TehMyke
8======D
+343|6717
Hey /b/f2s,

Going to bestbuy (probably) in like a few hours to get a router..

Currently looking at:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cisco+Links … Id=3906544

(looking at reviews at various places it supposedly has connection drops while torrenting/gaming (then again you cant go by customer reviews since 99% of the people that leave bad ones are usually complete idiots))

or should I get something else?

need:
- 4port (wired - running 2 pc's next to eachother kthx)
- supports forwarding/upnp/dmz, wtfever (lolwat)
- pro for torrents/games
- doesn't fucking suck
- isn't over $70 (kthx)

k go.

Last edited by TehMyke (2010-03-27 12:17:10)

» You guys are all old and wrinkly now, GG... | Steam | teHmyke.com | YouTube
13/f/taiwan
+940|5707
sup /m/yke

Last edited by 13/f/taiwan (2010-03-27 12:15:18)

Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6007|The Mitten
I've got some Linksys/Cisco one... out of the box was pretty meh, bu then I put DD-WRT firmware on it... this is the route i suggest going.
EE (hats
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5725|Vancouver, BC, Canada

Morpheus wrote:

I've got some Linksys/Cisco one... out of the box was pretty meh, bu then I put DD-WRT firmware on it... this is the route i suggest going.
But do some research on the DD-WRT site, the old-old models used to be really good for hacking, lots of RAM, lots of proc power, but as they released new revisions the specs dropped a bit every time.
I have no idea what kind of power they're running on now.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6007|The Mitten

TheDonkey wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

But do some research on the DD-WRT site, the old-old models used to be really good for hacking, lots of RAM, lots of proc power, but as they released new revisions the specs dropped a bit every time.
I have no idea what kind of power they're running on now.
huh, interesting...

Mine's a newer one - the black one, with internal antennas, works pretty well for me...
EE (hats
13/f/taiwan
+940|5707
get a linksys bro. i had mine for 6 years and it still works great.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6575|NYC / Hamburg

Linksys WRT54G and its variants. Put DD-WRT or tomato on it. Best solution if you don't need gigabit ethernet or wireless N
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5707

max wrote:

Linksys WRT54G
That's what I have.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6575|NYC / Hamburg

I have a WRT54GL as a secondary wireless access point
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Defiance
+438|6679

TehMyke wrote:

(looking at reviews at various places it supposedly has connection drops while torrenting/gaming (then again you cant go by customer reviews since 99% of the people that leave bad ones are usually complete idiots))
No, they're completely right. That thing will not function with torrents. I've got it sitting in a box in my closet and that is where it's going to stay, until I finally give up and throw it away. Absolutely the worst home router I've dealt with.

Personally, I wouldn't go with any home router, I'd set up an old computer with either smoothwall or vyatta. It's a little harder to setup but it's the best solution before you get in to small business routers.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6007|The Mitten

Defiance wrote:

TehMyke wrote:

No, they're completely right. That thing will not function with torrents. I've got it sitting in a box in my closet and that is where it's going to stay, until I finally give up and throw it away. Absolutely the worst home router I've dealt with.

Personally, I wouldn't go with any home router, I'd set up an old computer with either smoothwall or vyatta. It's a little harder to setup but it's the best solution before you get in to small business routers.
try DD-WRT

e:
This is the one I have... it SUCKED before I put the DD-WRT on it, now it's

Last edited by Morpheus (2010-03-27 15:32:35)

EE (hats
TehMyke
8======D
+343|6717
k so, i didn't go yet lulz...

ps, some pro IT guys are suggesting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6833320023

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6833320026

pro y/n?

Last edited by TehMyke (2010-03-27 17:26:07)

» You guys are all old and wrinkly now, GG... | Steam | teHmyke.com | YouTube
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6007|The Mitten
...those look like they've already got DD-WRT on them, lol
EE (hats
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6007|Vortex Ring State

Morpheus wrote:

Defiance wrote:

TehMyke wrote:

try DD-WRT

e:
This is the one I have... it SUCKED before I put the DD-WRT on it, now it's
DDWRT FTW.

Regarding those two, the default firmware is shit but the hardware is good.
alexb
<3
+590|5948|Kentucky, USA

Morpheus wrote:

They don't have dd-wrt preloaded, but they support it. Read the reviews.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6205|Winland

The Buffalo N routers are the new WRT54Gs. They come preloaded with DD-WRT.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
H3RB4L ABU53
+45|5875|123 | 456 | 789 | Δ
I used to use DDWRT years ago but been using Tomato since then- I'd say it's a lot better and better interface on it, and it has bandwidth graphs for how much people on the network are using.

I'm still using an old Linksys WRT54G and if you only want a wired connection you don't need anything else, any router will do for wired- newer routers won't do anything at all different except add support for faster wireless types.

I'd go for a Linksys if I was getting a new one, they're one of the best network brands in the world, and I think they look better than other brands as well

Last edited by H3RB4L ABU53 (2010-03-28 09:14:17)

Defiance
+438|6679

Morpheus wrote:

Defiance wrote:

TehMyke wrote:

try DD-WRT
Won't work on a BEFSR41, it's hardware is that shitty. I've actually moved on from the linux boxes, I'm quite happy with a Cisco ASA now.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6007|The Mitten

alexb wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Pfft.... like I even care.. i'm already set with a router
EE (hats
alexb
<3
+590|5948|Kentucky, USA

Morpheus wrote:

alexb wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Pfft.... like I even care.. i'm already set with a router

Seriously though, dd-wrt is awesome.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard