Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5588

Rep. Peter Welch (D-Vt.) will introduce legislation that would impose a 50% tax on excessive bonuses at firms that received bailout funds.

The "Wall Street Bonus Tax Act" would apply only to bonuses over $50,000, and would use the tax revenue to support loans to small businesses.

Welch unveiled the proposal at a press conference in Burlington this morning.

"As most Americans struggle to endure a long and wrenching recession, the same Wall Street bankers who came to the American taxpayer with hat in hand are now preparing to pocket record-breaking bonuses,” said Welch. “Financial firms that received taxpayer assistance must remember that they owe their return to profitability to hardworking Americans.”

Reports this week indicated that a handful of the largest firms receiving TARP funds--Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, Chase, Goldman Sachs, and Bank of America--will pay out $90 billion in bonuses.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- … on-bonuses
They paid back their debts to the government so am I the only who thinks the government can go fuck itself in this case and leave these people alone?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

Macbeth wrote:

Rep. Peter Welch (D-Vt.) will introduce legislation that would impose a 50% tax on excessive bonuses at firms that received bailout funds.

The "Wall Street Bonus Tax Act" would apply only to bonuses over $50,000, and would use the tax revenue to support loans to small businesses.

"As most Americans struggle to endure a long and wrenching recession, the same Wall Street bankers who came to the American taxpayer with hat in hand are now preparing to pocket record-breaking bonuses,” said Welch. “Financial firms that received taxpayer assistance must remember that they owe their return to profitability to hardworking Americans.”

Reports this week indicated that a handful of the largest firms receiving TARP funds--Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, Chase, Goldman Sachs, and Bank of America--will pay out $90 billion in bonuses.
They paid back their debts to the government so am I the only who thinks the government can go fuck itself in this case and leave these people alone?
It's just populist crap to get himself re-elected back home. It would be a completely illegal tax. No worries.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5704|College Park, MD
$50,000 is a pretty low limit. You can get a bigger bonus by enlisting in the Army. Which under this law would end up getting slashed in half.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

$50,000 is a pretty low limit. You can get a bigger bonus by enlisting in the Army. Which under this law would end up getting slashed in half.
Army bonuses aren't paid in a lump sum.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I know, but would they still get counted as above the limit under this legislation?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I know, but would they still get counted as above the limit under this legislation?
Probably not. Don't worry anyway. The bill won't pass.

New York State is already teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. If this bill did manage to pass it would give it a nice shove off the cliff followed by a nosedive into insolvency. If you don't think that won't have a ripple effect across the country... Man these senators come up with some silly shit in order to gain the votes of pissed off, jealous people.
-Frederick Bastiat
Phrozenbot
+632|6618|do not disturb

What about bonuses in the form of stock? If companies want to glorify themselves on how great they are with large bonuses, let them.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

Macbeth wrote:

Not all of them paid back what they were loaned out.  Also, the government owns a significant amount of stock in some of these companies.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-01-13 21:21:25)

Phrozenbot
+632|6618|do not disturb

Good point. Major share holders can get a say.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6719
I think its just an incentive to let bonus' be in the form of stocks no?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
ruisleipa
+149|6225|teh FIN-land

JohnG@lt wrote:

Man these senators come up with some silly shit in order to gain the votes of pissed off, jealous people.
something the republicans excel at! And those tea-party folks. No news there tbh.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

The army recieved a bail out?
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

ruisleipa wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Man these senators come up with some silly shit in order to gain the votes of pissed off, jealous people.
something the republicans excel at! And those tea-party folks. No news there tbh.
I know you're an expert on America having seen a few Michael Moore movies but the Dems are historically about a thousand times more likely to introduce populist measures. This bill was introduced by a Dem.
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6719

JohnG@lt wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I know you're an expert on America having seen a few Michael Moore movies but the Dems are historically about a thousand times more likely to introduce populist measures. This bill was introduced by a Dem.
Most of the best president's (in my opinion) have been republicans. God I love Teddy.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6738|Salt Lake City

These banks played a large role in the situation that we are still in at this moment in time.  They come with their hands out to keep from going bankrupt, and yes they paid it back, but now they think it's time to go back to business as usual while the situation they helped create is very much at hand.  Even if it is only for a limited period of time, I say they should tax these higher-up execs at 50% of their bonuses.

Maybe this will be an incentive not to do what they were doing before, and with people like this, hitting them in the pocket book is how you make a point.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6544|Texas - Bigger than France
Oh great.  Let's give them Tarp money and then penalize them.

How about just not giving them money in the first place?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

These banks played a large role in the situation that we are still in at this moment in time.  They come with their hands out to keep from going bankrupt, and yes they paid it back, but now they think it's time to go back to business as usual while the situation they helped create is very much at hand.  Even if it is only for a limited period of time, I say they should tax these higher-up execs at 50% of their bonuses.

Maybe this will be an incentive not to do what they were doing before, and with people like this, hitting them in the pocket book is how you make a point.
Take the emotion out of it and think about what you're saying for a few minutes. Think about the consequences.
-Frederick Bastiat
Phrozenbot
+632|6618|do not disturb

Pug wrote:

That's how I feel.

Anyways, it seems companies that give the largest bonuses are the least fundamentally sound. No need to tax the bonuses, they say a lot. I only understand the issue with companies receiving government aid, but like you said, maybe we shouldn't bail them out.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

eleven bravo wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

The army recieved a bail out?
lulz that would be sad

For some reason I thought this bill was gonna apply to anything and everything. Not just bailed-out companies.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Phrozenbot wrote:

Pug wrote:

That's how I feel.

Anyways, it seems companies that give the largest bonuses are the least fundamentally sound. No need to tax the bonuses, they say a lot. I only understand the issue with companies receiving government aid, but like you said, maybe we shouldn't bail them out.
Not true at all. They give out such large bonuses because it keeps their payroll costs down, and not static. If they have a bad year they aren't forced to pay the same payroll costs as they would in a good year.

Also, they have no overhead. They don't have to purchase capital goods in order to make money, all they need is brainpower, so they can give a much higher percentage of their revenue to their employees than companies in other industries can. This whole bs is just jealousy.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-01-14 08:04:46)

-Frederick Bastiat
Phrozenbot
+632|6618|do not disturb

JohnG@lt wrote:

Phrozenbot wrote:

Pug wrote:

That's how I feel.

Not true at all. They give out such large bonuses because it keeps their payroll costs down, and not static. If they have a bad year they aren't forced to pay the same payroll costs as they would in a good year.

Also, they have no overhead. They don't have to purchase capital goods in order to make money, all they need is brainpower, so they can give a much higher percentage of their revenue to their employees companies in other industries can. This whole bs is just jealousy.
Not saying they don't, but if you look at Bear Stearns and the Auto Makers, they were handing out enormous bonuses, despite being fundamentally weak. Some companies like to reward crappy leadership excessively. That's their choice how much they want to to pay them, whether it's through bonuses and what not.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Phrozenbot wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Phrozenbot wrote:

That's how I feel.

Also, they have no overhead. They don't have to purchase capital goods in order to make money, all they need is brainpower, so they can give a much higher percentage of their revenue to their employees companies in other industries can. This whole bs is just jealousy.
Not saying they don't, but if you look at Bear Stearns and the Auto Makers, they were handing out enormous bonuses, despite being fundamentally weak. Some companies like to reward crappy leadership excessively. That's their choice how much they want to to pay them, whether it's through bonuses and what not.
Wall Street bonuses are tied to revenue. If the company has a poor year the bonuses aren't nearly as large. 2009 was a record year on the stock market so the bonuses will be record breaking as well.
-Frederick Bastiat
Phrozenbot
+632|6618|do not disturb

And if that revenue is because of 1/30-60 leverage, you can easily make a lot of money just with a minor swing in your favor. It can also break you if things turn a bit sour, hence why I feel they are fundamentally weak. Bear Stearns handed out the biggest bonuses and were the first to fail.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Phrozenbot wrote:

And if that revenue is because of 1/30-60 leverage, you can easily make a lot of money just with a minor swing in your favor. It can also break you if things turn a bit sour, hence why I feel they are fundamentally weak. Bear Stearns handed out the biggest bonuses and were the first to fail.
Well, they're brittle, not weak. It's mostly to do with the fact that they live and die by their quarterly reports. Customers are fickle and will jump ship to another firm if that other firm produces higher profits. So, instead of managing a long term portfolio they're forced to essentially gamble on the stock market, betting this stock will rise and this one will fall in the short term. The risk of catastrophic losses is remote when you're playing in such short windows of time with so many different stocks but this is also the reason they tend to under-perform the market indexes over a long period of time.
-Frederick Bastiat
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6738|Salt Lake City

JohnG@lt wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Take the emotion out of it and think about what you're saying for a few minutes. Think about the consequences.
That's just it, I am thinking about the consequences.  The consequences of not hitting these guys where it hurts to help them understand that they can't keep doing this crap.  It doesn't have to be permanent, but to give these guys billions of dollars to keep them from going bankrupt (basically for free) and then just letting them go back to business as usual while the economy is still in bad shape, and millions of Americans are watching as their investment accounts have tanked, and seeing just how many years it will take for their accounts to recovery from this fiasco.

I'm not saying every executive, just executives of institutions that took TARP funds, and it shouldn't be permanent, but should be long enough to get the point across.  These guys get yearly bonuses that are more than most Americans will make over their entire working lives.  As of 2008 the US median income was $61,500.  Even at that wage for 40 years one would earn a grand total of $2.46 million dollars.  And just how much do these guys get in bonuses every year, let alone their wages?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard