unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

If Germany was fighting on the eastern front ONLY, they would have won hands down. The Soviet government would have fallen before they could begin to manufacture effective counters against German armor. Fortunately for them, Hitler was enough of a madman to fight everything at once, and a great deal of Nazi aggression was soaked up by the the Allies away from the eastern front.

So yeah, Germany would have won the war, but they'd inherit decades of grief from the eastern countries under their thumb.

CC-Marley wrote:

The Russians also mass produced effective tanks (T-34) deep in her territory. Far out of reach of Hitler's bombers.
The Soviets were helped in large part by the fact that Germany was fighting everybody. Change that, and they might not have even been able to keep up with production.
Longbow
+163|6645|Odessa, Ukraine

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

- stalin had 90% of the generals and 60% of all the officers executed between 1935 and 1939. and leading on the battlefield doesn't substitute for a general staff education
Those 10% of generals actually recomended themself as quite skillfull commanders of armies and army groups. I dont deny the fact that german officer school was probably the best one in the world during WWI-WWII, but dont underestimate red army staff officers.

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

- there are several reasons why hitler and then stalin were able to conquer half of europe but none of them was their (non-existent) military leadership and operational skills
I personally read a lot of books regarding the subject, and I believe Stalin of course hadn't knowledge and skills of a staff officer, but he certainly was able to take proper decisions on tactical and strategical level. He screwed up in 1941 though, thats a fact.

Same goes for Hitler, early blitzkriegs are the proof of that.

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

- yeah, the red army was near the line of demarcation, but they could have easily been withdrawn to the east (which was done in the summer of 42 during the german offensive in direction of stalingrad and the caucasus)
For millions of soviet soldiers and officers german attack on 22 of june, 1941, was completely unexpected. German summer offensive in 1942 was absolutely obvious and red army was well prepared for it.

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

- it's a myth that stalin planned to attack germany (at least not within the next 5 years or so). that preemptive-war theory (hitler anticipating stalin) is simply not true
I would say it's a quite strong theory and I believe in it. I might be wrong, but there are gazzillion facts that are prooving that Stalin was about to attack Hitler in late summer of 1941.

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

- the mistakes of the soviet generals far outweighed these of their german counterparts
At early stages of war, yes. At later stages of war they were even.

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

- at the battle of berlin, the germans had about 1 million soldiers 800 tanks and 100 aircraft, the soviets had 2,5 million soldiers, 6250 tanks, 7500 aircraft and far more than 10000 artillery guns. plus the german soldiers were mostly elderly or very young or weary
Urban combat negates the number of anything but infantry. Tanks are easy target when there are panzershrek and faustpatron teams in each 3-4 stores building. Artillery & aircraft hadn't that level of precision for attack inside of a large town. Battle of Berlin was won by a rifle and bayonet. The biggest loss of personel was suffered exactly after soviets reached Berlin suburbs.

CC-Marley wrote:

The Russians also mass produced effective tanks (T-34) deep in her territory. Far out of reach of Hitler's bombers.
Nazi Germany never had real long-range strategic bombers so thats quite obvious that soviet industry at Ural and in Siberia was out of reach.
As for T-34, yes, it was perfect medium tank which served well in russian conditions (e.g. cold and snowy winter, rainy and dirty spring, hot summer) but T-34 sertainly wasn't the only factor that effected situation at front. Russian artillery & rocket artillery were far superior to their german counterparts. Russian aircraft in mid-late stage of war was even if not better than german ones. Famous IL-2 Shturmovik (tank buster and CAS aircraft) was one of the best during WWII. T-34 was the most produced, but not the only type of tanks, there were lots of other successful war-proven tank designs.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

The Soviets were helped in large part by the fact that Germany was fighting everybody. Change that, and they might not have even been able to keep up with production.
Majority of german army was fighting at eastern front, you know..

Last edited by Longbow (2010-03-14 18:55:33)

RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6713|US
Stalin was not prepared to fight in 1941, mentally or strategically.

The Afrika Korps, the majority of the Luftwaffe, and over 1 Million troops were taken away from the Eastern Front even before Normandy.  Allied bombers and North African operations certainly drained resources from Germany's war efforts.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Longbow wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Majority of german army was fighting at eastern front, you know..
Uh-huh. If you think the Soviets could have solo'd Nazi Germany, then there's no point arguing.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5472|Ventura, California
Longbow what urban combat? There wasn't a dang thing left in Berlin from all the bombing and artillery dropped on it. It was like Stalingrad, nothing but ruins.

In my opinion, it's a lot easier to fight in a town with buildings still intact for a number of reasons. The Germans and Russians both screwed up on that level.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Longbow what urban combat? There wasn't a dang thing left in Berlin from all the bombing and artillery dropped on it. It was like Stalingrad, nothing but ruins.
lol

https://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7315/wurzburgafterbombing211.jpg

Hamburg after the 1943 bombing:

https://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3629/796pxhamburgafterthe194.jpg

And most of Berlin looked like:

https://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2017/berlinug.jpg

There was plenty left standing, as it was fire that did most of the damage to structures.

-Sh1fty- wrote:

In my opinion, it's a lot easier to fight in a town with buildings still intact for a number of reasons. The Germans and Russians both screwed up on that level.
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/rac_goshawk/facepalm.gif
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

Longbow wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

His idiocy is what let the British escape at Dunkirk instead of finishing them off and possibly finishing the war.
Theres a theory that Hitler was still dreaming he could establish cease fire or even military treaty with brits at that time. Obviously, there was no chance of that, but it's Hitler after all..
Or there is the more sensible, widely held opinion that not attacking the British full out at Dunkirk was exactly the right thing to do strategically.

Attacking 400000 troops with their backs to the sea, who have substantial air and naval support, when you only really have tanks available - the bulk of the German infantry had not caught up with the advance Panzer units, is not all that wise.

A defeat for the Germans at Dunkirk would've been catastrophic for them. Exercising a bit of caution and waiting for infanty support makes perfect sense.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK

Longbow wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

- stalin had 90% of the generals and 60% of all the officers executed between 1935 and 1939. and leading on the battlefield doesn't substitute for a general staff education
Those 10% of generals actually recomended themself as quite skillfull commanders of armies and army groups. I dont deny the fact that german officer school was probably the best one in the world during WWI-WWII, but dont underestimate red army staff officers.
No they really weren't, they used brute force in the majority of engagements, even towards the end of the war. Read up on Seelow Heights.

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

- there are several reasons why hitler and then stalin were able to conquer half of europe but none of them was their (non-existent) military leadership and operational skills
I personally read a lot of books regarding the subject, and I believe Stalin of course hadn't knowledge and skills of a staff officer, but he certainly was able to take proper decisions on tactical and strategical level. He screwed up in 1941 though, thats a fact.

Both of them had zero strategic knowledge, if both of them had listened to their generals things would have been a lot different.

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

- yeah, the red army was near the line of demarcation, but they could have easily been withdrawn to the east (which was done in the summer of 42 during the german offensive in direction of stalingrad and the caucasus)
For millions of soviet soldiers and officers german attack on 22 of june, 1941, was completely unexpected. German summer offensive in 1942 was absolutely obvious and red army was well prepared for it.
Stalin was aware of the German offensive hours before it happened, he just refused to believe that Hitler would break their treaty, even hours after the Germans attacked he refused to believe it. Stalin was definitely not planning to attack Germany.

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

- it's a myth that stalin planned to attack germany (at least not within the next 5 years or so). that preemptive-war theory (hitler anticipating stalin) is simply not true
I would say it's a quite strong theory and I believe in it. I might be wrong, but there are gazzillion facts that are prooving that Stalin was about to attack Hitler in late summer of 1941.
Just no.

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

- the mistakes of the soviet generals far outweighed these of their german counterparts
No they really weren't, even though Hitler had tantrums and got half his Generals killed/reassigned the Germans still had much more experienced Generals.

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

- at the battle of berlin, the germans had about 1 million soldiers 800 tanks and 100 aircraft, the soviets had 2,5 million soldiers, 6250 tanks, 7500 aircraft and far more than 10000 artillery guns. plus the german soldiers were mostly elderly or very young or weary
Urban combat negates the number of anything but infantry. Tanks are easy target when there are panzershrek and faustpatron teams in each 3-4 stores building. Artillery & aircraft hadn't that level of precision for attack inside of a large town. Battle of Berlin was won by a rifle and bayonet. The biggest loss of personel was suffered exactly after soviets reached Berlin suburbs.
I don't know where either of you are getting your numbers from but in Berlin itself there were hardly any soldiers, most of them were Volkssturm who surrendered pretty quickly. You guys are quoting numbers without knowing where they actually were, the numbers you are referring to are the numbers used in the final assault on Berlin which actually took place all around Berlin. Seelow Heights, etc.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6471|Kakanien

Vilham wrote:

Longbow wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

No they really weren't, they used brute force in the majority of engagements, even towards the end of the war. Read up on Seelow Heights.

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Both of them had zero strategic knowledge, if both of them had listened to their generals things would have been a lot different.

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Stalin was aware of the German offensive hours before it happened, he just refused to believe that Hitler would break their treaty, even hours after the Germans attacked he refused to believe it. Stalin was definitely not planning to attack Germany.

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Just no.

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

No they really weren't, even though Hitler had tantrums and got half his Generals killed/reassigned the Germans still had much more experienced Generals.

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

I don't know where either of you are getting your numbers from but in Berlin itself there were hardly any soldiers, most of them were Volkssturm who surrendered pretty quickly. You guys are quoting numbers without knowing where they actually were, the numbers you are referring to are the numbers used in the final assault on Berlin which actually took place all around Berlin. Seelow Heights, etc.
couldn't have said it better

+ 1 for you

ps: yes, i know exactly that these figures apply for the whole battle of berlin, including the battle of the seelow heights, halbe-pocket etc, not only for the taking of the city, which was indeed mainly defended, as i said, by very young or very old, weary volkssturm-soldiers
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6471|Kakanien

-Sh1fty- wrote:

In my opinion, it's a lot easier to fight in a town with buildings still intact for a number of reasons
wrong. see battle of montecassino

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Monte_Cassino

"What is now known is that the Germans had an agreement with the monks to not use the Abbey for military purposes as long as they remained. Following its destruction, paratroopers of the German 1st Parachute Division then occupied the ruins of the abbey and turned it into a fortress and observation post, which became a serious problem for the attacking allied forces"

actually, destroyed buildings provide much better fortifications/defensive lines
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5997|Vortex Ring State

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

actually, destroyed buildings provide much better fortifications/defensive lines
Orly?
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6471|Kakanien

Trotskygrad wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Orly?
yes

edit:

"On 15 February, the monastery, high on a peak overlooking the town of Cassino, was destroyed by 1,400 tons of bombs dropped by American bombers. The bombing was based on the fear that the abbey was being used as a lookout post for the German defenders (this position evolved over time to admit that German soldiers were not garrisoned there but that the risk of the monastery becoming occupied justified the action). Two days after the bombing, German paratroopers took up positions in the ruins; the destruction caused by the bombing and the resulting jagged wasteland of rubble gave troops improved protection from air and artillery attack making it a more viable defensive position. From 17 January to 18 May, the Gustav defences were assaulted four times by Allied troops. For the last of these the Allies gathered 20 divisions for a major assault along a twenty mile front and drove the German defenders from their positions but at a high cost."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_ … he_bombing

Last edited by cl4u53w1t2 (2010-03-15 11:59:22)

Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5997|Vortex Ring State

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Orly?
yes
I seriously doubt that. Destroyed means less cover
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Trotskygrad wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

Orly?
yes
I would believe causewitz on this... Doesn't he have a major in military history and now going for a Phd or some shit.

Destroyed buildings offer good camo as well.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6471|Kakanien
see above
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Trotskygrad wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

Orly?
yes
A huge pile of concrete and steel that looks just like every other, plus streets pockmarked by craters provide less cover than squatting behind a wood counter in a diner?
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

In my opinion, it's a lot easier to fight in a town with buildings still intact for a number of reasons

"What is now known is that the Germans had an agreement with the monks to not use the Abbey for military purposes as long as they remained. Following its destruction, paratroopers of the German 1st Parachute Division then occupied the ruins of the abbey and turned it into a fortress and observation post, which became a serious problem for the attacking allied forces"

That's what I'm saying.

By blowing up the buildings and leaving not much but ruble, they can defend really easily, and it's a bitch to spot things in it.

Now imagine regular European streets and buildings. You hear a shot, where do you look? Windows, streets and roofs. If you've got nothing but ruins, it becomes total shit.

Instead of posting facepalms and shit, why don't you prove me wrong you ignorant armchair whores?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

-Sh1fty- wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

That's what I'm saying.

By blowing up the buildings and leaving not much but ruble, they can defend really easily, and it's a bitch to spot things in it.

Now imagine regular European streets and buildings. You hear a shot, where do you look? Windows, streets and roofs. If you've got nothing but ruins, it becomes total shit.

Instead of posting facepalms and shit, why don't you prove me wrong you ignorant armchair whores?
Here is a real AMERICAN Marine talking. OORAH
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Again, an insult instead of simply proving me wrong or agreeing.

I'll take that for a victory.

Edit: I'll remind you this is DS&T.

Last edited by -Sh1fty- (2010-03-15 12:16:06)

LostFate
Same shit, Different Arsehole
+95|6483|England

Cybargs wrote:

Here is a real AMERICAN Marine talking. OORAH
it must be true then.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5959|Places 'n such

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

Wreckognize wrote:

I agree the Nazis definitely had the coolest bad guy uniforms.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpZ8EkK3eWY
the skull on their collar patch means they are from the 3. ss-totenkopfdivision (death's head division)
On a slight aside again, the uniforms were made by Hugo Boss.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
androoz
Banned
+137|5211|United States

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Again, an insult instead of simply proving me wrong or agreeing.

I'll take that for a victory.

Edit: I'll remind you this is DS&T.
honestly read your fucking posts in this thread.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6471|Kakanien

presidentsheep wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

the skull on their collar patch means they are from the 3. ss-totenkopfdivision (death's head division)
On a slight aside again, the uniforms were made by Hugo Boss.
true dat
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
None of you are even saying WHY is gay. You're just making dumb posts.

Honestly I don't give a fuck what you guys think but I just laugh inside at the fact you can discuss properly. (The ones insulting me)

Now, tell me why it's better to waste a city to ruins. Make a valid point.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
Rubble is better cover and concealment than buildings are. It's a fact.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard