Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

The Obama administration is considering several steps that would review the legality of the controversial Bowl Championship Series, the Justice Department said in a letter Friday to a senator who had asked for an antitrust review.

In the letter to Sen. Orrin Hatch, obtained by The Associated Press, Assistant Attorney General Ronald Weich wrote that the Justice Department is reviewing Hatch's request and other materials to determine whether to open an investigation into whether the BCS violates antitrust laws.

"Importantly, and in addition, the administration also is exploring other options that might be available to address concerns with the college football postseason," Weich wrote, including asking the Federal Trade Commission to review the legality of the BCS under consumer protection laws.

Several lawmakers and many critics want the BCS to switch to a playoff system, rather than the ratings system it uses to determine the teams that play in the championship game.

"The administration shares your belief that the current lack of a college football national championship playoff with respect to the highest division of college football ... raises important questions affecting millions of fans, colleges and universities, players and other interested parties," Weich wrote.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/f … d=si_ncaaf
So yeah trust busting is cool and all but is the NCAA really worthy of a investigation? Aren't there more important things to focus on?
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD
These are probably the same fools that wasted Congress' time by investigating baseball players for steroid use.

Yes there are more important things to focus on. The fact that they're even giving this the time of day speaks volumes of how this is just more of the same old bullshit we've had for the last... boatload of years.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6396|North Carolina
Eh...  I don't know...  this is more of an issue that I care about.  If government can improve my entertainment, then I'm happy.  They might actually handle this better than they do other, more serious matters.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-01-30 17:13:23)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Doesn't the sports governing body have the best interests of that sport at heart?

You might not always agree with their decisions, but they wouldn't be trying to drop the share price if you know what I mean.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6438|Chicago, IL
Chinese threatening sanctions because of Taiwan arms deal?
Iranians enriching uranium?
North Koreans kidnapping journalists?
Haitians dying by the thousands?
Economic failure looming for many states?
Education system in shambles?

BCS bowl games come first though...
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6540|San Diego, CA, USA
I'm a Conservative Republican and I might approve this propsed change.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

Harmor wrote:

I'm a Conservative Republican and I might approve this propsed change.
lemme guess, you read the San Diego Union-Tribune? i did not think there was a paper more conservative than the Deseret News, until i read the Trib.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6402|'Murka

I care about this, but Jesus fuck I wish Congress would spend their time on something more important.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6708|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
Should there be a BCS playoff?  Yes.

Should congress spend its time in any way, shape, or form in investigating/implementing a playoff system?  No.  You dumbasses have more important shit to do.  College sports, or sports of any kind for that matter, should not be on the congressional adgenda.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6706|US
Well, on the bright side, they can't screw up anything else while pondering the pros and cons of the BCS system...

On the not so bright side, they can't do their jobs while focused on the BCS...
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

S.Lythberg wrote:

Chinese threatening sanctions because of Taiwan arms deal?
Iranians enriching uranium?
North Koreans kidnapping journalists?
Haitians dying by the thousands?
Economic failure looming for many states?
Education system in shambles?

BCS bowl games come first though...
China already imposed sanctions on US companies that sold arms to Taiwan... Funny thing is, those companies are banned from selling weapons to China in the first place due to national security reasons (And Tienanmen square massacre). So it's a non-threat that made me lulz.

Btw China should note that it IS US law to provide Taiwan with defense systems.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard