mikkel
+383|6603

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

When students have extracurriculars and things to connect themselves with the school, they will do better.  School pride and everything?  You must have gone to a pretty lame school...
Whenever our sports teams did well the entire school was excited and was active.  More interest in school = better grades. Simple as that.
I went to Bayonne High School. We had Tennis courts, an ice rink, a pool, a large stadium, and an indoor basketball court as well an entire wing of the school used for art classes. Hell one kid, Kenny Brit, is in Pro football plays for the Tennessee Titans. It still didn't make a difference on grades. Student motivation was completely independent of how our sports teams were doing or how we could take a period to go skating around.
Sucky school then.  I`d hate to go to a high school with no pride or school spirit.
Pride in ones educational institution? Why must everyone take pride in everything? I cannot understand the mentality of building a cult of admiration around the very thing that's supposed to send you out into the world with an open mind.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

mikkel wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

I went to Bayonne High School. We had Tennis courts, an ice rink, a pool, a large stadium, and an indoor basketball court as well an entire wing of the school used for art classes. Hell one kid, Kenny Brit, is in Pro football plays for the Tennessee Titans. It still didn't make a difference on grades. Student motivation was completely independent of how our sports teams were doing or how we could take a period to go skating around.
Sucky school then.  I`d hate to go to a high school with no pride or school spirit.
Pride in ones educational institution? Why must everyone take pride in everything? I cannot understand the mentality of building a cult of admiration around the very thing that's supposed to send you out into the world with an open mind.
It's called alumni endowments.  A significant source of private school funding.  My son is strong in academics.  One of the top academic students in his class in fact.  He is also active in sports.  He has a private coach even.  I have him lined up to go to a private high school with a strong sports program as well as excellent academics with international travel opportunities.  And that high school has a strong alumni support network, including some power players in the Los Angeles government and private sector.   That social network is what will carry him into the work force after college.

Last edited by Ilocano (2010-03-24 13:19:10)

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5704|College Park, MD
ah the good ol' boys
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

never meanin' no harm
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

ah the good ol' boys
Ask any of your successful friends how they got their first real job break and/or high paying job.  Practically all of them will say some sort of connection.  Harsh reality.  But that's how life is.
2juk
+12|5179
Yeah it might happen again because everyone is sick of this shit.  Without creditation in our school many people would switch to St. Joe's, a private high nearby, for the sports.  There won't be any people even in SHS.  Sports are what keep ALOT of people in check and their grades up in my school.
mikkel
+383|6603

Ilocano wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

It's called alumni endowments.  A significant source of private school funding.  My son is strong in academics.  One of the top academic students in his class in fact.  He is also active in sports.  He has a private coach even.  I have him lined up to go to a private high school with a strong sports program as well as excellent academics with international travel opportunities.  And that high school has a strong alumni support network, including some power players in the Los Angeles government and private sector.   That social network is what will carry him into the work force after college.
Seems to me like taking the umbilical cord from one host and attaching it to another. When is it severed?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

mikkel wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Seems to me like taking the umbilical cord from one host and attaching it to another. When is it severed?
Never.  Why do you think many second generation immigrant Asians onward are successful.  Success is built on the generation before.  Shadow might be the exception though, what with his 'gangsta inclinations.  Yes, I have a few cousins who screwed up because they got too much of the easy life early on.  But they had parents who let them do anything.  My kids get everything as well, but I still control everything.  Think Triad crime boss respect.  That's me.  My boys are still free spirited, they still mess up the house and act like mad kids having fun, but when I say times up, that's it.  End of story.  Time for dinner, family time, then bed.  Get a "B" on a test?  Complete loss of all privileges until they get a 100% on the next test.  That's the way my dad raised me ( I respect him completely), and that's the way I'm raising my kids.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

Ilocano wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Never.  Why do you think many second generation immigrant Asians onward are successful.  Success is built on the generation before.  Shadow might be the exception though, what with his 'gangsta inclinations.  Yes, I have a few cousins who screwed up because they got too much of the easy life early on.  But they had parents who let them do anything.  My kids get everything as well, but I still control everything.  Think Triad crime boss respect.  That's me.  My boys are still free spirited, they still mess up the house and act like mad kids having fun, but when I say times up, that's it.  End of story.  Time for dinner, family time, then bed.  Get a "B" on a test?  Complete loss of all privileges until they get a 100% on the next test.  That's the way my dad raised me ( I respect him completely), and that's the way I'm raising my kids.
Pretty much.  A lot of this can be analogized with the market as a whole.

Capital accumulation occurs in every system known to man (including Communism) because of things like legacy.  As much as America sometimes pretends that all it takes is ambition to succeed, it really is more about synergy and connections.

Without adequate backing, neither an individual nor an institution can succeed in the long run.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5704|College Park, MD

Ilocano wrote:

Get a "B" on a test?  Complete loss of all privileges until they get a 100% on the next test.
Whoa, even the most asian of asian parents I knew weren't as strict
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Get a "B" on a test?  Complete loss of all privileges until they get a 100% on the next test.
their kids arent going to end becoming neuro surgeons
Tu Stultus Es
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

eleven bravo wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

their kids arent going to end becoming neuro surgeons
You aren't far from the truth.  Add robotics for remote surgery...
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718
Even if parents work 2 jobs they still care for the kids... Just because they don't have the time doesn't mean they don't care. My mom and dad are divorced and my dad is running is business constantly and sometimes we don't talk. He always wants me to show him my report card, asking me where I'm going to school etc. Our grades are pretty deflated at my school lol. Everyone who went to the states or canada (to really good private schools mind you) ended up with at least a 4.0 GPA and a lot of other goodies while some of them had a shitty 1.9-2.3 GPA.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard