Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

It's been around 17 days without a cigarette and it's pretty easy for the most part, the only time it'll get tough is when I go back to university in a few days.

Anyway from the age of 14 to 19 I used to smoke a lot. From 14-18 I used to smoke like 8 a day and from 18-19 3 or 4 a day. So even if I continue to not smoke from here on out what are the chances I'll still get cancer later and die like Peter Jennings who quit when he was 21 but still got cancer many years later and died?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5251|foggy bottom
he quit 20 years before he died not when he was 21.  dude was born in 1938 so Id say he was smoking a lot longer than you
Tu Stultus Es
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5465|Ventura, California
Turns out depending on how bad the air is where you live, it's just like smoking. I have a good old friend who used to live in city with bad air pollution (Smog). Now living in the country he can smoke 3 a day and it's the same as being in the city. So he gets his fix, and everybody is happy He's like 50-60 now I think. He's ex-ATF
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6335|California
Btw, cigs aren't exactly the only way you can get cancer. To blame it solely on ciggs without really knowing would be ignorant. I've known at least 4 separate people that have died from cancer without a single cig in their lifetime.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina
Macbeth, I hate to say it, but the damage has already been done.  The likelihood of you dying of lung cancer isn't high if you quit now, but I'd assume if you smoked heavily between those ages, your growth has been somewhat stunted.  For example, you'd probably be a little taller now had you not smoked as much.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5251|foggy bottom
actually, Ive heard if someone who started smoking on their teens and quit before they were 25, everything would be back to normal in a few years.Then again,  I also heard that when I was 14 years old and smoking and Im 27 now and still smoking and I on my very last one in the pack right now

Last edited by eleven bravo (2010-01-17 11:21:31)

Tu Stultus Es
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina

eleven bravo wrote:

actually, Ive heard if someone who started smoking on their teens and quit before they were 25, everything would be back to normal in a few years.Then again,  I also heard that when I was 14 years old and smoking and Im 27 now and still smoking and I on my very last one in the pack right now
I suppose that's possible.  I'm not a doctor, so I could be wrong.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6708
I went to this health site on the internet and put in your info... you have 2 weeks...
Love is the answer
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6613|London, England
I smoke quite alot when I'm drunk/on a night out. Other than that I never feel the need for one, but I really do when I'm drinking.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum
thats how i started smoking, when i was drinking.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

Macbeth wrote:

It's been around 17 days without a cigarette and it's pretty easy for the most part, the only time it'll get tough is when I go back to university in a few days.

Anyway from the age of 14 to 19 I used to smoke a lot. From 14-18 I used to smoke like 8 a day and from 18-19 3 or 4 a day. So even if I continue to not smoke from here on out what are the chances I'll still get cancer later and die like Peter Jennings who quit when he was 21 but still got cancer many years later and died?
8 a day? 3 or 4 a day? Ha! You weren't a real smoker

Anyway, they say that your lungs return to their pre-smoking health at about 10-15 years after quitting with no increased chance of cancer. It's like you never smoked at all.

I've been smoking a pack a day for a decade now
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum
20 a day crew checkin in. thankfully i stopped being able to afford lucky strike reds.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

FatherTed wrote:

20 a day crew checkin in. thankfully i stopped being able to afford lucky strike reds.
I pay $10 a pack here.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum

JohnG@lt wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

I pay $10 a pack here.
last time i check they were 6 quid a pack. loved em, but i roll my own now.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
eleven bravo
+1,399|5251|foggy bottom
I bought a pack for 4.81 the other day.  camel filters
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

Yeah, but then you spent $5 per gallon on gas filling your car
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5251|foggy bottom
it actually likes to dance between 2.90 and 3.20 around.  san diego is where they pay a lot.
Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD

eleven bravo wrote:

I'm surprised by how cheap cigs are in California.

And yeah Mac, I remember reading online something about how 10 years after you quit, your risk of cancer returns to the same levels as a person who hasn't smoked.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Ticia
+73|5327
I smoked on and off for almost 7 years one pack a day every single day for about 3 and quit 'cause of a guy which is the stupidest reason but it worked.
've been off for 5 years now and though i think i probably will die from some type of cancer i rather not smoke. Funny thing is i loved smoking but my life has improved tons since i stopped.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
IIRC If you can not smoke for ten years your probability of getting lung cancer falls to that of someone who hasn't smoked, so it is worth giving up.

The younger you stop the better.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-01-17 17:31:41)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Idlewild
Disrupted Logic
+71|6320|Londawn
What's your luck like? All it really boils down to
BVC
+325|6687
Have you felt any different since stopping?  (eg. don't get puffed so easily, feel healthier etc)

You can die of lung cancer even if you're never exposed to cigarette smoke.  But since you quit, your odds will have got a whole lot better.

One rememdy I've heard of is to stick a single horse hair down the length of a smoke.  Supposedly it makes you sick, and you don't feel like smoking for a while, and after a few of them you just don't feel like doing it at all.
ruisleipa
+149|6214|teh FIN-land
you only smoked for 6 years? ya fuckin pussy. don't worry about it.
ruisleipa
+149|6214|teh FIN-land

Pubic wrote:

One rememdy I've heard of is to stick a single horse hair down the length of a smoke.  Supposedly it makes you sick, and you don't feel like smoking for a while, and after a few of them you just don't feel like doing it at all.
gtfo.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Or just chain-smoke full out until you can't take any more, then mash your face into the ashtray.
Next time you see a cig you should be sick.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard