teek22
Add "teek22" on your PS3 fools!
+133|6381|Bromley, London

Well basically I am getting fucked off lately at having my NAT type on MW2 for the PS3 as strict! This basically means that its hard to get a game going with a few friends. So I thought I would change this by forwarding ports and stuff.

I have done some reading around and I have done the following, Set up PS3 with static IP, Forwarded Ports to PS3 and I have made my PS3 in the DMZ zone thing. So after doing all these things I would expect that my Nat type be 2, which would mean that I could take part in more games, and host them. However none of this has worked and its started to get on my nerves.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with MW2 on the ps3?

Just thought I would add that I currently have a set up of a router behind a router, the router that connects to the internet is a smartax mt882 which obtains the internet conenction from talk talk. And then I have a netgear wpn824 router connected to it which provides the wireless for my house.

Anyone else had any problems with this? and has managed to solve it.

Help would be much appreciated.
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6349|Belfast
My NAT type has always been Open

Did you try this?

Last edited by henno13 (2010-01-03 08:48:33)

teek22

Just read through the link and UPnP was already enabled. And i tried the tips on the net gear site to disabled firewall etc. And none of it worked. I think it might be the router that talk talk have provided me, which is the smartax mt882. It is a shitte router.

Any other ideas?

edit: also on the netgear site, it said I should change the MTU size from 1500 to 1300. I thought it is best to keep that the same? Well i tried it on 1300 anyway to see what would happen and I still got NAT type as strict.

Last edited by teek22 (2010-01-03 09:34:58)

TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5905|CA
Mine works, and my PS3 displays "NAT Type 2," however MW2 is a bitch and still labels my connection as "moderate."  I have no idea how to change it, but I don't usually have to many problems, so I guess it's fine.

@OP:  Perhaps you could try connecting directly to your router that goes directly to the Internet?
teek22

TopHat01 wrote:

Mine works, and my PS3 displays "NAT Type 2," however MW2 is a bitch and still labels my connection as "moderate."  I have no idea how to change it, but I don't usually have to many problems, so I guess it's fine.

@OP:  Perhaps you could try connecting directly to your router that goes directly to the Internet?
hmm.....Will try that 2day

edit: just means I have to use my 10m ethernet cable. lol

Last edited by teek22 (2010-01-04 02:50:24)

TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5905|CA

teek22 wrote:

TopHat01 wrote:

hmm.....Will try that 2day

edit: just means I have to use my 10m ethernet cable. lol
Old topic, but I recently figured out how to change mine to "Open."  Setup your PS3 w/ a static IP, and then enable DMZ for your PS3's IP.  This way, your router should give your PS3 access to any and every port it needs.

This post was quite helpful for me, too.

Last edited by TopHat01 (2010-01-31 12:12:06)

Evil_Black_Fox
+18|5481
Im not exactly sure what the console considers NAT open and strict. I have MW2 on both PS3 and XBox 360. Both of my consoles are set up in the same configuration running into a Netgear Firewall, but only my XBox says my NAT type is strict. I tried putting my XBox in the DMZ using a static IP and nothing changed. I don't have any problems getting games going but every so often my connection times out to the IW server.

A little background on myself, currently I work in the Information Technology field. From what I understand your Network address translation (NAT) is just the process of your router translating your local area network (LAN) IP addresses into you single wide area network (WAN) IP address issued by your internet service provider (ISP). In theory manually setting your consoles IP address to a static one, then placing that IP in the de-militarized zone (DMZ) pretty much connects it straight to the internet. The risk of doing that is that hackers cannot attack your local IP addresses but can attack your public one, so anything in the DMZ is pretty much exposed directly to the internet... not to worry not many people are not to concerned about their console being hacked into by someone on the internet. As for port forwarding, this happens automatically unless the ports are closed by default.

You mentioned you have a wireless access point connected to your router. If they both have dynamic host control protocol (DHCP) enabled this can cause conflicts with authority when any device with DHCP issued IP address, gateway/DNS, and subnet mask expires. Personally I would disable them both and set all of my local IP addresses manually. The next thing is that PS3 likes UPnP. This function just allows the PS3 to identify the router and communicate with other UPnP devices connected. This really doesn't have much to do with playing online but is a neat feature if you want to play music from a Windows based computer with media sharing enabled.

To configure your routers is you haven't done so already you can open a command prompt window by clicking on start the run. In the box type "cmd". A DOS Window should open. In that window type "ipconfig /all" Look for an IP address listed as your gateway. If you type this into a web browser such as FireFox your routers configuration should open. From here everything should be pretty easy to setup. Most routers have a default login and password of "admin" Just remember to set your all of your IP addresses in the same subnet as your router.

This is mine for example:
Router WAN side IP adress (whatever my ISP gave me, Im to lazy to keep guessing for an open one to set it statically)
Router LAN side IP address 192.168.1.1 <= This will be my gateway and domain name server (Primary DNS) for everything connected
PC1:
PC2:
Laptop:
PS3:
Xbox 360 Elite/Pro <= (I do not run them both at same time or there would be a conflict) <=On DMZ
PS2:
TV:

All of them have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. This is to identify them as being on the same class C sub networked class A IP address issued by my ISP. I almost forgot, never assign anything an IP address ending in 0 or 255 . Those are your broadcast and network IDs

One last thing I have to ask is how is your wireless access connected to your router. Is it via LAN or WAN? If WAN you will get some problems because it might be trying to further sub network a class C network. It can be done but it adds latency (lag) and is unnecessary for home use. There is no need for a separate access point to be routing when you already have a gateway, which is the router connected closest to your modem. Try connecting your wireless LAN port to the LAN side of your router so that it functions as a wireless switch instead of a rouge access point.

If none of this helps then try the DSL reports forums. They cover everything regarding networking. There are alot of experts who can actually run diagnostics on your setup if you allow them to.

Last edited by Evil_Black_Fox (2010-02-14 00:18:50)

Evil_Black_Fox
+18|5481
This may sound strange, but I have 2 Xboxes now, and um... My Elite says may NAT type is strict while my Pro says its open. Both of them are on the DMZ so its kind of weird. Also my PS3, not on the DMZ also says its open. I think my Elite has some issues Im not able to find.

Last edited by Evil_Black_Fox (2010-02-13 23:59:35)

TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5905|CA
Perhaps you have to open the specific ports for the Elite?  My router can only have one DMZ at a time, but I don't know if that's the case with newer ones...
Evil_Black_Fox
+18|5481
I assigned them both the same IP address but only run one at a time to avoid conflict. My Elite is the only one that says its strict while my Pro and PS3 both say its open. I will investigate this some more.

Last edited by Evil_Black_Fox (2010-02-14 00:11:05)

Evil_Black_Fox
+18|5481
Okay after some testing I found that the XBox and PS3 do not automatically update the NAT type. If you test your connection to XBox live while connecting threw a firewall and or router with some security enabled your NAT type will be strict until you retest it connecting straight to the modem. Same goes for PS3. If you connect your PS3 directly to the modem and test your connection it will become open, if you retest it threw a firewall or router if may change to strict. In some cases blocking certain ports may also cause it to become type 2. It also seems as though putting them on the DMZ has no affect on what NAT type they think you have. Putting that aside the DMZ does connect them directly to the net so if you are having issues then that may fix them. You can ignore what NAT type the console says you have if you have not run any connection tests recently. I personally prefer that the XBox and PS3 know my NAT type is strict. This keeps them from trying to access ports they cannot reach. While playing MW2 on my Pro, which has the NAT type set as open, my game would freeze. The only disadvantage to having a strict NAT type is that you may never be host. We all know how sweet it is to be host, but at least your game will be running smooth when you have a good connection to a good host. I'm guessing that this was implemented in the days of the old XBox when players would cheat by fire walling connections to everyone except their friends and the Bungie server to force their friends to be host on Halo 2.

Last edited by Evil_Black_Fox (2010-02-15 08:04:40)

TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5905|CA
^Interesting.  When I set the DMZ for the PS3, my NAT type was "Open," where it was originally "moderate."  I connect wirelessly to a router, too.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard