Benzin
+576|5991

Macbeth wrote:

Is there anything you can do or would need 6 cores for...
Folding. The problem, though, and this also is addressed to Cammy, is that it doesn't so much matter whether or not the mobos will support it (obviously a large issue), but will any of the programs out there really support it? I mean, outside of the scientific world, there really aren't many programs that can take advantage of that much computing power. Certainly the hyper threading works wonders, but the programs that truly take advantage of it do it so much more beautifully than those that don't. Hell, the consumer market is just now really getting used to the idea of a larger amount of quad cores available on the market - think how long they have been out and how long it's doing to take before six cores really become a necessity.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6358|California
holy poop im only running on a E8400 lol
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6407|Finland

I think I'll skip. Looking forward to Sandy Bridge.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5781|Catherine Black

CapnNismo wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Is there anything you can do or would need 6 cores for...
Folding. The problem, though, and this also is addressed to Cammy, is that it doesn't so much matter whether or not the mobos will support it (obviously a large issue), but will any of the programs out there really support it? I mean, outside of the scientific world, there really aren't many programs that can take advantage of that much computing power. Certainly the hyper threading works wonders, but the programs that truly take advantage of it do it so much more beautifully than those that don't. Hell, the consumer market is just now really getting used to the idea of a larger amount of quad cores available on the market - think how long they have been out and how long it's doing to take before six cores really become a necessity.
Photoshop only started supporting 4 cores with CS2 or 3 IIRC.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6431|King Of The Islands

Finray wrote:

i can has i3 i5 for $80 more?
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5781|Catherine Black

Cheez wrote:

Finray wrote:

i can has i3 i5 i7 for £70 more?
If we're going down that road..
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6167|Sydney | ♥

Sweet!

Price drop on all the other shit 2-3 months after march.. June 2010... my love

Last edited by tazz. (2010-01-20 07:46:39)

everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Scratch[USA]
+105|6540
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6542|UK

I've been putting off and putting off mine for monts now waiting on this, thing is, I dont fancy spending $1000 on an extreme intel CPU as I've never really understood why anyone who wants a 1366 socket CPU buys anything, other, than a 920 (bar nut case extreme OCers).

It does tie into my plan if Fermi and the R3E release at that time where they supposedly will.......

Fuck.
Benzin
+576|5991
6 core Xeons? Dayum
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6614|London, England
multiple cores/64-bit etc.. still has a good few years before it comes properly mainstream, I'd say maybe 5-6 years still. Let alone 6 cores. It's all fun and games until you realise this shit is useless. But it's not even fun and games cos the games are just as useless as being optimised for this shit.

I can sit here with my 32 bit single core CPU and be fine for a long time with it.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-01-20 11:57:32)

GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6407|Finland

Mekstizzle wrote:

multiple cores/64-bit etc.. still has a good few years before it comes properly mainstream, I'd say maybe 5-6 years still. Let alone 6 cores. It's all fun and games until you realise this shit is useless. But it's not even fun and games cos the games are just as useless as being optimised for this shit.

I can sit here with my 32 bit single core CPU and be fine for a long time with it.
It will be mainstream far sooner than 5 years. Quads became mainstream in just 2 years or so.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2010-01-20 12:08:21)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Benzin
+576|5991
Quads took longer to get properly mainstream than two years... Hell, 64 bit has been around for how long, though?
mikkel
+383|6594

Mekstizzle wrote:

Virtually all new desktops and laptops mid-range and above are sold with multiple 64-bit cores. I'm pretty sure that defines mainstream. 5-6 years ago people were getting hard over Prescotts. The industry moves fast.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463

mikkel wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Virtually all new desktops and laptops mid-range and above are sold with multiple 64-bit cores. I'm pretty sure that defines mainstream. 5-6 years ago people were getting hard over Prescotts. The industry moves fast.
yeah but what games and apps are properly using them?

personally my biggest deterrent to upgrade my rig over these last 3-4 years has been that every game has been shit

the pc tech-industry can soar all it likes but if there are no consumer applications for lil' old me that are interesting/entertaining/useful... i ain't buying it. folding geeks are a separate breed.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6407|Finland

Uzique wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

yeah but what games and apps are properly using them?

personally my biggest deterrent to upgrade my rig over these last 3-4 years has been that every game has been shit

the pc tech-industry can soar all it likes but if there are no consumer applications for lil' old me that are interesting/entertaining/useful... i ain't buying it. folding geeks are a separate breed.
There is a reason why pretty much all CPUs sold these days are dual cores minimum. Needless to say the benefits from going multi-core are huge.

You don't need to fold to benefit from dual core over single core.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6660

Nonsense.  Corporations will gobble these up for VM Servers.

A VM server needs a few extra muscles for a limited period for a rollout?  Give it some extra RAM and CPU but just clicking a few settings.

Last edited by Ilocano (2010-01-20 13:24:25)

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6729|Salt Lake City

I'll stick with my 3.23GHZ Q6600.  Four cores at that speed is more than enough for my multitasking needs.  Any distributed computing I do is run on my video card.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard