FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6543|'Murka

But does it work for sitting and standing?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
rdx-fx
+955|6723
Caffeinated drinks.

Without them, all of this technologically driven world would come to a grinding, screeching halt.

Have you ever seen a Technician or Engineer before they've had their morning fix?

[Note: damn, Father Ted beat me to "sliced bread" by 2.5 years]
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5490|London, England

rdx-fx wrote:

Caffeinated drinks.

Without them, all of this technologically driven world would come to a grinding, screeching halt.

Have you ever seen a Technician or Engineer before they've had their morning fix?

[Note: damn, Father Ted beat me to "sliced bread" by 2.5 years]
https://swervechurch.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/angry-person.jpg
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5675|Toronto
Atom bomb. Hands down. THE reason you shouldn't sleep and night. And it's the embodiment of power. Power. It gave us a real reason to be scared.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5490|London, England

Pochsy wrote:

Atom bomb. Hands down. THE reason you shouldn't sleep and night. And it's the embodiment of power. Power. It gave us a real reason to be scared.
I can sleep at night because of the atom bomb. Why? Because we have a million or so of the buggers pointed at our enemies
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6848

JohnG@lt wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

I can sleep at night because of the atom bomb. Why? Because we have a million or so of the buggers pointed at our enemies
And protecting this tiny fucking island... Even though China's got around 1000 missiles (40 nukes in those I think) pointed at us.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6543|'Murka

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

And protecting this tiny fucking island... Even though China's got around 1000 missiles (40 nukes in those I think) pointed at us.
Yeah, but you guys got Patriots...so no worries. Right?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6848

FEOS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Yeah, but you guys got Patriots...so no worries. Right?
Hopefully lel. But up against a thousand missile on the go? That's not including China's whole inventory.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6806|Canberra, AUS
Last century: definitely the transistor.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,976|6764|949

Internet - thanks Al Gore!
CameronPoe
+2,925|6687
AC motor
Internet
Telephone
Writing
Money (metallic - not paper)
Glass
Refrigerator
Radio
Satellite
Television
Plastic

I'll add more later.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,812|6238|eXtreme to the maX
Integrated circuits.
Gas turbine.
Fibre optics.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6512|MN

Smithereener wrote:

Just curious, but any particular reason as to why these are the greatest inventions (preferably greatest invention to help humanity though).

Because, just based on most of the answers, this belongs in the Junk Drawer, which I did not expect to happen.
For some reason it seems you have attracted Junk Drawer participants for this topic.

I am a huge fan of all the cool stuff like computers, electrical generation and transmission systems, almost any advanced medical improvements, and I love my cell phone with internet and messaging.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
BVC
+325|6827
I'm going to go with Mathematics - its the foundation of so many other inventions.

That or electricity.

OT a bit, is AAA (Anti Air Artillery) much use these days?  Is it very accurate?

Last edited by Pubic (2010-01-10 22:29:04)

Kez
+778|5835|London, UK
the Bible
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6713|SE London

The printing press.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6629

The Pill.
ruisleipa
+149|6354|teh FIN-land
I was gona say condoms but the pill is close enough, cept now we got AIDs and whatnot maybe the condom is better...

hmmmm.
13rin
+977|6611
Lightning Rod.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6629

ruisleipa wrote:

I was gona say condoms but the pill is close enough, cept now we got AIDs and whatnot maybe the condom is better...

hmmmm.
the condom's been around far longer, the Pill sparked the revolution that led to women being able to work outside of the home. it also coincided with the 'free love' decade (the 60's) and created the stereotype of promiscuous stewardesses.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6799

Shadow893 wrote:

To the guy who said nuclear bombs - as Einstein said;

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

I personally agree with that 100%. However, I can see also the deterrent they pose to everyone. But all it takes it someone to go too far and it's over.
It's not logistically possible to have a world war with just sticks and stones.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6783|USA

Smithereener wrote:

I have searched and the only remotely similar one I found was the greatest invention of the 20th century, which happened to be in the Junk Drawer.

Besides the obvious like, the wheel, what have been the greatest inventions/discoveries ever? what inventions/discoveries have benefited humanity the most? If possible, some kind of explaination as to why it is the best would be nice.

I think the greatest discovery has to be sanitation with Joseph Lister, which Pasteur kind of helped discover with his experiments that boiling broth killed microorganisms inside. Bad hygiene and lack of sanitation in early cities (throwing crap out of the window) contributed to the rampant spread of diseases; without discovering that having clean facilities and sterilized needles, who knows how many more lives would have been lost in history.

I'm curious as to what other people think.

Edit: Let's try asking what inventions have benefited humanity the most.
guns:

Like them or not there is no denying they gotta be the single greatest influential invention of human history.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6687

lowing wrote:

guns:

Like them or not there is no denying they gotta be the single greatest influential invention of human history.
They're just one rung on a ladder starting with fists, sticks and stones and ending with the fusion bomb and beyond. I wouldn't single them out as a 'great' or pivotal invention.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2010-01-11 15:09:46)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6783|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

guns:

They're just one rung on a ladder starting with fists, sticks and stones and ending with the fusion bomb and beyond. I wouldn't single them out as a 'great' or pivotal invention.
I am in no way insinuating a positive invention, but none stand out as a greater influential invention in human history, less the fuckin' wheel I suppose. If you wanna replace weapons for guns OK, but sticks and stnes and fists were not inventions.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6422|Éire

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

guns:

I am in no way insinuating a positive invention, but none stand out as a greater influential invention in human history, less the fuckin' wheel I suppose. If you wanna replace weapons for guns OK, but sticks and stnes and fists were not inventions.
The point is that the gun is just one of a long line of inventions that have fulfilled the same purpose. If guns were top of the pecking order than Hiroshima and Nagasaki wouldn't have been such significant events. Nuclear bomb has been far more significant, it's what keeps countries like the US and Russia top of the food pyramid.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard