Pathfinder502
+0|6808
Hey,

How the heck to do hover in the helo without landing???? Thanks a bunch

Pathfinder
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6840|San Francisco

either use a joystick with a throttle and hold it at half, or just tap the throttle key on the keyboard, all while keeping the chopper level...
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6822|USA! USA! USA!
I find that if you don't push any buttons at all it will be just below hover.  So only every now and then do I have to tap the key to move back up just a little.  I quit using my joystick with the helos, because it was too freaking hard. 
YoBabysDaddy
+31|6816|St. Louis, MO
I use mouse and keyboard for flying Helos.
Controling your pitch with the mouse takes practice.I would suggest inverting the mouse on the helo controls.
All you have to do to hover is stay level and just tap the w key to stay up as needed.If you need to make a sudden stop just lean the nose up the level out.Just make small movements with the mouse,You'll get it.
I would also suggest the nose cam view.

Last edited by YoBabysDaddy (2005-08-30 00:16:52)

Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6822|USA! USA! USA!
Doesn't that circle on the HUD mean something about being level?  I just ignore it, but whenever I am level it tends to move towards the middle of the screen...
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6840|San Francisco

the circle does indeed mean you are hovering, it is just freaking hard to keep it perfectly center
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6822
A decent joystick makes it pretty easy, I couldn't even fly in a straight line with keyboard/mouse.
Pathfinder502
+0|6808
Thanks all for you suggestions....really appreciate them.
sinir
damned
+2|6811|Boston

tF-voodoochild wrote:

the circle does indeed mean you are hovering, it is just freaking hard to keep it perfectly center
LOL I never noticed that circle until you guys mentioned it.  I guess I am to busy either looking for victims or becoming one myself.
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6834|Missoula, MT
Circle, what circle?
Rewler
First Aid!!!
+0|6813

CMDR_Dave wrote:

Circle, what circle?
Here you gO <---- !!
DogGunn
DogGunn Eats BF2!
+4|6840

CMDR_Dave wrote:

Circle, what circle?
It the thing that goes to the side or the bottom of the HUD when you are moving foward,      I think.
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6822|USA! USA! USA!
I don't think it is even there when your no where near hovering...  But you can see it when you first get in...  Then it will go off the edge when you start moving the helo around...
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6826
I use to fly the helo with just the keyboard. then I got off my butt and programmed my joystick and I love it. I use my keyboard for throttle though. Easier than using the throttle lever.
Shadowblitz~DIE~
+0|6815
The circle is a indicator of ground movement relative to your helo , and only appears when closer than about 10-15 feet i think.

So when you first start forward movement it will drop toward the bottom of the hud, with any strafe involved it moves that way aswell, Backwards it will go towards the top of hud ect.

This is what ive found it to represent anyway , seems to be consistant.

I use the X52 saitek hotas setup and am very pleased with it.
I can hover without even thinking about it.
SCuM01
+0|6802
Hovering ....Iam still trying to keep the dam thing in the air ...Wish EA had put a training map into the game for pilot noobs like me . i know you can set up your own server but trying to get to the Helo before the bots do is a pain , plus  i only go little legs and cant run that fast..
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6840|San Francisco

Shadowblitz~DIE~ wrote:

The circle is a indicator of ground movement relative to your helo , and only appears when closer than about 10-15 feet i think.

So when you first start forward movement it will drop toward the bottom of the hud, with any strafe involved it moves that way aswell, Backwards it will go towards the top of hud ect.

No because you can hover 300 ft up and you still have the circle (see screenshot), it is a hover indicator... As for it being an indicator of ground movement, sure you could think about it that way. That is basically the same thing as a hover indicator since hovering is just a lack of lateral and longitudinal movement relative to the ground.

https://xs45.xs.to/pics/05361/screen028.jpg.xs.jpg

SCuM01 wrote:

i know you can set up your own server but trying to get to the Helo before the bots do is a pain.
Try hosting a local multiplayer server, then there will be no bots and you can practice flying all you want.
mort4u
Artillery catcher
+5|6831|Munich, Germany

SCuM01 wrote:

Hovering ....Iam still trying to keep the dam thing in the air ...Wish EA had put a training map into the game for pilot noobs like me . i know you can set up your own server but trying to get to the Helo before the bots do is a pain , plus  i only go little legs and cant run that fast..
just to make voodoos tip more precise.
go into multiplayer,, stop the server update and click "create local".
then select a map on the 32 or 64 setting and add it to the map list, 1 is enough cause u will never see the 2nd one , and i suggest either dalian plant or gulf of oman cause theres a lot of space andgood for getting the dfeeling for the choppers. also you may wannaget started with the transport helis cause they arent so jumpy-->easier to control.
make small movements and try to take off, land, go to the shore turn around and go back etc.
Glock21
+0|6802
I think it's supposed to be a "Hover Position Box", what it normally does is start tracking an 8'x8' area on the ground when you get to a hover, your objective to stay still and keep that in the center to maintain a tight hover. But I think it's flawed in that it thinks you are hovering before you actually want it to. It should help you learn to hover possibly, basically move your stick in the direction the box is moved. Basically if the box is up and right, move your stick up and right to stay over it.

Hovering though of course makes you an easy target. You are better off if you can do a controlled drift around an area, sliding sideways while using your tailrotor controls to turn you. Basically going around in a circle while watching the middle of the circle the whole time.
Glock21
+0|6802
Heh, lack of sleep = using word _Basically_ too much.

If you really want to test your flying skillz start up the game on Kubra Damn Multiplayer 64, join the US side, and fly the Cobra through the canyon at full speed, under the bridge, bank left towards the Dam and fly through the columns with the I beams at the top, up the hill, through the middle of the damn where the flag is, drop down inside the unfinished pipeline, fly all the way through and pop out the end w/o hitting the rebar. Think you're good now? Turn around and run the course in reverse. When you can do that regularly [as fast as you can] without crashing I'd say you got the hang of flying a helo. That course will test you pretty well.

Of course you still have to practice hovering if you want to.
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6822|USA! USA! USA!

Glock21 wrote:

Heh, lack of sleep = using word _Basically_ too much.

If you really want to test your flying skillz start up the game on Kubra Damn Multiplayer 64, join the US side, and fly the Cobra through the canyon at full speed, under the bridge, bank left towards the Dam and fly through the columns with the I beams at the top, up the hill, through the middle of the damn where the flag is, drop down inside the unfinished pipeline, fly all the way through and pop out the end w/o hitting the rebar. Think you're good now? Turn around and run the course in reverse. When you can do that regularly [as fast as you can] without crashing I'd say you got the hang of flying a helo. That course will test you pretty well.

Of course you still have to practice hovering if you want to.
Can I ride shotgun?
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6826

tF-voodoochild wrote:

Shadowblitz~DIE~ wrote:

No because you can hover 300 ft up and you still have the circle (see screenshot), it is a hover indicator... As for it being an indicator of ground movement, sure you could think about it that way. That is basically the same thing as a hover indicator since hovering is just a lack of lateral and longitudinal movement relative to the ground.

http://xs45.xs.to/pics/05361/screen028.jpg.xs.jpg
I never see the circle when hovering. only when I first take off do I see it.
SCuM01
+0|6802
Thanks Voodoo and Mort4u will try it out .....
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6761|Human Meat Shield
Thanks for the Helo input, me (just being ground and .... die ) wanted to learn how to fly, I use a Logitech and can go up/hover, then when I move forward I crash while the throttle is full. Noticed alot of people to get better Kill/Death ratio because they spend alot of time in Armor/Helos/Planes, being infantry have to be in a Squad or your dead, just now trying the Squad out. Anymore tactics on Helos' is greatly appreciated, but I wont be a Helo whore, still like infantry. :rolleyes
Col-Khadafi
+0|6789|Your Mom's House
Even with Heli Mouse settings to max, it can be hard to pull up hard if you're about to run into something. Saving you from those occasions is about all a joystick is good for. It too hard to fly strait/hit stuff with a joy. Stick with the mouse

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard