Mafia47
+27|6762|Chicago
I just recently bought a new computer:

i7-960 3.2 GHZ
12 GB ram
ATI 5870 PCI-E
850 watt power supply
Running under windows 7

Now, my problem is that when I first plugged in my computer, I noticed there were blue and green "artifacts" appearing on my monitor along with, only sometimes though, black lines running across too. Also they move around depending on what window / program is open and their not static in there location.

Now my first reaction to this was that my monitor was going bad or that my drivers were just never updated. First of all, my video drivers were updated, but just to be sure, I uninstalled them and reinstalled them from the disk I was provided with and from Radeon's site, still no change. I also plugged my computer into my dad's HD-TV. I plugged it into both the HDMI port and both DVI ports, still no change.

I then checked to see if the company I purchased the computer from overclocked the card and it was perhaps overheating. It was running at factory settings (I'm fairly sure it was) and it was running at 32 degrees celsius, the rest of the computer is running around 24 c, and it is a well ventilated computer with plenty of fans and cooling so I really don't think overheating / overworking is the problem.

This leads me to think that the card is bad? But I'm not really sure. . .I purchased this computer from cyberpower PC (little sketchy but my last 2 computers from them worked perfectly fine) I'm going to call them on monday but I already know they'll tell me to send it back in which I don't want to do unless I have to. . .

Does anyone else have anyother suggestions of things to try or look into? Thanks in advance for anyones help!
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6210|Canada

Check temps, maybe you're not getting enough airflow in the case.

Also possible the video card could be defective.

Edit: Also check connections on the video card, maybe it's not getting the power it's supposed to have?

Last edited by Phatmatt (2009-12-19 11:08:58)

Mafia47
+27|6762|Chicago
I'll check those, but to me, I don't understand why I would just be getting mainly "tiny green dots" all over the place if it was a power problem, wouldn't it be more visible? But I will check that thanks!
Mafia47
+27|6762|Chicago
I've tried everything I could think of, even swapping the graphics card into another spot on the motherboard, same result.

I then tried installing a game (crysis) and running the game to see if the artifacts would be intensified, which actually, they disappeared entirely and it ran perfectly fine at very high settings with no errors or artifacts or crashes etc.

I went back to my desktop to see that the artifacting I was seeing before had disappeared, only to reappear though about 5-10 min. later (probably less time than that)

Anyone know if this could just be a 5870 graphics card problem or driver problem or some compatibility issues with windows 7?
alexb
<3
+590|5961|Kentucky, USA

It's not a compatibility issue with Windows 7.

Have you tried booting into safe mode and checking to see if the artifacts still appear?
Mafia47
+27|6762|Chicago
Yeah I booted in safe mode and I didn't notice any artifacting (although it can be fairly minimal at times all it really is, is green dots on my screen) But that lead me to think that it's a driver issue? But I'm not sure where to go to find a downgrade driver for my card
alexb
<3
+590|5961|Kentucky, USA

Install Driver Sweeper - http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Boot into safe mode, uninstall the drivers with the ATI uninstaller that's provided in the add/remove programs. Reboot into safe mode again, and run Driver Sweeper, then reboot into normal Windows, and re-download the latest drivers and install them, and let me know what happens.

I'm starting to lean towards the fact that the video card may be defective. Try plugging in another monitor into your computer, and see if the artifacts show. If they don't, it's your monitor.
Mafia47
+27|6762|Chicago
I've tried another monitor already but I'll try using the driver sweeper (That's one thing I haven't tried yet)
alexb
<3
+590|5961|Kentucky, USA

Mafia47 wrote:

I've tried another monitor already but I'll try using the driver sweeper (That's one thing I haven't tried yet)
So the artifacts did show on the other monitor? Go ahead and follow the instructions I provided in my previous post, and let me know what happens.

Best of luck.
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6210|Canada

Could always try another video card if you happen to have another one and/or try this one in another pc.
Mafia47
+27|6762|Chicago

alexb wrote:

Boot into safe mode, uninstall the drivers with the ATI uninstaller that's provided in the add/remove programs. Reboot into safe mode again, and run Driver Sweeper, then reboot into normal Windows, and re-download the latest drivers and install them, and let me know what happens.

I'm starting to lean towards the fact that the video card may be defective. Try plugging in another monitor into your computer, and see if the artifacts show. If they don't, it's your monitor.
After trying all of this, I got the same results. But, when I had no drivers installed, I noticed no artifacting, so it makes me wonder if the newer drivers radeon has for this card are just bad or if it is still the card.

Anyone know where I can find some old drivers to this card (I'm not sure how many they've released for this though) But I figure it would be worth a try.
alexb
<3
+590|5961|Kentucky, USA

Mafia47 wrote:

alexb wrote:

After trying all of this, I got the same results. But, when I had no drivers installed, I noticed no artifacting, so it makes me wonder if the newer drivers radeon has for this card are just bad or if it is still the card.

Anyone know where I can find some old drivers to this card (I'm not sure how many they've released for this though) But I figure it would be worth a try.
Try this:

http://filehippo.com/download/file/2d5d … 8226c5100/
Mafia47
+27|6762|Chicago
After uninstalling my drivers and installing the drivers from that link, it runs just like I have no drivers installed at all. . .BTW thanks for your help
alexb
<3
+590|5961|Kentucky, USA

Mafia47 wrote:

After uninstalling my drivers and installing the drivers from that link, it runs just like I have no drivers installed at all. . .BTW thanks for your help
Sorry.

You could try calling the support service and find out if it's a widespread issue or not... it could still be that the GPU is a bit wonky.
Mafia47
+27|6762|Chicago
I read over at the AMD forums that their seems to be a lot of issues with the new driver update and with some of the 5870 cards as well as some of the 5000 series cards. . .A lot of people have been talking about more widespread issues than what mine is doing (more visible artifacting, crashing, freezing etc) So I'm not sure if sending in the card just to get a new one will solve anything if it is a driver issue? But I don't want to really risk it if it is my card.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6588|NYC / Hamburg

If your card is artifacting in safe mode and bios, it's definitely a GPU issue
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Mafia47
+27|6762|Chicago
The thing is though, it's not artifacting at all while booting up or in bios and while in safe mode (as well as when I uninstalled the drivers) it ran without artifacts.

Also I just ran crysis for about an hour with no issues what so ever . . .could it possibly be the 2d processor on the card or the drivers?
alexb
<3
+590|5961|Kentucky, USA

Try these drivers, it's a re-released version of 9.12 drivers.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-Catalys … -2450.html
Mafia47
+27|6762|Chicago
I'm fairly sure I tried that already but i'll give it another try.
alexb
<3
+590|5961|Kentucky, USA

Mafia47 wrote:

I'm fairly sure I tried that already but i'll give it another try.
So did it work or not?
Mafia47
+27|6762|Chicago
No it didn't. I sent in for a replacement card so we'll see if that fixes the problem cause it could be my motherboard too (i doubt it though)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard