you can use whenever you honestly don't need XP, it's perfect. It also doesn't take much space and the partition manager that is built into the ISO (boot the installer off a USB stick, dont try using the EXE installer) works just fine. It didn't delete any of the data on my SSD when I messed with the partition and made room for Jolicloud.
Benzin
+576|6001
New kernel out since a few days. Up to version 0.8 now.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6133|Carnoustie MASSIF
Bamp.

Gonna install this now, but does it only just install alongside your Windows Install, or can you completely wipe the HDD and start over, or am I being a complete tool?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6759|Scotland

CammRobb wrote:

Bamp.

Gonna install this now, but does it only just install alongside your Windows Install, or can you completely wipe the HDD and start over, or am I being a complete tool?
Both can be done.
CammRobb
Banned
Wowzer, that was the easiest install I've ever done. Piece of piss, and damn this shit is fast.
Benzin
+576|6001
The RC is now out (imagine that is what you have, Camm). Going to update my computer today and get it, too.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5791|Catherine Black
Tried it and got some error when it tried to boot into it.. Something about something being "null or invalid".
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Benzin
+576|6001
Try installing it on your netbook again. You might also want to look at the list of supported devices that it works on...
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5791|Catherine Black
I'm trying to put it on my desktop
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Benzin
+576|6001
Well that might be your problem. Just put Ubuntu on there...
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6289|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

liquidat0r wrote:

Finray wrote:

How is game compatibility? I might try it out.
Well you're not really supposed to play games on netbooks ...
Netbooks do quite well for some Diablo II and retro gaming

Last edited by FloppY_ (2010-03-31 05:31:03)

­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Benzin
+576|6001
Just a quick thing I posted on the Jolicloud forum to fix/edit the boot prompt so you can select between XP and whatever Jolicloud kernels you have installed and how to remove old kernels:

1) Install Start-up Manager via these instructions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/StartUpManager (even though that is for Ubuntu, it will still work for Jolicloud) Here you can manage all of your start-up settings without ever having to work with a txt file or the command line.

2) To remove the old kernels, open a terminal and enter the following command

Code:

sudo synaptic
Type in your password and you are now in the Synaptic Package Manager. Go to the Search bar and type in "jolicloud" and press Enter. Then there will be a long line of various packages and some will have green boxes next to them, others will not. Sort them by whether or not they are checked (click the column header above the green/white boxes). Now scroll down until you find the various images/kernels for Jolicloud. When you find a version you wish to remove, click its green box and mark it for complete removal. It's good practice to always keep the most recent kernel and the last kernel you know you didn't have any issues with. For me this is the most recent and the version before it.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them here.
baggs
+732|6207
I'm going to buy a netbook today, probably an Acer Aspire One. Should Jolicloud be the first thing i install?

From what i've read in here and seen elsewhere, it looks ideal for my purposes.
Benzin
+576|6001
Yes.
baggs
+732|6207

CapnNismo wrote:

Yes.
Thanks
CammRobb
Banned

baggs wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

Yes.
Thanks
yeah it's really, really good.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4971|Dundee, Scotland.
Big ol' Bampity Bamp!

My sister came to me asking to speed up her netbook, I suggest we could put Linux on it, she didn't know what that was. (She only knows of Windows and Mac OS)

So, whilst figuring out which distro to install I remembered about some operating system that Tazz mentioned a while ago.

So I've downloaded the ISO, and bootable USB creater, and I'm away to install it, see what it's like now!
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6778|Moscow, Russia

max wrote:

It's ubuntu all right, gnome and all.
Runs 2.6.30 kernel, so hardware support should be good

Personally I'd just install a regular distro and then start tweaking
why's this thread still going on after this^?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4971|Dundee, Scotland.

Shahter wrote:

max wrote:

I bumped because this is for a 13 year old girl, I have limited experience with Linux, and I highly doubt my sister is able to learn Linux commands for installing stuff!
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6778|Moscow, Russia

Camm wrote:

Shahter wrote:

max wrote:

I bumped because this is for a 13 year old girl, I have limited experience with Linux, and I highly doubt my sister is able to learn Linux commands for installing stuff!
if one so desires, ubuntu (and a number of other distro's) is 100% gui these days.
Benzin
+576|6001
That's the beauty with Jolicloud, Camm - you really don't need to learn any commands at all unless something really goes wrong or you want to start getting creative with the installation. All of the programs you'd really possibly need are in their "app store" - she really shouldn't have a hard time working with that.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6778|Moscow, Russia
same goes for just about any modern linux distro. just pick one that goes easier on the system resources and you'll be fine. no need to go "creative" with the installation at all.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6177|Sydney | ♥

Shahter wrote:

same goes for just about any modern linux distro. just pick one that goes easier on the system resources and you'll be fine. no need to go "creative" with the installation at all.
Just let the coon use what he wants. jeezus.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
jsnipy
+3,276|6525|...

tazz. wrote:

Shahter wrote:

pretty much this. Anything other than answering the question is pretty much just "projecting" how smart you think you are.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6778|Moscow, Russia

jsnipy wrote:

tazz. wrote:

Shahter wrote:

pretty much this. Anything other than answering the question is pretty much just "projecting" how smart you think you are.
not "projecting" anything. just pointing out that any linux distro is just that - a linux distro.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard