13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

Uzique wrote:

looking forward to avatar.
i await on your review of the film. i know 3d is a component, not the main point of, this film. i have no depth perception, as a matter of fact i have only one eye. i still can enjoy a good film though, and someone said the 3d aspect of this movie was subtle . . .
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya

burnzz wrote:

Uzique wrote:

looking forward to avatar.
i await on your review of the film. i know 3d is a component, not the main point of, this film. i have no depth perception, as a matter of fact i have only one eye. i still can enjoy a good film though, and someone said the 3d aspect of this movie was subtle . . .
In a movie full of blue aliens and marines I doubt anything is overly subtle
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5932|Somewhere out in Space
In b4 during we try to see it more than anyone on BF2S.  Must have pics of tickets.

Last edited by N00bkilla55404 (2009-12-20 22:14:11)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6655

Going to see it tomorrow in IMAX. This movie looks so stupid and I'm thinking it's gonna suck, but I need to go into this with a summer movie mindset. I saw a trailer of it in 3d on a fucking ginormous [holy shit spellcheck is telling me that ginormous is an actual word] plasma 3d tv. Looked
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6538|Long Island, New York

Uzique wrote:

3d has come a long way... give it a chance.

i saw Up in 3d recently and the technology was great. film was simple fun, too. looking forward to avatar.
Indeed it has... this isn't the "Honey I Shrunk The Audience" 3D from Disney World anymore.

It's good too because Cameron doesn't go overboard with it. It's enough to make you feel immersed in the experience, but they don't go overboard with pop out scenes so that the people seeing it normally will miss out on that experience.

Miggle wrote:

I'd like to know what movies/games Poseidon hasn't enjoyed.
System Shock 2. Shit sucks.

You're just mad because people actually appreciate my opinions.

Last edited by Poseidon (2009-12-21 07:32:09)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

How are the battle scenes Poseidon?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

M.O.A.B wrote:

How are the battle scenes Poseidon?
Absolutely amazing, and I mean that in every sense of the word. Especially the whole last 30-45 minutes.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
The destruction of Hometree and the part with the big flying motherfuckers attacking the choppers/the generals... so awesome in 3D.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

I thought the movie was pretty solid.  I'd give it about a 7.5 to 8 out of 10.  I thought the CGI looked great, very crisp and clean while maintaining a less 'sterilized' or polished approach to it.  The characters and environment really looked organic, and the colors and textures of all the different elements of both Pandora and the human vehicles looked amazing, especially the night scenes on Pandora.

I thought the plot was a little underdeveloped.  I thought they spent a little too much time on Jakesully's initiation/trials and tribulations into the Na'vi tribe and glazed over the purpose of humans on Pandora and value of mining of unobtainium - it seemed almost like this was an idea that didn't get much consideration, just a simple ploy to get the idea of the plot across.  Where was the backstory on the destruction/desecration of Earth?  Speaking of which, after all the creativity poured into this movie the best name they can come up with for the futuristic version of diamonds is something as generic as the secret super rare element known as...."unobtainium".  I also think a little of the plot was compromised due to the movie being rated 'PG-13' as opposed to 'R'.  Could have been more bloodshed, less simple gimmicky lines/actions.

The battle scenes were pretty good.  A little too drawn out for me, but exciting nonetheless.  It seemed like the final 30 minutes or so were developed with the idea of 'epic battle sequence' in mind but I don't think they quite pulled it off to the degree of something like 'Braveheart', despite some decent plot twists and exciting inter-species battles. There were also some interesting developments in the movie that I didn't really see coming.  I like when the plot develops in ways that throw you for a curve.  Bonus points to the story writers for developing a movie that didn't have strictly a linear story line.

If this were a regular run-of-the-mill live action summer blockbuster type it would probably be a generic 7/10 entertaining movie.  The CGI and visual effects bump it up a notch to something very worthy of the $15 or whatever it costs to see a movie nowadays.  The feel-good message of "Save the Earth, don't shit where you eat" is an afterthought.  I definitely agreed with the idea that it should be a minimal underlying theme, not a constant reminder expounded on and extolled at every available chance.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6192|Roma

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Speaking of which, after all the creativity poured into this movie the best name they can come up with for the futuristic version of diamonds is something as generic as the secret super rare element known as...."unobtainium".
It took me too long to realize how to pronounce that.
I was trying une-ob-tainium..

/facepalm
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Where was the backstory on the destruction/desecration of Earth?
Cameron has said in the past that if it's successful, 2 sequels are planned.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Poseidon wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

So would that be prequel or sequel?  I think it's a cop-out story-wise to rely on another movie to develop the plot that the first one didn't expound on.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

So would that be prequel or sequel?  I think it's a cop-out story-wise to rely on another movie to develop the plot that the first one didn't expound on.
It was already 2 hrs 45 minutes long... to go into how Earth's resources were destroyed would probably end up making it over 3 hours long, and I don't think they'd do that.
pilebomb
+8|6120

Poseidon wrote:

It was already 2 hrs 45 minutes long... to go into how Earth's resources were destroyed would probably end up making it over 3 hours long, and I don't think they'd do that.
Understandable but....

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I thought they spent a little too much time on Jakesully's initiation/trials and tribulations into the Na'vi tribe and glazed over the purpose of humans on Pandora and value of mining of unobtainium
Seriously could have cut some of the "learning to be a blue guy" crap and added some back story. Personally, I thought it was an OK movie, 7/10 but I would have liked if it had gone another direction. Would have been more interesting if the Native Americ.... I mean Na'vi got decimated. Now THAT would have been a plot twist. But then this would be hard...

Poseidon wrote:

blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6646

Poseidon wrote:

Hooooooooooooly shit.

Just saw it (in IMAX, like I said) and it is quite easily THE BEST movie of 2009. I didn't think anything would beat Watchmen or Inglourious Basterds but goddamn this just takes the cake and shoves it down it's throat. Everything about it was just amazing. Amazing story, breathtaking visuals, incredible character development, not a dull moment in the whole damn movie. I had my doubts about it when I first saw the preview but holy shit James Cameron has quite possibly pulled off one of his best.

I think it's even more amazing that people thought it was just as incredible as I did seeing it normally. At this point I can't imagine seeing it non-IMAX/3D.

10/10, wholeheartedly.
damn it now I'm gonna have to see it since u said its the best movie of 2009 lol
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5474|Ventura, California
So basically in this movie the humans are evil greedy money loving scientists backed by Marines and instead of asking to dig there they send in the military?
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

-Sh1fty- wrote:

So basically in this movie the humans are evil greedy money loving scientists backed by Marines and instead of asking to dig there they send in the military?
I heard they were sort of ex-military/marines, although I haven't seen it. But yeah the idea is that the humans want to mine the planet (effectively ruining it) for the mineral.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6740|Toronto | Canada

M.O.A.B wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I heard they were sort of ex-military/marines, although I haven't seen it. But yeah the idea is that the humans want to mine the planet (effectively ruining it) for the mineral.
The ex-marines (private militia) want to mine the planet for the minerals and the scientists want to save the planet (in a way) by getting to know the people there and getting them to move instead of getting wiped out
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6579|Columbus, OH

-Sh1fty- wrote:

A corporation found a large deposit of mineral under the aliens village. The foreman (not sure what he is called) has two groups on Pandora: a group of  scientists who trying to understand the natives to help persuade them to relocate; the 2nd group is the hired guns (ex-military) ready to use force and for protection since the aliens are known to attack people and equipment. The scientist are not making progress (not sure for how long) and the foreman is reluctant to use force but he implies the stock holders want immediate results.

Last edited by loubot (2009-12-21 12:35:01)

Benzin
+576|5999
Actually, they were not ex-soldiers. They were all actual soldiers. Jake talks about in the beginning: On Earth they had something to fight for, here they're nothing more than mercenaries - guns for hire.

That was a paraphrase, but you get the gist. The scientists are studying the planet and how the entire planet is essentially one giant symbiotic ecosystem. Then they were tasked with trying to diplomatically get the Na'Vi to move.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6740|Toronto | Canada

CapnNismo wrote:

Actually, they were not ex-soldiers. They were all actual soldiers. Jake talks about in the beginning: On Earth they had something to fight for, here they're nothing more than mercenaries - guns for hire.

That was a paraphrase, but you get the gist. The scientists are studying the planet and how the entire planet is essentially one giant symbiotic ecosystem. Then they were tasked with trying to diplomatically get the Na'Vi to move.
Sounds like mercenaries to me...  Also, they were working for a private company, wouldnt that make them mercenaries?
Benzin
+576|5999
Ya, they were essentially mercenaries, but they all still had military commissions ... why the fuck am I debating this? Fucking grass.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6579|Columbus, OH

CapnNismo wrote:

Ya, they were essentially mercenaries, but they all still had military commissions ... why the fuck am I debating this? Fucking grass.
The accuracy of the storyline yo
The background  story line was luke-warm because some things are implied. I guess the economy collapsed and the inflation has sky-rocketed. The govt. loaned these soliders out???? maybe??? i dunno

The protagonist was there because his twin brother (scientist) was killed. The corporation needed the protagionist because he had similar neurons/brain wave crap like his brother. This was essential to upload into the avatar brain. The Antagionst expoilted the Protagionist military background and promised a new set of legs if he gives him what he needs to mount an offensive against the aliens.
Benzin
+576|5999
Pretty sure they were twins...
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6743|FUCK UBISOFT

Poseidon wrote:

Uzique wrote:

i saw Up in 3d recently and the technology was great. film was simple fun, too. looking forward to avatar.
Indeed it has... this isn't the "Honey I Shrunk The Audience" 3D from Disney World anymore.

It's good too because Cameron doesn't go overboard with it. It's enough to make you feel immersed in the experience, but they don't go overboard with pop out scenes so that the people seeing it normally will miss out on that experience.

Miggle wrote:

No, once again, I'd like to hear more about your opinions. I continue to ask simple questions and get flaming answers.

I suggest you hold off judgement on the game that inspired your favourite, until you at least play it.

What movies/games have you disliked?
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Miggle wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Miggle wrote:

No, once again, I'd like to hear more about your opinions. I continue to ask simple questions and get flaming answers.

I suggest you hold off judgement on the game that inspired your favourite, until you at least play it.

What movies/games have you disliked?
So because unlike you, I'm not in a trollish mood 99.9% of the time and don't bash the things I don't like and instead rave about the things I DO like, you're trying to write me off?

Haha, Miggle fails again.

Last edited by Poseidon (2009-12-21 13:51:40)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard