BVC
+325|6666
Inspired by the America thread, how in your view does your country see itself?

I'll start the ball rolling.

New Zealand

We're a wealthy english-speaking, white-majority, democracy with only 4 million people situated on a bunch of large islands at the south-western end of the pacific (ie. in the middle of nowhere/in the arse-end of the pacific)

We have a strange mindset, sort of like small mans syndrome...being that we're young, small and in the middle of nowhere we don't have as many "acheivements" to crow about as many other nations, but we're intensely proud of what we have done (first to give women the vote and the first to conquer mt everest are favourites), we think nobody even knows we exist and we want to make damned sure everyone does!  We're also quite hard on ourselves in almost every way; the all blacks lose, its time for a new captain...the government makes a minor fuckup, some MPs resignation is being called for...etc   Its a strange hybrid of pride and self-loathing, really...

We believe that over the past 20 or so years we've been making up our own mind more and more, rather than letting others tell us who we should and shouldn't be friends with...

We like to think of ourselves as being this open and accepting beacon of social harmony, but beneath the surface we're still a bit bigotted...though we are changing; these days racism tends to be directed more at arabs and asians wheras in days gone by its been directed at the native Maori and pacific islanders, and when it is present there is less of it around.

Though we don't think of ourselves as a military nation, war has helped shape our nation and our identity, and we've always given our war veterans quiet respect at the very least.  Our equiviliant of the day of remembrance, ANZAC day (a day we share with our Australian brothers and sisters) is less than a week away, April the 25th, so theres a lot of the whole "war thing" at the moment.  We believe that our military is among the most skilled in the world, despite its size and lack of equipment.  These days its more about humanitarian efforts than blowing shit up...of course a world war will probably change that...we're also a lot more "internationally peaceful" than we used to be.  We're far less likely to join in a war than we used to be (we shot stuff in Afghanistan but not in Iraq), but would probably still jump in if one of our friends were to be invaded...

We like to think of ourselves as being "clean and green", and we are in many areas, but others aren't as good as we'd like; we're a farming nation (even now!) and nobody will attack the bad practises of farming unless they're REALLY bad...but then again we are overly hard on ourselves...

We're not really sure of our place in the world; we know we have one, we just don't really know where it is.  Still forming our identity I guess.

Your turn
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
Australia

We see ourselves as a fairly wealthy, well off, secular nation.

While we have a reputation for being 'outback' and 'outdoors', we are actually urban are affluent.

We do not have a militaristic culture. We ahve a very multicultural nation.

We have massive mineral and ore reserves and we are making maximum use of them.

I'll leave the rest to my many compatriots on these forums.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6735|Dallas
America

We own.

We have a military of 4,000,000,000 x2 and we will kick anyone's ass who.....

Actually, thats BS.  We are a large country who needs to get off it's high horse.  We start shit and then claim to be the victim.  We invade countries for no reason.  We also have a lot of fat rich corporate oil barons who like to make the rich richer and the poor poorer.  Our goverment is largly corrupt at the moment and no one seems to care.  Pollution is an issue here, mainly because of people wanting to look pretty in thier Hummer H2's with 50 inch chrome rims with baby seal eye hubcaps.  Crime is bad.

Time for a "regime" change.

Ohh and on behalf of America, I apologize to the world for the U.S. being an extreme ASSHOLE.
Kontrolfreq
+50|6575|Cambridge UK
United Kingdom

We have a 'special relationship' with America. Which essentially means backing them up over most issues while telling our public that we're on side with Europe. We're kinda caught between the two, trying to keep both on side.

The country is split into those who wish to keep the UK as it is, and those who wish to become more hip and Euro. Personally I think somewhere in the middle will be just peachy.

Our leaders comprise mostly of old guys trying desperately to appeal to the younger generation (often with hilarious results) Then there are the new and 'with-it' polititions who try to convince the older population that they aren't going to spend all day playing PS2 and throwing parties... Basically we're going through a transition and we're caught in the middle at the moment.

We speak "Briddish" or "Posh" depending on where you come from. And no, I don't know your friend John Smith who lives in London...

We have rubbish weather, 97% of our days are overcast, but we do have Nectar Points... so thats ok then (oh and we have sarcasm down to a tee)
elite
+89|6684|Sheffield, England
uk

perfect island, quite a nice place when the sun is shining

nice people mostly

good jobs, tonnes to go around

best army

and so on and so forth
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6709|The Hague, Netherlands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Netherlands

hmm well, small country. other countries are crying about our gay marriage stuff and wiet policy, doesn't bother me. some see us as crazy people but well nothing more to say really accept great DJ's maybe proud of a huge mainport like Rotterdam or something. half the country is below sealevel. Dikes. Deltaworks.  But then when you think of Jan Peter Balkenende(prime minister) you wanna scream. so we have great things but also stupid things

Or the royal family, they dont do anything accept travel and give away the money, helping people out maybe or something like the red cross and just now with Argentina(Maxima) somethings

Last edited by -=>cSc<=-*RunDje*cT| (2006-04-20 10:19:09)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
cat4ever
+69|6723|CATALONIA
CATALUNYA(CATALONIA)

A land which belongs to spain, and tries to become independent(independència o mort, CATALONIA IS NOT SPAIN!)

6-7MIO people live there

here is some information for people who is interested

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalonia_ … rritory%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Catalonia1.PNG
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6807

Cougar wrote:

America

We own.

Actually, thats BS.  We are a large country who needs to get off it's high horse.  We start shit and then claim to be the victim.  We invade countries for no reason.  We also have a lot of fat rich corporate oil barons who like to make the rich richer and the poor poorer.  Our goverment is largly corrupt at the moment and no one seems to care.  Pollution is an issue here, mainly because of people wanting to look pretty in thier Hummer H2's with 50 inch chrome rims with baby seal eye hubcaps.  Crime is bad.

Ohh and on behalf of America, I apologize to the world for the U.S. being an extreme ASSHOLE.
speak for yourself
BellusEndus
Make love not war
+59|6593|Edinburg
Scotland

England is full of wankers

the Welsh shag sheep

We have been oppressed for too long by our southern fairy neighbours and will get revenge!

America = tourists with loads of dosh!

Europe = great to visit cos they hate English tourists so when they find out your Scottish you get loads of free booze!

Our country is cold cos we don't like outsiders and wanna keep it that way.....if it aint the Vikings its the Saxons and if it aint them its those bloody English again! Just leave us in peace to eat chippies, drink Tennents Special Brew, have kids at 14 and die of heart disease at 30!!

And as above no I don't know Jimmy MacDonald from Auchtaradder....

Oh and don't get me started on dry humour, cynisism (or spelling for that matter) or being tight with money....

Last edited by BellusEndus (2006-04-20 15:11:17)

Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

Norway

Hm .... no debt, beautiful woman, smart men. Fjords,glaciers and mountains.

And 1.640.000.000.000 norwegian kroner in our national oilfund (divide with 11,5 for british pounds and divide by 6,5 for $)

We have snow 6 months pr year with i my opinion sucks ass.

Some time ago we invaded Scotland, but there was nothing there but highland sheepfuc .. eh hearders so we went on to discover america - thats right, about 500 years before Columbus a norwegian fisherman was the first to set foot on what is now british colombia - we said hey to the local population, thought them how to make fire and went home. Columbus came round 500 years later and called them indians because we all know he didn`t have a clue where he was.

All norwegians think very well bout themselves and have reason to ;-)

We have the most expensive gasolin in the world, equals 6 dollars pr gallon (that is if a gallon is ca 3 liters)
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6660|Tampa Bay Florida

Cougar wrote:

America

We own.

plus 1 karma for you
herrr_smity
+156|6598|space command ur anus

Varegg wrote:

Norway

Hm .... no debt, beautiful woman, smart men. Fjords,glaciers and mountains.

And 1.640.000.000.000 norwegian kroner in our national oilfund (divide with 11,5 for british pounds and divide by 6,5 for $)

We have snow 6 months pr year with i my opinion sucks ass.

Some time ago we invaded Scotland, but there was nothing there but highland sheepfuc .. eh hearders so we went on to discover america - thats right, about 500 years before Columbus a norwegian fisherman was the first to set foot on what is now british colombia - we said hey to the local population, thought them how to make fire and went home. Columbus came round 500 years later and called them indians because we all know he didn`t have a clue where he was.

All norwegians think very well bout themselves and have reason to ;-)

We have the most expensive gasolin in the world, equals 6 dollars pr gallon (that is if a gallon is ca 3 liters)
We don't have the most expensive gasoline in the world, if you consider that we have better wage's then all the rest of the world.

Last edited by herrr_smity (2006-04-20 16:08:42)

MooseRyder
+37|6625|Montréal, Canada
Canada

2nd biggest country in the world with only 33 millions poeple. Our army is kinda of a joke compare to some other big countries, i mean, we have around 60 thousands soldiers for the hole country. The only times our army have been used outside of the country since WW2 was mostly with the UN and NATO, which i thinks is a good thing.

Lester Pearson (old prime minister from the 60s) created the first peacekeeping force (the blue helmets you see on tv) for the UN in 1956, since then, Canada have serverd more then any other countries in peacekeeping missions in the world. Besides that I think we are a quiet country, i mean, you rarely hear about us on the international scene.

Our population is mainly growing because of the massive immigration of people coming from other countries, besides that the population is getting older and we would need to do more kids then what we are doing right now to have a bigger population for the future. Without immigration we would had problems in the future.

Our economy is kinda good, we didnt had a recession for many many years now and since 2001 we have the best overall economic performance of the G8.

thats pretty much what i can think about right now, feel free to had something if i forgot something important.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6633|USA

MooseRyder wrote:

Canada

2nd biggest country in the world with only 33 millions poeple. Our army is kinda of a joke compare to some other big countries, i mean, we have around 60 thousands soldiers for the hole country. The only times our army have been used outside of the country since WW2 was mostly with the UN and NATO, which i thinks is a good thing.

Lester Pearson (old prime minister from the 60s) created the first peacekeeping force (the blue helmets you see on tv) for the UN in 1956, since then, Canada have serverd more then any other countries in peacekeeping missions in the world. Besides that I think we are a quiet country, i mean, you rarely hear about us on the international scene.

Our population is mainly growing because of the massive immigration of people coming from other countries, besides that the population is getting older and we would need to do more kids then what we are doing right now to have a bigger population for the future. Without immigration we would had problems in the future.

Our economy is kinda good, we didnt had a recession for many many years now and since 2001 we have the best overall economic performance of the G8.

thats pretty much what i can think about right now, feel free to had something if i forgot something important.
Club Super Sexy in Montreal.....St Catherines St.

Right Moose?
MooseRyder
+37|6625|Montréal, Canada

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

MooseRyder wrote:

Canada

Club Super Sexy in Montreal.....St Catherines St.

Right Moose?
hahahahahaha ill let you brag about that place, you seen to know more about it then i do
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Cougar wrote:

America

We own.

What a tired old liberal saw, and I'll gladly take -100 karma points for saying so.

You also forgot to mention the pride people (including you, as you brought it up in another thread) take in getting away with multiple abortions on a yearly bases. That conflicts with my idea of morality more than owning a Hummer.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-04-20 18:19:09)

ShellShock.PwN
+31|6758|Barrie Ontario
Canada,

we like to drink and party...AND we have some of the hottest women on the planet.

Last edited by ShellShock.PwN (2006-04-20 18:21:02)

CommandoRog
+10|6654|USA
Cougar do not apologize for me to the whole world for being American.

If you consider yourself an asshole for what our Goverment does then fine,but dont try to be the Ambassador

to the world and apologize for the (U.S.People) as a whole being assholes,because we are not.

We are a good people that have its up´s and downs,rights and wrongs,good and bad just like everyone in this 
World.

I think it should be more like-

Ohh and on behalf of America, I apologize to the world for the U.S. Goverment being  extreme ASSHOLES.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

Bastard. It was MY job to do New Zealand.
Very thorough job you did though.
I would also like to add that we think we're way more important then we really are. If we have an opinion on world affairs, we really think that people care what we think. It happens, but it's rare when people care what we think, (much like my input here in the forums.)
We like the whole greenie liberal image we emmit, helped along by our very strong anti-nuclear stance and marine conservation.

And one more thing: New Zealand music rules. Our Prime Minister also happens to be the Minister for Arts and that has helped the NZ music scene get some money, and some awesome talent has shown it's head. America still dosn't sign any of our bands, (America is the Holy Grail - if you make it there you MAKE it,) if they do sign any they force them to change their name and their style of music. Still, we've had a couple of recognitions, (the iPod ad with the song "Walkie Talkie Man" is by Steriogram - NZ band, and also the same song was nominated for a grammy, among few others,) but realy we're still pretty much unheard.
We have New Zealand music month every May where there's normally some effing good gigs and NZ CDs go on sale for cheap.

Okay, you've heard enough about New Zealand now. I told you we thought we were more important than we really are.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
ShellShock.PwN
+31|6758|Barrie Ontario
Apology Accepted Commando....lol im joking
jpost8391
+7|6552|chantilly, va
United States (goin for the far right almost facist view here - karma is welcome for this post cause i dont really care)

1. We love our SUVs that get 10 miles to the gallon
2. The rest of the world needs to STFU and let us do our thing
3. Immigrants. if you arent legal, get out.  sure we may not have any more people to work at McDonalds or Taco Bell but who cares... we dont need 50 million of them around anywas
4. Liberals. Stfu and stop bashing Bush just cause it seems to be the 'hip' thing to do.
5. If your arent gonna contribute to the country then dont come here. and if your in the country and are like always stoned on weed and are like... "woah man war is bad" then get out i dont want stinky hippies ruining my country. I'd rather have smog then pot smoke
6. Football. played with the hands not the feet.
7.  Like that quote from Bill Clinton "There is nothing patriotic about hating your country, or pretending that you can love your country but despise your government. There is nothing heroic about turning your back on America, or ignoring your own responsibilities.”   so yea.... if all your gonna do is bash the government and not do anything about it go STFU and have your little 'republican-hating clubs' and smoke your weed.

this comes from a American High Schooler

Sweden. Good Hockey. Good Women:)   Go Philadelphia Flyers in the NHL Playoffs (Forsberg is god for that team)

Last edited by jpost8391 (2006-04-20 19:11:57)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS

jpost8391 wrote:

United States (goin for the far right almost facist view here - karma is welcome for this post cause i dont really care)

1. We love our SUVs that get 10 miles to the gallon
2. The rest of the world needs to STFU and let us do our thing
3. Immigrants. if you arent legal, get out.  sure we may not have any more people to work at McDonalds or Taco Bell but who cares... we dont need 50 million of them around anywas
4. Liberals. Stfu and stop bashing Bush just cause it seems to be the 'hip' thing to do.
5. If your arent gonna contribute to the country then dont come here. and if your in the country and are like always stoned on weed and are like... "woah man war is bad" then get out i dont want stinky hippies ruining my country. I'd rather have smog then pot smoke
6. Football. played with the hands not the feet.
7.  uh......... i dunno i guess im done

this comes from a American High Schooler

Sweden. Good Hockey. Good Women:)
Lol, football shouldn't be played with feet. FOOTball. Know what FOOT means?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
BEL7
+2|6616|New England
America:
As has been pointed out before, we have the worst voting record of prettty much any democratic nation.  if we get 60% of people to vote in elecitons, it is great.  kinda sad.  we have way too many nukes and our president may have balls to attack other countries, but personally i cannot wait till 2008 when John McCaine becomes president.  We give almost the least foriegn aid per capita (Norway is number one, or 2 or something)  but we have the best trained pilots and most tecniogially advanced army in the world.  our public school system is shit, which is why im at a prep school.   college is becomeing way too expensive (the one im off to is 43,000 per year) as is gasoline.  nearly 3.00, though it doesnt compare to Norway...speaking of Norway, I have lots of fmaily there, cousins and such, and was just there this summer.  everyhting Varegg said is true.  Norway is fucking awesome, the women are hot, the land is beautiful, and the country is ricjh and Oslo is a sweet city.  Would love to go back and Ski Hemsedal someday.  But back to America....uhh well I do like lving here, it is a nice country to live in and we havea good quilty of life.  But there are a lot of problems here that hopefully my generation will strat fixing.
jpost8391
+7|6552|chantilly, va
heh i play football so its fun to make fun of Soccer being called football
jpost8391
+7|6552|chantilly, va

BEL7 wrote:

America:
As has been pointed out before, we have the worst voting record of prettty much any democratic nation.  if we get 60% of people to vote in elecitons, it is great.  kinda sad.  we have way too many nukes and our president may have balls to attack other countries, but personally i cannot wait till 2008 when John McCaine becomes president.  We give almost the least foriegn aid per capita (Norway is number one, or 2 or something)  but we have the best trained pilots and most tecniogially advanced army in the world.  our public school system is shit, which is why im at a prep school.   college is becomeing way too expensive (the one im off to is 43,000 per year) as is gasoline.  nearly 3.00, though it doesnt compare to Norway...speaking of Norway, I have lots of fmaily there, cousins and such, and was just there this summer.  everyhting Varegg said is true.  Norway is fucking awesome, the women are hot, the land is beautiful, and the country is ricjh and Oslo is a sweet city.  Would love to go back and Ski Hemsedal someday.  But back to America....uhh well I do like lving here, it is a nice country to live in and we havea good quilty of life.  But there are a lot of problems here that hopefully my generation will strat fixing.
i dunno ive never been to Sweden or Norway but ive heard its really pretty up there   

back to america..... HAH i can say i live in the 2nd highest income per person county in the whole country according to Wiki

Last edited by jpost8391 (2006-04-20 19:16:47)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard