Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6702|St. Andrews / Oslo

DBBrinson1 wrote:

In talking to a tech support person yesterday, she gave her opinion on laptops. It was Vaio>dell>hp>IBM
opinion = useless
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Dauntless wrote:

what? I use my debit card all the time, what do you mean "track exactly what i have left in the balance"?
You're the exception.  You probably keep a reasonable balance on your debit card account.  Most don't and constantly spend beyond their balance.  And until a recent legislation, banks tended  to play the overdraft trick, where deposits of the day are credited after debits are applied first, and apply large debits first, so that the smaller debits kick in after balance is negative, allowing them to charge overdraft for each of the small debits.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5668

Ilocano wrote:

Dauntless wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Start a bank account, don't get a debit card.
do you mean in general or just shifty?
Never ever get a debit card.  And if the bank does issue one, don't ever use it as a debit card.   It's difficult to track exactly what you have left in the balance when dealing with debit cards.  Stick with credit cards with no fee, and just pay it off each month.  Banks love debit cards because of all the overdraft fees they collect.
I still haven't activated the debit card Chase gave me. Its in my wallet and even has the sticker on it. They gave me a free student account for 5 years. I remember when the women asked if I wanted a Credit Card and a "points reward" option on my account and how I kept refusing(it cost $25/per year for the "points reward"). You could tell she was seriously disappointed/pissed from the look on her face.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

Ilocano wrote:

Dauntless wrote:

what? I use my debit card all the time, what do you mean "track exactly what i have left in the balance"?
You're the exception.  You probably keep a reasonable balance on your debit card account.  Most don't and constantly spend beyond their balance.  And until a recent legislation, banks tended  to play the overdraft trick, where deposits of the day are credited after debits are applied first, and apply large debits first, so that the smaller debits kick in after balance is negative, allowing them to charge overdraft for each of the small debits.
Yeah well I guess if you're silly enough to go into your overdraft you're going to pay for it. (But I have a £2,000 interest free overdraft and I don't spend what I don't have)

I prefer using my debit card to my credit card because I keep forgetting to pay off the balance at the end of the month, they aren't big amounts but it's still annoying. I probably should use it more and pay it off just to improve my credit rating though...
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6679|Charlie One Alpha
Don't spend what you don't have and a debit card is not a problem at all. Come on.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6702|St. Andrews / Oslo

LaidBackNinja wrote:

Don't spend what you don't have and a debit card is not a problem at all. Come on.
word.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

Jenspm wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

word.
zactly
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

Dauntless wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

word.
zactly
this.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6100|Carnoustie MASSIF
UK Debit card =/= US Debit card.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

max wrote:

Dauntless wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

word.
zactly
this.
I agree.  Good for you all.  US folks are far more materialistic and will spend more than they have.

Whenever I go to my banks ATM to get some cash, I often find transaction stubs stating balances like $40 on peoples checking accounts.  And then they withdraw $5.

So, what makes a non-US debit card different?
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6100|Carnoustie MASSIF

Ilocano wrote:

max wrote:

Dauntless wrote:

zactly
this.
I agree.  Good for you all.  US folks are far more materialistic and will spend more than they have.

Whenever I go to my banks ATM to get some cash, I often find transaction stubs stating balances like $40 on peoples checking accounts.  And then they withdraw $5.

So, what makes a non-US debit card different?
UK debit card is a card you use to withdraw money out the bank that you have in your account.

Say your balance is £1500...you can take out £300 in one go from an ATM.

Yes, you might have an overdraft, and that makes is slightly different, but the principle is still the same, you can only take out money that you have in the bank.
ruisleipa
+149|6192|teh FIN-land
save the money.

but if you really want a laptop, don't buy a Dell or a Sony. As others have said yuo can get same specs for like a third less...
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6335|California
I have a debit card and two credit cards, im too young for this
but yes, I always use my debit card over my credit card but I don't usually don't have to because as an Asian we always carry cold hard cash on us...
don't rob me!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone
Credit > Debit.

Why use your own money when you can use someone else's?

Also its your fucking money, do what you want with it. Obviously you want the computer, so next step is the justifying the cost to yourself. Work out a budget, and then ask 'What is the best X I can get for Y moneies'.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

DrunkFace wrote:

Credit > Debit.

Good point, it's just free money really right? Also if they ask you if you want cashback, just take the highest amount you can get, you're just taking money out of their cash drawer!

VicktorVauhn
+319|6362|Southern California

Dauntless wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Credit > Debit.

Good point, it's just free money really right? Also if they ask you if you want cashback, just take the highest amount you can get, you're just taking money out of their cash drawer!

Well, he is right though. It's fairly insignificant but there is a time value to money.

$50 now is worth more then $50 in a week, people way pay for the use of money NOW.

You aren't likely to find an interest rate high enough to make the difference significant.... but if its either one why not leave that money there helping to gain interest in the mean time?
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6408|King Of The Islands

Ilocano wrote:

Yes, but the Sony internals would generally be of higher quality.
Unlike HP's inferior non-exploding batteries.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation

DrunkFace wrote:

Credit > Debit.

Because, and this is the trick: borrowing money costs money. By using someone else's moneyyou create a debt, and a debt that you also pay interest over. That is why. I'm so depressed about the fact that I even had to explain this.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
VicktorVauhn

LaidBackNinja wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Credit > Debit.

Because, and this is the trick: borrowing money costs money. By using someone else's moneyyou create a debt, and a debt that you also pay interest over. That is why. I'm so depressed about the fact that I even had to explain this.
Yeah, but again... You can pay your balance off at the end of the month with no charges.
If your paying off your balance and not paying any interest you end up with more by holding onto your money longer.
ruisleipa
+149|6192|teh FIN-land

VicktorVauhn wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Credit > Debit.

Yeah, but again... You can pay your balance off at the end of the month with no charges.
If your paying off your balance and not paying any interest you end up with more by holding onto your money longer.
Well you only have it for max a month longer...so what's the point? Of course most people don't pay it back at the end of the month, which is why they get into massive debt...
VicktorVauhn

ruisleipa wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

Well you only have it for max a month longer...so what's the point? Of course most people don't pay it back at the end of the month, which is why they get into massive debt...
The point is if you have two options, and one is even SLIGHTLY better... its probably a good idea to take that one.

Agreed, this isn't going to set him up for life, the difference between the two is so minimal that its probably not worth worrying about...

But as long as it is being discussed, and as long as we are taking the time to figure out what to do, why not keep my money for now? Like you said, it costs money to borrow money... So for the time being while I have the option to hang on to my money with out charge (even if only for a month) why not hang on to it so some one can pay you to borrow it?

Last edited by VicktorVauhn (2010-01-15 04:20:07)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5443|Ventura, California
I think I'll get it, it's only 1'000 francs, that's like nothing.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone

LaidBackNinja wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Credit > Debit.

You're an idiot if you don 't get a card with at least 60 days interest free. And for those 60 days which you used your own money like a sucka mine has been earning interest.

Anyone who is not brain dead and earns an average wage would come out hundreds of dollars ahead each year using credit over debit, and by using in store deals of 12-36 months interest free you can cut the real cost of most large items by anything up to 25%. Now compound those saving over the course of a lifetime and you are talking tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars, all because you used credit over debit and nothing else.

I'm sorry but Credit > Debit.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
Just out of curiousity, just how much interest does your bank pay you over your money?
baggs
+732|6174

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I think I'll get it, it's only 1'000 francs, that's like nothing.
for sure, but no amount of money will buy you a personality.

trust me...

... Finray's tried.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard