blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6651
More than $70 billion in wealth left New Jersey between 2004 and 2008 as affluent residents moved elsewhere, according to a report released Wednesday that marks a swift reversal of fortune for a state once considered the nation’s wealthiest.

Conducted by the Center on Wealth and Philanthropy at Boston College, the report found wealthy households in New Jersey were leaving for other states — mainly Florida, Pennsylvania and New York — at a faster rate than they were being replaced.(eh Macbeth is still there lol)

“This study makes it crystal clear that New Jersey’s tax policies are resulting in a significant decline in the state’s wealth,” said Dennis Bone, chairman of the New Jersey Chamber of Commerce and president of Verizon New Jersey.But economists say there are many other implications for the state’s financial health.In New Jersey, the top 1 percent of taxpayers pay more than 40 percent of the state’s income tax, he said.

Findings from the Boston College report show that about 302,780 households left New Jersey between 2004 and 2008, only slightly lower than the 323,350 households that moved into the state. However, the average net worth of the departing households was about 70 percent higher, at $618,330.

Those who left were also more likely to be older and more educated, with jobs as entrepreneurs or in the finance and professional industries, the study found.

Several years ago,one of the clients stood to make $60 million from stock options in a company that was being acquired by another. Before cashing out, however, the client put his home up for sale, moved to Las Vegas, and “never stepped foot back in New Jersey again,” Hydock said.

“He avoided paying about $6 million in taxes,” he said. “He passed away two years later and also saved a huge estate tax, so he probably saved $7 million.”

source

How is the state supposed to handle large portions of its revenue....considering that the rich make up 1% of the NJ population, but they pay 40% of the taxes..
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5364|London, England
Same thing in New York. Everyone is fleeing the new 'Millionaires Tax' the teachers, nurses and transit unions lobbied for last year. They did a study that said something like 600,000 had left from New York City alone over the past five years. Average salary of those that left was something like $75k. They've been replaced by people making $30k. This state is bankrupt.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SealXo
+309|6541
haahahah serves them right
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6673

SealXo wrote:

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6159|what

And I thought it was all doom and gloom in California.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5243|Cleveland, Ohio

AussieReaper wrote:

well you see....cali cries about it the most.  they cry about no money yet people drive around in bmw's and such.  NJ is well...a dump.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6673

AussieReaper wrote:

The ones who left California to go to Nevada/Arizona, are coming back to California.
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6480|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
Well do what has to be done. BUDGET FUCKING CUTS! Im sorry but it has to be done.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5591

Ilocano wrote:

SealXo wrote:

Pff your state is wore off than mine.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6673

Macbeth wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

SealXo wrote:

Pff your state is wore off than mine.
nah.  Us well to do like our low wage "workers".  The wealthy aren't leaving California.  We are buying additional property in distressed areas like Nevada, Arizona and Florida.  I'm looking at this one property, and it's already got interested buyers prior to it going to foreclosure.  The ones complaining are still pretty much the "gimme" groups who want all the social services, and expect others to pay for it.  Like those who are fighting the inevitable government job cuts.

Last edited by Ilocano (2010-02-17 15:35:14)

13rin
+977|6485
Look like it's time to raise taxes.  Oh wait...
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6411|North Carolina

Ilocano wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

The ones who left California to go to Nevada/Arizona, are coming back to California.
The ones who went to Texas stayed there.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6673

Turquoise wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

The ones who went to Texas stayed there.
This is true.  I've been tempted myself.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5704

Ilocano wrote:

SealXo wrote:

eleven bravo
+1,399|5265|foggy bottom
he saved money on an estate tax after he died?
Tu Stultus Es
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6411|North Carolina

eleven bravo wrote:

he saved money on an estate tax after he died?
In addition to obtaining tax savings, moving to Vegas can allow you to rise from the dead.... 

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard