lilmike815
+2|6765|Chicago, IL, U. S. A.
On Myth Busters [Its a show the comes on Discovery Channel in America] they where trying to dispell the myth that bullets could save people from bullets like in the spy movies. You know the ones where they guy jump in the water with bullets flying past, and he always stays alive. Well they took different guns and shot at ballistics jell [Jell that acts like human flesh]. Small guns like a 9mm gave a fatal hit at like 4 feet below teh water I belive, and a solid slug from a shot gun can go give a fatal hit at like 6 feet. Then after that they tried high powered rifles. One was smilar to a scout or the M24 i believe and they tried a M95!!!!!!! The M95 is huge it is almost as  really long and wieght alot, like 50 pounds. But the wierd thing is that when teh bullets where shoot into the watter, it made a huge splash but the bullets broke apart on impact. The metal jacket seperated into small piece wilth teh shell and the jell was not penetrated at all. Maybe it was the surface tension that broke up the shell, but isn't it armor piercing??? And dose any one else out there watch Myth Busters???
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6790
I used to watch it, that is, until I stopped watching TV all together. They didn't say why it broke? It could have been the sudden drop in temprature when it hit the water (I've had coffee makers shatter on me when I poured cool water into it after washing it out with very hot water, works the same way). Maybe the round just heats up more significantly than normal rifle rounds do or something to have caused that. Well at least thats one of my logical assumptions. Who knows.

Last edited by Ryan_Mercury (2005-10-17 22:15:15)

tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6818|San Francisco

Heh, that is pretty interesting, I guess next time I am being chased by someone with a high-powered sniper rifle (hey, it happens more often than you would think!) I will know to just jump in a pool or something.

I don't watch tv much, aside from the few specific shows that I go out of my way to download. Myth Busters isn't one of the regulars but it is an interesting show.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6818|"Frisco"

Perhaps it was a hollow point or fragmentation round which is designed to shatter upon impact and *not* penetrate.
bridgerc
+0|6737
I watch Myth Busters every now and then. Doesn't the M95 shoot .50 cal rounds?
Might have something to do with the size of the round, but then again a shotgun slug and a 9mm really aren't all that small....
Sturmvogel
+1|6746
nm

Last edited by Sturmvogel (2005-10-17 23:41:38)

Bobbytheimpailer
+0|6737
I saw the same episode.  The .50 round broke up as it hit the water from the deacceleration.  It slowed down so much in a very very short period of time and that caused it to fragment. 

If you remember the show, all the subsonic rounds (shotgun, and 9mm that they tested) did farely well in the water, while all the supersonic rounds (.223 from the AR-15, and the .50 from the M95)  fragmented as soon as they hit the water.
ex0331
+-2|6768
just to clarify i was an 0331/machinegunner in the U.S. Marine Corps and the 50 cal was one of the weapon systems we used. there are several types of rounds used with the weapon so no not all rounds are armor piercing. and there are no hollow point .50 cal rounds.
Bobbytheimpailer
+0|6737
They were using standard FMJ rounds for testing the M1, the AR-15 and the M-95
Chard
+1|6802|Christchurch, New Zealand

lilmike815 wrote:

ballistics jell [Jell that acts like human flesh]. Small guns like a 9mm gave a fatal hit at like 4 feet below teh water I belive, and a solid slug from a shot gun can go give a fatal hit at like 6 feet. Then after that they tried high powered rifles. One was smilar to a scout or the M24 i believe and they tried a M95!!!!!!! The M95 is huge it is almost as  really long and wieght alot, like 50 pounds. But the wierd thing is that when teh bullets where shoot into the watter, it made a huge splash but the bullets broke apart on impact. The metal jacket seperated into small piece wilth teh shell and the jell was not penetrated at all. Maybe it was the surface tension that broke up the shell, but isn't it armor piercing??? And dose any one else out there watch Myth Busters???
these 9mm bullets that can go through you also mean the bullet is out of you with mimmal damage unless you hit a organ ( a 9mm hole in your chest, leg, whatever) otherwise you can stop the bleeding and live.

But when you get shot by a bullet that falls apart impact you get
1) massive suface wounds, harder to control bleeding
2) the bits dont come out the other side
3) more bits to get out
4) massive internal injures from the bullet impact
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6812|Missoula, MT
I saw this as well...several months ago.  The higher velocity the bullet travelled, the faster it seemed to break up in the water at very shallow depths.  The civil war replica gun went the furthest under the water but it veered off by severy feet of the target.  They proved pretty conclusively that you'd be pretty safe in just a couple feet of water from just about any present day gun.  I love those guys!  What a cool job! 
Bobbytheimpailer
+0|6737

chard wrote:

But when you get shot by a bullet that falls apart impact you get
1) massive suface wounds, harder to control bleeding
2) the bits dont come out the other side
3) more bits to get out
4) massive internal injures from the bullet impact
The bullets only broke up because of the water....any of the FMJ (full metal jacket) rounds would puch a small hole in the front of you and a make a large one out the back.....
The Soup Nazi
+18|6758|North Lauderdale, FL
another thing that i gleaned from this episode of MythBusters was that their first experiment was in an apparatus that was completely vertical.  they built a rail system for the ballistics gel and mounted it in something that looked like a tall-standing aquarium.  the guns that they fired easily pierced the gel when it was submerged up to 10 feet.  they decided that this isn't a typical angle that people are going to be fired at when underwater.

hence they created a new rail system for the gel that was mounted in a swimming pool.  again the rail system allowed them to adjust the depth of the gel while retaining a perfect 45 degree angle.  this is what i think caused the issues with bullets shattering.  the friction of the water at that angle caused the bullets to disintegrate upon impact.
McCullough
+7|6809
Whoa, i watch Myth Busters every time it's on. But i havent seen this episode. Do you remember wich episode it was?
The Soup Nazi
+18|6758|North Lauderdale, FL
it was an episode called "Bullet-Proof Water."  this was on maybe 4 months ago.

edit:  looks like it's going to be on again soon:  http://www.exn.ca/ontv/episode.asp?epis … 8&TZ=0

Last edited by The Soup Nazi (2005-10-18 09:00:44)

The_Truth_16
+0|6759
thats coo, really interesting,  i personally hate guns as killing each other is so un human, but I find it interesting how simple water can stop anything
Ryan
+1,230|6813|Alberta, Canada

i love that show, i love the new episodes. i havent seen that one i dont think, but i seen the one about the sniper rifle ice bullets that killed kennedy. myth buster is a great show
Home
Section.80
+447|6818|Seattle, Washington, USA

Yeah, I was flippin thru the channels and saw this the other night. The shot the 50 Cal. into a public pool they had rented out, and it made a HUGE explosion when it hit the water. Just from one bullet, the splash went up to the ceiling.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard