blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6638
In this banking center walloped by the Great Recession, where unemployment just hit a 20-year high and as many as one in three black people are out of work, blacks could easily be frustrated with President Barack Obama's insistence that a rising economic tide for all will lift African-American boats.

Yet despite surging discontent among some black advocates over Obama's refusal to specifically target rising black unemployment, it's hard to find average black folks here who disagree with the president's approach."He has been addressing the black agenda as far as health care, education, all that," said Tamera Gomillion, a bill collector who has been struggling to pay her own bills.

"It took eight years to get into this mess, so it's going to take time to get us out," she said. "I voted for him, and I'll do it again."

The drumbeat for Obama to embrace a black agenda grew loudest Saturday, when PBS host Tavis Smiley convened a public meeting of prominent black activists and intellectuals in Chicago to demand policies tailored to the needs of blacks who have been hit disproportionately hard by the recession.Obama has refused from the beginning of his candidacy to separate the solutions to black America's economic problems from the country's at large. After he settled into his presidency, this stance placed him at odds with activists and the Congressional Black Caucus who once were the voice of black America.

But now, "nobody can go to Obama and say, 'This is what African-Americans want,'" said David Bositis, an expert on black politics at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies.

He called the debate an "awkward moment" for the CBC: "All of a sudden, there's someone else who represents African-Americans more, if you go by what African-Americans say, than they do."

"He's got bigger fish to fry" than a black agenda, said Beth James Davis, a marketing executive, as she ate dinner in a restaurant near downtown with her husband and two young children. "I'm not saying our fish isn't big, but he's got more important battles."

Shenika Simpson was watching her granddaughter at a playground in her Grier Heights neighborhood, which she described as "drug infested." An unemployed single mother, Simpson said that Obama "can't just jump in the chair and fix everything within a year."Should Obama do more to specifically help black people? "I feel he is doing it," Simpson said. "It's always going to be hard to find jobs. You got to go to school, graduate, do stuff to make it today. You can't depend on them to do it for you."

Gianna Butterfield, a graphic designer, said that while groups such as the Black Caucus used to speak for African-Americans, "Now we have Obama, and he seems to be speaking a little better."

South of downtown, outside of a convenience store where cigarette butts littered the ground near a "No Loitering" sign, military retiree James Norris said Obama "can't do nothing for one nationality over another."

Black people "got to blame something on something," Norris said. "It ain't something, it's your (expletive) self."

Not everyone supports Obama's approach. Patrick Graham, president of the local Urban League, estimated that black unemployment in the area was 2 1/2 times the overall rate. (Official statistics are not broken down by race.)

"If we don't pay attention, we will see these problems continue," he said.

Gyasi Foluke, a retired black studies professor and Air Force officer, said there was some value to Obama's "universal approach," but it would not address the long-standing inequities between blacks and whites."We are 400 years behind," Foluke said. "The universal approach has a fundamental flaw: You can never catch up.""But it is clever politics," Foluke continued. "If you have a black agenda, you cannot get elected in this country. ... I'm not against Obama. I voted for him, and I'll vote for him again. What choice do I have?"

source

In my opinion Obama is like any other politicians regardless of his race/color/ethnic background  they'r all crooked..(or most of 'em) anyways Obama did promise a lot, and he did not carry through he is just like a pawn he listens to what others tell him just like any other president.... certain black people blame it all on the Bush and may think ahh its gonna take some time to undue everything.... as far as Im concerned they all dance to the same tune... (politicians that is)....
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6657|NT, like Mick Dundee

Why is the fact that he has slightly darker skin than Bush such a fucking big deal? He's still a politician and thus probably a cunt anyway. We all know cunts come in all shapes, colours and sizes.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Marlo Stanfield
online poker tax cheating
+122|5155
Sorta sad thing is it'll be another 30 years before we have another black president after this one. We'll probably get a Hispanic one once we become the majority here but that'll happen way before anyone votes in another black guy.
Marlo Stanfield
+122|5155

Flecco wrote:

Why is the fact that he has slightly darker skin than Bush such a fucking big deal? He's still a politician and thus probably a cunt anyway. We all know cunts come in all shapes, colours and sizes.
Because human beings are prone to stereotyping especially when you live around a large amount of people that fit that stereotype.

https://www.yorkblog.com/flipside/img/soulja-boy-crank-that-video.jpeg
If you live in any urban area the chances are at least 80% of the blacks there are like that.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6638

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Because human beings are prone to stereotyping especially when you live around a large amount of people that fit that stereotype.

http://www.yorkblog.com/flipside/img/so … video.jpeg
If you live in any urban area the chances are at least 80% of the blacks there are like that.
well said about the stereo typing though ,
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5230|Cleveland, Ohio

blademaster wrote:

"It took eight years to get into this mess, so it's going to take time to get us out," she said. "I voted for him, and I'll do it again."
well this woman is a retard.  i bet its this chick...

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

11 Bravo wrote:

blademaster wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSEkOXRck6Y
OFC, McCain could have just waved a wand and you'd all be back in Kansas.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
11 Bravo
Banned

Dilbert_X wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

blademaster wrote:

OFC, McCain could have just waved a wand and you'd all be back in Kansas.
nope.  but, i dont think anyone can argue on a lot of controversial things that bush did....obama is still doing/not stopping.  thats a fact.
Marlo Stanfield
+122|5155

11 Bravo wrote:

blademaster wrote:

I prefer
11 Bravo
Banned

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

blademaster wrote:

I prefer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZs2zyrg2sU
proving once again stereotypes have validity.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5694|College Park, MD
I like that James Norris guy, he reminds me of MLK from The Boondocks.

What I don't get is what Obama has to do with a drug-infested neighborhood in NYC or whatever. He's not the mayor/chief of police, he's the president. He doesn't really have the time (or the care) to deal with something on such a local level. Complain about your mayor and police and neighbors not doing enough, not the guy with the highest seat in the land.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
hold up, youre complaining that Obama hasnt addressed "black needs" more specifically?  really?
Tu Stultus Es
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6398|North Carolina
Barack is having the effect of separating rational black people from idiotic ones.  Thankfully, Barack represents the rational ones, and hopefully, this means the rational ones are the majority.
Wreckognize
+294|6478
Black people "got to blame something on something," Norris said. "It ain't something, it's your (expletive) self."
Glad to see someone knows whats up.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Turquoise wrote:

Barack is having the effect of separating rational black people from idiotic ones.  Thankfully, Barack represents the rational ones, and hopefully, this means the rational ones are the majority.
Gee I thought Barack was supposed to represent us all. Not just "rational blacks". Well, at least we can agree he is a racist.

Last edited by lowing (2010-03-21 13:57:23)

blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6638

Wreckognize wrote:

Glad to see someone knows whats up.
hahahha yea well said
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Gee I thought Barack was supposed to represent us all. Not just "rational blacks". Well, at least we can agree he is a racist.
My mistake...  I should have said rational people.  Although, I realize that's still leaving you out.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

My mistake...  I should have said rational people.  Although, I realize that's still leaving you out.
It wasn't a mistake, you meant exactly what you said. You just couldn't cover for it and defend it, so you back peddle to "rational people".  It is not like it was a typo. You meant to type "rational blacks". Never back down form what you know to be true, unless it is proven not to be true, and in this case, you can not be proven incorrect.

Yup, I am irrational for wanting to actually work for myself instead of working for everyone else.

I am irrational for accepting responsiblity for myself and my actions.
I am irrational for insisting you do the same.

Tell me Turquoise this is the basis of all of my beliefs of a free man. What is so irrational about it?

Last edited by lowing (2010-03-22 10:26:31)

destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6619|Canada

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

It wasn't a mistake, you meant exactly what you said. You just couldn't cover for it and defend it, so you back peddle to "rational people".  It is not like it was a typo. You meant to type "rational blacks". Never back down form what you know to be true, unless it is proven not to be true, and in this case, you can not be proven incorrect.

Yup, I am irrational for wanting to actually work for myself instead of working for everyone else.

Tell me Turquoise this is the basis of all of my beliefs of a free man. What is so irrational about it?
This forum is a repeating record...
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom

destruktion_6143 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

if its a repeating record for standing by my principles, guilty as charged...

is what he's gonna say
Tu Stultus Es
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

destruktion_6143 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I am irrational for accepting responsibility for myself and my actions.

So are the constant unfounded accusations and assaults, and I will defend myself against them. ( or at least until someone posts something I actually said to form their argument), that would be a breath of fresh air as well.

Last edited by lowing (2010-03-22 10:44:32)

destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6619|Canada

lowing wrote:

destruktion_6143 wrote:

lowing wrote:

I am irrational for accepting responsibility for myself and my actions.

So are the constant unfounded accusations and assaults, and I will defend myself against them. ( or at least until someone posts something I actually said to form their argument), that would be a breath of fresh air as well.
Like I said. A repeating record. On both ends, not just an accusation to you. All topics degrade to Liberal vs Conservative. And after that point, it is all the same. Lame accusations vs lowing and co., then a retort by lowing and co. Then comes a counter by the Liberals, followed by a remark by the cons.... which always either kills the OP or gets the thread closed.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6490

destruktion_6143 wrote:

Like I said. A repeating record. On both ends, not just an accusation to you. All topics degrade to Liberal vs Conservative. And after that point, it is all the same. Lame accusations vs lowing and co., then a retort by lowing and co. Then comes a counter by the Liberals, followed by a remark by the cons.... which always either kills the OP or gets the thread closed.
throw in a little ant- (insert your favorite country to bash here) and viola! DAST!
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

What's irrational about your perspective is your incessantly persistent tact of assuming everything is black and white.  It's never shades of grey with you, which is why it's sometimes very aggravating to discuss things with you.

Also, it doesn't help that you have some paranoia connected to Obama that he's some kind of Jesse Jackson type.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

What's irrational about your perspective is your incessantly persistent tact of assuming everything is black and white.  It's never shades of grey with you, which is why it's sometimes very aggravating to discuss things with you.

Also, it doesn't help that you have some paranoia connected to Obama that he's some kind of Jesse Jackson type.
personal responsibility is black and white, you are either responsible for your actions, or you are not, which is it?

I will let Obamas handling of Henry Gates, speak for how I think Obama thinks. Nothing paranoid about it. Besides he is harming our country a lot more as president than as a racist.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard