cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6667|NJ
Two Earth Quakes = they really shouldn't be focusing any time at all on religion and they should be spending all their time on surviving and finding survivors.

I can see your point how it could bring a community together and they can pray when the day is done, but they could do it with out a high tech bible. Normal Bibles yes I"m all for it, the priest have to have an education in the town, but I think the number was 300 of high tech Bible designed for uneducated people, that just sounds expensive.
PureFodder
+225|6256
It's as bad as the Brits selling divining rods to Iraq.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/world … nsors.html

A huge waste of money in a situation where that money could have done a whole lot of good.
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.

PureFodder wrote:

It's as bad as the Brits selling divining rods to Iraq.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/world … nsors.html

A huge waste of money in a situation where that money could have done a whole lot of good.
It's not as bad as that, it's far, far worse.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6376|North Carolina

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

As far as I can tell, Haiti is more than religious enough.  Religion would seem to be the only thing they have a surplus of other than suffering, disease, and death.
That is my point, in a way, Catholism, Christianity in most 3rd world countries are much more dependent on religion that other countries. They take it much more seriously than the "typical" Christian/ Catholic in America.  Their belief systems run much deeper through their societies, through there decision making, through their laws than in America or similar countries. But in the end, they will look to their religion more often than not, even in the worst of times. If it gets them through whatever they are dealing with, good for them. If these bibles help in that way and there will be people who will use them....then so what!
I see where you're coming from, but from a purely pragmatic viewpoint, I think ruisleipa still makes more sense.

I don't have anything against religious people proselytizing or giving out Bibles, but normal ones written in the local languages would have sufficed.

The money they could've saved from that approach could've been used for more food or water.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard