aimless
+166|6127|Texas
Has anyone tried this before? I want to take off all the keys and give my keyboard a good cleaning (no ty dishwasher). Been googling and a few sites recommend a screwdriver or paperclip to pry off the keys one by one. Has anyone ever tried this and broken their keys from too much pressure or broken a clip or something?
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6600|Seattle

I've repaired a lot of laptop keys. They have the most annoying little plastic clips that like to break.

Not sure if regular keyboards use the same clips... but I've seen many broken keyboards. My suggestion, get a trashable keyboard to test. Keep in mind, they're all probably different.

Edit: Also, blowing them out with canned air is fine for most. Hold it under running water to rinse it only if the keys are sticky. That's totally safe to do, I've done it many times. I love the looks on people's faces when your rinsing keyboards in the company sinks. Just let it dry for 3 days or so before you use it again.

Last edited by King_County_Downy (2010-03-24 17:13:47)

Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6648
yeah I did it for my desktops keyboard u just need something to pop out the keys then remember the correct order of where each one is gonna is supposed to be... but yeah not too hard... then u can use compressed air or whatever to clean it...
aimless
+166|6127|Texas
Yeah I tried compressed air first. There's a lot of bigger stuff in there that won't come out lol. I'll try the paperclip method and report back.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6648

aimless wrote:

Yeah I tried compressed air first. There's a lot of bigger stuff in there that won't come out lol. I'll try the paperclip method and report back.
yeah is the filthy stuff inside the keys or on the keyboard? yeah use a paper clip or something sharp wutever u have
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6002|The Mitten
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/keyboards_are_disgusting.png
EE (hats
Defiance
+438|6673

Take a flathead and start prying. Unless you've got a mechanical board or one that is similar to a laptops, there will be no problems.
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5719|Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just be careful with the Shift/Spacebar/Enter/other longer keys, pry them up in the middle, there's usually a wire underneath that makes the key press down evenly, it's not that hard to get back on but you have to look at the mechanics of where it fits in as you place the key down.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6002|Vortex Ring State

Defiance wrote:

Take a flathead and start prying. Unless you've got a mechanical board or one that is similar to a laptops, there will be no problems.
yup, and when you're done, just pop em right back into place. Might want to clean the underside of the keys too.
Defiance
+438|6673

Trotskygrad wrote:

Defiance wrote:

yup, and when you're done, just pop em right back into place. Might want to clean the underside of the keys too.
I usually put all my keys in to a large mouth water bottle with lukewarm water and a small amount of dish soap, shake it up a bit to clean them, then rinse them off in a spaghetti strainer and set them out on a towel to dry.
aimless
+166|6127|Texas
Yeah I pryed each key off with a small screwdriver and cleaned them with a bit of rubbing alcohol. I disassembled the rest of the keyboard and threw the top part (without the electronics) in the dishwasher. It was very dirty, but came out looking brand new. They keys are all uniform and actually depress 100%!
naightknifar
Served and Out
+642|6564|Southampton, UK

Another happy customer of Bf2s?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5791|Catherine Black
Fantastic! \o/

I've had to repair my ex's keyboard on her laptop a few times. Those keys are bastards.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard