Benzin
+576|5991
Do you guys think ATI will slash their prices at all once Nvidia comes into the game? If Nvidia really does charge a premium on their cards over ATI's, will ATI really have a reason to cut prices at all, even if Nvidia's performance is better? Discussion topic. Go!
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6560|NYC / Hamburg

no
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
androoz
Banned
+137|5205|United States
im wondering what nvidias prices will be. guaranteed theyre gonna be quite a bit more expensive and not much better if at all.

ATI will probably keep their prices the same. unless nvidia releases some awesome cards priced the same which is unlikely.

Last edited by androoz (2010-03-10 10:09:48)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Depends on the price points of the new Nvidia cards.  I don't know if 'slash' is the right adjective but I'd imagine they will make them cheaper to a certain degree.
CrazeD
+368|6665|Maine
No need, nvidia fails at competitive pricing.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6123|Carnoustie MASSIF

androoz wrote:

im wondering what nvidias prices will be. guaranteed theyre gonna be quite a bit more expensive and not much better if at all.

ATI will probably keep their prices the same. unless nvidia releases some awesome cards priced the same which is unlikely.
I actually agree with you for once
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6542|UK

They do not need to.  If they do, it willl purely be to take some of Nvidias launch week light.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6190|Winland

I doubt it unless Nvidia have some competitive products in the segment - which they don't seem to have.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
CammRobb
Banned
If nVidia release cards which are slightly better, but slightly dearer, I can see ATI dropping prices. If nVidia release cards that are slightly better, but a lot more expensive, then ATI probably won't budge.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

CammRobb wrote:

If nVidia release cards which are slightly better, but slightly dearer, I can see ATI dropping prices. If nVidia release cards that are slightly better, but a lot more expensive, then ATI probably won't budge.
They can kill Nvidia shares by making them have a shit launch. On nvidia launch day, slash prices 10% for the week
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
CammRobb
Banned

Cybargs wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

They can kill Nvidia shares by making them have a shit launch. On nvidia launch day, slash prices 10% for the week
Yeah, basically ATI have the upper hand atm. They can control the market now, and also when nvidia release their cards. Will be interesting to see what happens.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6651|BC, Canada

CrazeD wrote:

No need, nvidia fails at competitive pricing.
gvers
Bad at BF:BC2
+109|6665|The Real World

max wrote:

no
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

CammRobb wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

Yeah, basically ATI have the upper hand atm. They can control the market now, and also when nvidia release their cards. Will be interesting to see what happens.
AMD is in debt (Correction, they just came out of debt loss). Still, Nvidia has way more money than AMD, so they really can't "control" the market. If anyone it's nvidia who can afford slashing prices.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6432|Brisbane, Australia

The one benchmark I have seen, the nvidia card was on par with the equivalent ATI card except for tessellation where it was far stronger.

Pity tessellation is in probably 2 games at this point (if that). I dont see a reason for ATI to slash prices at all. The most I would expect is a small decrease if nvidia prices aggressively which I dont see them doing.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6407|Finland

there is about 20% air in HD5 series highend card prices. Not sure if its the retailers getting the profit or AMD itself. Very likely retailers taking benefit from bad availability...
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Rod Foxx
Warblgarbl
+78|5976|Perth, Australia
I'm hoping for a decrease of some amount. Not expecting much though. They are $518 AU atm and i said i would buy one when they hit the sub $500 AU mark. If Nvidia launch doesn't bring it down that much it then i'll probably just buy anyway

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard