Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Everything from Galt getting zapped on is a wordy "and they lived happily ever after".
I actually skipped his entire radio speech and read a summary of it instead. It was just summing up what she'd said fifty previous times in the book already.

The d'Anconia speech about money is fantastic though and made the book worth reading.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Iconic Irony
Bare Back Rough Rider
+189|5276|San Angelo, TX
Recommend: Dirty Jokes and Beer for the Unrefined by Drew Carrey

This collection of dirty jokes, short fiction, and autobiographical tidbits will please some readers and offend others. Carey, a stand-up comic and star of his own TV show, writes mostly about sex, drinking, gambling, football, and television. Some of his favorite topics seem to be his "big dick" jokes and four letter words.

My dick is so big that when I cum, clowns jump out of it.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
https://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb139/winterkiss42/DSCF2474.jpg

Currently finishing up "In Fed We Trust" by David Wessel of the Wall Street Journal
Will write a review and then on to "End The Fed" by Congressman Ron Paul.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Iraq Confidential - Scott Ritter
Lays bare the issues surrounding Iraqs WMDs.

The agenda was regime change, WMD were a side issue, sanctions would have continued even if Iraq could have shown it had no WMDs or WMD programs.
The CIA continued believing their intel, although it was shown to be wrong over and over.
The US govt and the CIA manipulated the UN and UNSCOM for their own ends.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6253|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27
The Last Fighting Tommy by Harry Patch.

He was the last fighting British soldier in the trench attrition of the 1st world war. His life all the way through in his own words. He was a remarkable man and the book is riveting. I would very much recommend it to anyone interested in any theater of operations and conflicts.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6660|The darkside of Denver
Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by John Krakauer
seems good so far, just started it.  Also Galt let me know how Dr. Paul's new book is

** the current book I'm reading goes into the history of the Afghani people on a superficial level, anyone here know any good books about the tribalism and culture of Afghanistan?  I find myself fascinated by this country and want to learn more.

Just ordered these:

Descent into Chaos: The U.S. and the Disaster in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Central Asia - Ahmed Rashid

Afghanistan: A Military History from Alexander the Great to the War against the Taliban

Last edited by SonderKommando (2010-01-08 07:32:44)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6555
Just finished 'Atlas Shrugged' and 'Of Mice And Men'. Next: 'To Kill A Mocking Bird'.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6660|The darkside of Denver
To kill a mocking bird is classic
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
Howard Zinn's dead
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

Howard Zinn's dead
Can't say I'm disappointed.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

JohnG@lt wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Howard Zinn's dead
Ever read one of his books?  Know his story?  He was a bombardier in WW2, played a significant role in the civil rights movement, respected professor.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Howard Zinn's dead
Ever read one of his books?  Know his story?  He was a bombardier in WW2, played a significant role in the civil rights movement, respected professor.
He attempted to rewrite history and instigate class and racial warfare. Nothing more needs to be said about him.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
how did he rewrite history?  As far as I know everything he wrote was true.
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

how did he rewrite history?  As far as I know everything he wrote was true.
Writing in the Washington Post Book World, reviewer Michael Kammen, a professor of American History at Cornell, wrote: "I wish that I could pronounce Zinn's book a great success, but it is not. It is a synthesis of the radical and revisionist historiography of the past decade. . . Not only does the book read like a scissors and paste-pot job, but even less attractive, so much attention to historians, historiography and historical polemic leaves precious little space for the substance of history. . . . We do deserve a people's history; but not a singleminded, simpleminded history, too often of fools, knaves and Robin Hoods. We need a judicious people's history because the people are entitled to have their history whole; not just those parts that will anger or embarrass them. . . . If that is asking for the moon, then we will cheerfully settle for balanced history."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_People%2 … ted_States
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
Ive read the book.  He's not making anything up.  Its not like thats my only source of history.  As far as Im concerned, multiple perspectives make understanding the past all the more better. 

I actually tore the front cover of it accidentally yesterday when I picked it up.

Last edited by eleven bravo (2010-01-29 10:12:44)

Tu Stultus Es
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

JohnG@lt wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

He attempted to rewrite history and instigate class and racial warfare. Nothing more needs to be said about him.
How did he 'attempt' to rewrite history?  Have you read 'A People's History?  It's not a retelling - he says as much in the book itself - it's an alternative view from 'the people' as opposed to 'the establishment'.  I guess the history books I read in school was how it really went down.  All that fluff about native massacres and stuff must have just been a figment of the author's imagination and didn't really happen because well, it wasn't really covered in the Houghton Mifflin US history books I read.

Instigate class and racial warfare?  Are you serious?  He was a member of the SNCC - against racism and for civil rights.  You obviously either don't know what you are talking about or you are trolling.

Have you read any of his books John, or are you just going off what other people said?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

How did he 'attempt' to rewrite history?  Have you read 'A People's History?  It's not a retelling - he says as much in the book itself - it's an alternative view from 'the people' as opposed to 'the establishment'.  I guess the history books I read in school was how it really went down.  All that fluff about native massacres and stuff must have just been a figment of the author's imagination and didn't really happen because well, it wasn't really covered in the Houghton Mifflin US history books I read.

Instigate class and racial warfare?  Are you serious?  He was a member of the SNCC - against racism and for civil rights.  You obviously either don't know what you are talking about or you are trolling.

Oh I get it John, a book reviewer in the Washington Post said he was rewriting history.  I should have pegged you as one of those people who just casually agree with what other people say.  My bad.
No, I could casually pick up a high school history text book and point out hundreds of inaccuracies that slant the book towards a nationalistic history. I fully recognize that much of what is taught to kids is highly slanted in one direction. However, Zinn goes the entirely opposite direction. It's like two wing nuts going back and forth. Who wants to deal with that?

As with all things, moderation is key and I prefer my history books to be balanced, on the dry side, and filled with facts, not opinions.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
granted there are many opinions in the book but the majority of what is written are first hand accounts from events from people that have always been considered marginalized members of society.  As long as the man is not fabricating anything, theres nothing wrong with reading opinions outside of the mainstream.

Last edited by eleven bravo (2010-01-29 10:22:52)

Tu Stultus Es
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

So you have or haven't read his book?  How is he instigating racial and class warfare?

'Going the opposite direction' would mean that you view 'standard' history books as equally skewed, no?  Where's the insipid hatred for those?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
I mean I could find things in the book I didnt agree with.  I usually do with all books I read on history.
Tu Stultus Es
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

So you have or haven't read his book?
It sounds interesting. It's on my want list now.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom

Kmarion wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

So you have or haven't read his book?
It sounds interesting. It's on my want list now.
Its a good book.  Very easy read.  Keep in mind though it has a very left slant.
Tu Stultus Es
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

eleven bravo wrote:

I mean I could find things in the book I didnt agree with.  I usually do with all books I read on history.
Have you read "What Hath God Wrought"? The Oxford History series is pretty good.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

So you have or haven't read his book?  How is he instigating racial and class warfare?
I haven't read it. Would honestly never have any desire to do so. From the opinions of those that have read it, which includes many of my friends, it's basically an anti-white textbook designed to make white people feel bad about themselves and their government for what it's done in the past.

Frankly, I don't give a rats ass. I never owned a slave, I never forced a black man to go to the back of the bus, I never stole land from a Native American. I've got nothing to feel ashamed of. So why on earth would I ever want to read his drivel?
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

@GS: Of course.  I'm not saying it's the bible to live your life by, I'm just trying to find out why John hates the guy so much.  Seems like he doesn't know what he's talking about, just regurgitating what other critics say.

Hey John - maybe you should give it a read instead of relying on what other people say.  You know, so you can have an opinion about it that actually means something as opposed to railing against something (and someone) you obviously don't have a clue about.  Informed opinions are better than ignorant ones.

PS - I don't believe you have friends.  You and I both know there's no room in that stone-cold pea-sized heart of your for compassion

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard