WarmPudgy
+41|6558|Arkansas
what motherboard would allow for the fastest dual raptors in raid 0?

it must have pci-e
and must support my shiny new fx-60
and must allow me to some what over clock it to the fx-57 speeds

crossfire or sli doesnt matter, i havent decided on a vga yet
BlackLegion42
Damn Command and Conquer Generals...
+62|6700|Rochester, NY
ASUS and GIGABYTE seems to make exception SLI and Crossfire Mobos that support AMD overclocking and even fast RAID 0 Configs for raptors. Check around many tech sites on ASUS amd GIGABYTE mobos. There are so many mobos that it is very difficult to pick a specific model and even several good models of mobos has various personal preference from people.
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6565|Ohio, USA
DFI boards are also great.
vjs
+19|6741
Don't know about the best but just look at the Raid controller. They are probably the same between the boards.

I know that the promise on my MSI board didn't do very well with 2xraptor-0, neither does the abit.

Really your best bet for the ulimate fastest is an add-in card with on-board raid processor and memory if you want to spend the money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-CERC-64MB-6por … dZViewItem

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/produc … =home_menu
bigelectricat
+3|6662
i agree with vjs. if you already spent that much on the processor it should be a no brainer whether or not to get a high end raid card with upgradeable on board memory. the built in raid controllers on motherboards are still software based and use a lot of cpu cycles compared to true hardware raid.
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6665|Mountains of West Virginia
That RAID card the vjs posted is a very nice card BTW.
lilmike815
+2|6765|Chicago, IL, U. S. A.
The ASUS A8N SLI family of boards get great reviews
vjs
+19|6741

bigelectricat wrote:

i agree with vjs. if you already spent that much on the processor it should be a no brainer whether or not to get a high end raid card with upgradeable on board memory. the built in raid controllers on motherboards are still software based and use a lot of cpu cycles compared to true hardware raid.
Trying to figure out this whole karma thing, so why did you negative karma me after my post was it not helpful?

The cat is correct, software raid for stripping i.e. Raid-0 generally takes at least 2% and I've seen it take >10% on some of the older machines and cards. This is part of the reason raid-5 isn't as good of a performance option at one would think.

That card is my personal favorite but I've yet to find a deal on one. LSI and a couple other card manufactures are decent, but the advantage is the adaptec cards are supported by MS install disks. O/S with SCSI installation a little less of a hastle.
Sub-Zero79
Man...I'm freezing!
+65|6594|Ghost Town
The Gigabyte K8 Triton Series will do fine! It supports all...! :-)
WarmPudgy
+41|6558|Arkansas
thanks for you input guys!
all +1

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard