Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

It is, you can blame the sugar barons and corrupt politicos for the ills of the world.
What happened to not drinking 4 litres of coke a day and not going to fast food restaurants?
Thats part of it for sure, but why does the govt allow companies to sell this garbage so cheap?
Because of low manufacturing cost and mass production. Come on dilbert you know how business' profit...

And as spark says: people want it cheap. If you have been drinking 4 litres of coke a day and eating 4 hamburgers a day and get diabetes by the age of 30, it's kinda your own fault really isn't it?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

Cybargs wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

What happened to not drinking 4 litres of coke a day and not going to fast food restaurants?
Thats part of it for sure, but why does the govt allow companies to sell this garbage so cheap?
Because of low manufacturing cost and mass production. Come on dilbert you know how business' profit...

And as spark says: people want it cheap. If you have been drinking 4 litres of coke a day and eating 4 hamburgers a day and get diabetes by the age of 30, it's kinda your own fault really isn't it?
guarantee that any govt that tries to place a massive fast food tax will see its numbers drop off a cliff very fast
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

.:ronin:.|Patton wrote:

use your money to get a gym membership instead of next months world of warcraft subscription.
My gym membership for the only available gym within 300km costs me roughly twice what WoW costs.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Spark wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

guarantee that any govt that tries to place a massive fast food tax will see its numbers drop off a cliff very fast
Welcome to California and New York City. They should massively tax fast foods, it's easy revenue.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
People want cheap cigarettes, do they get them?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Dilbert_X wrote:

People want cheap cigarettes, do they get them?
About 2 USD a pack in Taiwan lel.

Taxing the shit out of fast foods would be good tbh.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Macbeth wrote:

When the government begin to regulate how much sugar is in food or levy taxes on foods that are fattening, that I enjoy, it does affect my happiness.
So instead of blaming the government for trying to control your life, you're blaming fat people?
ruisleipa
+149|6192|teh FIN-land

Cybargs wrote:

Taxing the shit out of fast foods would be good tbh.
agree.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5671|College Park, MD

Flecco wrote:

use your money to get a gym membership instead of next months world of warcraft subscription.
My gym membership for the only available gym within 300km costs me roughly twice what WoW costs.
You don't need a gym to get fit... maybe to look like John Cena yes, but not to get fit

There needs to be a paradigm shift. It's a lot cheaper to buy shitty, unhealthy food than it is to buy fresh, safe produce. If we don't want a national healthcare system to be weighed down by people with heart and cholesterol problems caused by food consumption, we need to find a way to get healthy foods into people's hands without making them take out a mortgage for it.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Flecco wrote:

You don't need a gym to get fit... maybe to look like John Cena yes, but not to get fit
Nah I like using the dumbell set there and I don't have the cash to get my own.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
androoz
Banned
+137|5183|United States
well with the whole being fit thing, people arent expected to be some avid weight lifter or health nut.

just not eating like shit 24/7, daily exercise such as a sport, active hobby, etc, maybe some push ups and situps and all that. just basic stuff to stay healthy.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6335|California
just eat rice everyday and fuck them muda bitchez
jmsprovan
+18|5782|Alba
I'm a fat bastard, but I don't force my lifestyle on anyone else and I would expect the same in return.

And contrary to most beliefs I don't overeat, I just do no exercise at all apart from walking to and from places I need to be.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire
I know people who struggle with their weight even though they try to eat right and do as much exercise as their day to day lifer allows and I personally believe that some people are unlucky and just have very slow metabolisms. But in general I have little sympathy for self-inflicted obesity. If you take up two seats on a plane then you should pay for two seats, if your morbidly obese then my health insurance shouldn't go up as a result. Eat right and do some exercise for God's sake.

On a related note, I can't understand men who get plastic surgery such as peck implants either. Just do some fucking push-ups man.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
So much 'government should control peoples lives' garbage in this thread. If they're fat, they're fat. The government should not get involved at all. Same with cigarettes or any other bad habit. GFY with trying to take away peoples free will.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

It is, you can blame the sugar barons and corrupt politicos for the ills of the world.
Well, when it comes to hamburgers, beef is very cheap in America partially because of subsidies to the beef industry.  We subsidize our beef and dairy products, although ironically, our dairy products are more expensive than they otherwise would be.

Things would likely even out better if we ended all current farm subsidies and subsidized aquaculture.  If Americans ate more fish and less pork and beef, then we'd be healthier.
Ticia
+73|5305

Turquoise wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Well, when it comes to hamburgers, beef is very cheap in America partially because of subsidies to the beef industry.  We subsidize our beef and dairy products, although ironically, our dairy products are more expensive than they otherwise would be.

Things would likely even out better if we ended all current farm subsidies and subsidized aquaculture.  If Americans ate more fish and less pork and beef, then we'd be healthier.
It also doesn't help that the US don't really have a good national cuisine and the most recognized like soul food and southern are good for an heart attack. Despite popular belief healthy food that tastes good does exist.
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

So much 'government should control peoples lives' garbage in this thread. If they're fat, they're fat. The government should not get involved at all. Same with cigarettes or any other bad habit. GFY with trying to take away peoples free will.
ideologically very noble, practically very crap. i shudder to think what would happen to productivity levels if we did nothing to stop fat people being fat and smokers getting cancers.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spark wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

ideologically very noble, practically very crap. i shudder to think what would happen to productivity levels if we did nothing to stop fat people being fat and smokers getting cancers.
Aren't you one of the Aussies that whines about games and movies being banned by your censors? Fuck productivity levels. It's their life to fuck up, not your life to save.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

Spark wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Aren't you one of the Aussies that whines about games and movies being banned by your censors? Fuck productivity levels. It's their life to fuck up, not your life to save.
yes because censorship has a huge effect on the overall running/productivity of one's country?

seriously i wouldn't want to live in a country that follows your ideals. a libertarian paradise, you can keep that to yourself while we live in countries which actually WORK.

i don't care about their life so much that it impacts on mine and my country as their incompetence and inability drags down everyone else. if we can stop fat people becoming fat, well i will hold my ideological/moral cries at bay while i see the benefits of having a society that actually works.
~ Richard Feynman
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6349|MN

Turquoise wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

You make sense good sir.  Sometimes.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spark wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Spark wrote:

yes because censorship has a huge effect on the overall running/productivity of one's country?

seriously i wouldn't want to live in a country that follows your ideals. a libertarian paradise, you can keep that to yourself while we live in countries which actually WORK.

i don't care about their life so much that it impacts on mine and my country as their incompetence and inability drags down everyone else. if we can stop fat people becoming fat, well i will hold my ideological/moral cries at bay while i see the benefits of having a society that actually works.
Umm, how does a person being fat have any impact on your life at all? How does them being a smoker have any impact on your life? They have no impact on your life. None. Zero. Nada. And my point about censorship is that you are essentially advocating it, just in a different way. Both you and the religious assholes are trying to control other peoples actions because you think you know what's in their best interest. You have no idea what is in anyones best interest except your own.
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5671|College Park, MD
There are arguments for it, John, but what baffles me is how fat people affect productivity of a country. The majority of fat people probably work white-collar jobs where the most physical exertion required is walking up the stairs when the elevator is out of order.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6349|MN

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

There are arguments for it, John, but what baffles me is how fat people affect productivity of a country. The majority of fat people probably work white-collar jobs where the most physical exertion required is walking up the stairs when the elevator is out of order.
That's the point isn't it?  If someone can not do a job physically, they don't keep that job.  I have people working here that lift 55 lb bags for 12 hours.  I don't have a lot of females or overweight employees doing that job, in fact there are none.  If I was forced to hire someone who was overweight to do the job, the cost would rise for my production due to the slowdown of work.  Ain't happening!
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
1. how the fuck is it in anyone's best interest to die of heart disease/lung cancer...
2. do you realise how much of the hospital system is chewed up by guys with smoking-related or lifestyle-related diseases like heart disease? a fuckload, and especially when hospital funding/capacity is a serious issue then the principle of prevention > cure should ALWAYS apply. If there is a way to stop people becoming fat then have at it. that's how it affects me, it affects the quality of my hospital system, and it affects the quality/productivity of the businesses in my country making them less competitive because you can't fucking work if you're in hospital recovering from whatever - in any case, fit people will be able to concentrate for longer periods than someone with no physical stamina whatsoever.
3. did i ever say we should FORCE people to not become fat, to not smoke and eat fast food? did you not read my post at the top of this page when i pretty explicitly stated that taxing fast food was a stupid idea? i only took objection with your pure-ideological standpoint that government shouldn't do anything to discourage bad lifestyle choices. that does not mean, as you seem to think it means, taxing the shit out of everything and government coercion.

but of course, this all depends on the assumption that becoming morbidly obese and smoking a pack a day for two decades is not healthy...

Last edited by Spark (2010-02-15 18:04:10)

~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard