JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6334|England

Okay, so they have 2 guys on samplers/synths and 2 guys on a pair of decks each. In each song I only hear one beat, and you could mix in the next track yourself, so why have 2 guys DJ'ing?
artofsurvival
Idiot!
+33|6365|the Great British Queendom :)
Basically what you'd be doing is writing the track live as you played it? Does that make sense? Each deck for instance would play a particular loop ie:

Deck 1 = Bass, Beats
Deck 2 = Strings, Vox etc
Deck 3 = A mixture of above, but most likely the next beat in the mix
Deck 4 = Same as above really
The keys would give you the bonus of being able to put your own riffs over the top of the decks. Its a form of sampling that can be done live. I have done 4 deck mixing in the past but its very hard for 1 person to do it, as you ideally need 4 arms to keep everything in shape! Having 2 people is just like having 2 DJs mixing in 1 set for instance. 1st person does decks 1 and 2 then 2nd person does decks 3 and 4 if you where doing a rolling mix, but you could quit easily have all 4 decks at once with the afore mentioned usage. I remember when the Cox did a 14 deck set, but all he simply did was mix from 1 deck to the next! If you need audio examples just look for Grandmaster Flash as he was 1 of the originators of this style of mixing
Hope that helps
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6334|England

artofsurvival wrote:

Basically what you'd be doing is writing the track live as you played it? Does that make sense? Each deck for instance would play a particular loop ie:

Deck 1 = Bass, Beats
Deck 2 = Strings, Vox etc
Deck 3 = A mixture of above, but most likely the next beat in the mix
Deck 4 = Same as above really
The keys would give you the bonus of being able to put your own riffs over the top of the decks. Its a form of sampling that can be done live. I have done 4 deck mixing in the past but its very hard for 1 person to do it, as you ideally need 4 arms to keep everything in shape! Having 2 people is just like having 2 DJs mixing in 1 set for instance. 1st person does decks 1 and 2 then 2nd person does decks 3 and 4 if you where doing a rolling mix, but you could quit easily have all 4 decks at once with the afore mentioned usage. I remember when the Cox did a 14 deck set, but all he simply did was mix from 1 deck to the next! If you need audio examples just look for Grandmaster Flash as he was 1 of the originators of this style of mixing
Hope that helps
Nice one mate, cheers. Sort of get it. The whole seperate instruments on different decks would make sense for their own tracks, but what about playing other peoples tracks out? Surely the artist won't send them the individual sounds?
artofsurvival
Idiot!
+33|6365|the Great British Queendom :)
Nope, but from the looks of it they have gain controls on the mixers, so in effect you can turn the gain down on Bass on 1 deck, leaving just the trebel and have the beat, bass from the other deck by turning gain down on the bass/low frequency. hence you get your own mix, sample of 2 records playing at once, rinse then repeat! As for mixing other people tracks its the same principle really, say for instance you liked the chorus of 1 song but it didn't last long enough for what you wanted you could mix the same track on 2 decks and extend the chorus further (same for beats etc:) basically its a nice showy way of sampling live Having 4 decks for instance I could play 2 of the same track on 2 decks (extending the parts I wanted) then mix into that on the 3rd deck, followed by mixing in from the 4th deck (or extending deck 3 with deck 4) during this though I could easily have another 2 mixes going on decks 1 and 2 and 3 depending on what the overall achievement would be. For ease you could simply mix a set by going deck 1 mixing in deck 2 mixing deck 3 mixing deck 4 then deck 1 again and so on, easy to do if you can mix, just means that you don't have to rush around taking records on/off platters (but kind of lazy as you have the ability to mix further on the unused decks) ie:

1 song on deck 1 and 1 song on deck 2 would leave decks 3-4 free to add samples or even mix into decks 1 and 2, hard to do though as you only have 2 hands! Hence 2 people mixing at once! On a side note though, having done this in the past its easier to have 5 channels - 4 decks and 1 for a click track then you line everything up with the click track and all beats should be in time. Blimey this brings back memories of Shelley's and a few other clubs I played Oh those where the days
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6334|England
Okay, I think I get it now. Also just realised that they weren't playing other peoples tracks anyway. It was all there own stuff ><

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard