ColonelGSS
+0|6843
First off I would like to ask what is the purpose of the punish system, how does it effect you if someone punishes you? If there is no effect then there is no problem to be fixed which means that the punish system would have no value and be pointless. Ergo it should be taken out of the game completely. (This is not my main suggestion)

The punish system obviously does something but I didn't figure out what yet.... Anyways my main suggestion is that if you teamkill a person they should not have the option right away to punish you. How about after you teamkill the same person more than once they get the option to punish you or not. This would make the system a lot more fair because it would be more accurate and people don't usually tk the same person twice.
cyrio
+0|6843
how does it effect you if someone punishes you?
Point-wise, it doesn't. But some servers have an auto-kicking system that will you disconnect you from the server after you get punished a certain number of times.
Sgt_Zki
It does punish you.  You loose 4 points for your team work score.  That's why people get upset when you punish for accidental TK (i.e. someone jumping out of your vehicle while your still driving, and getting killed).

I think at the very least, change the punishment to -2 vs -4.
dax_for_bax
no the system has always been there, its just never been a problem before because noobs who dont know when to punish correctly didnt know how to punish. and also this $#%# system now auto punishes if they dont page up!. before you had to go into console and type commands thats how it should be, so you only do it when you really have to. and when you know what your doing.
now there are people constantly trying to get tk'd just so that they can punish as many people as they can. i want to @$%@ kill those people. they didnt exist before and the whole idea is one big #$%#$ up. it wrecks the game!
benne
+0|6842|Minnesota
i think that a punish screen shouldn't prompt after a TK, if they really want to punish, make it easier than for the noobs to hit page down...have  a menu in the kit selection or tab or something...
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6845|Waikato, Aotearoa
hey Dax i agree with you. I think that the game should boot/ban those players who PUNISH for excessive TK'ing, rather than boot/ban players who TK all the time (if wot i said makes sense).
EG you punish TK'ers for your own mistakes (or setup) then YOU get booted/banned
I rarely punish ppl, (cos generally its my own fault), and when it isnt my fault its more often than not an accident.
=|Q-BRT|=
+6|6845|[GER]_BERLIN
it defenetly affects my, not because of the -4 score but mostly because its most time there own fault. or worse the system doesnt work correct. specific: i shot an heli with an mg from a tank and it crushed into us, thou i got the points 4 killing him but also the tk cuz the explosion also kill me and my mate in the tank... mate punished me. arrrg, that realy pissed me of !! ]:-( stupidness thats what i'm piss of. so far...

suggestion: how about a not point related punishment? like u get negative votes on a new stats only a punishment-stats that shows how often u punished and got punished that much by XX tk done.... maybe server admins could decide on this stats if u r allowed to enter server yes or not or maybe as tryal. but note: could be more harmfull than just some lost score if u can't enter several servers because some %&$& punished u 4 there stupidness...

cheers
Q
cyrio
+0|6843
The punish system is far from perfect, but I think it's only a symptom of a deeper problem, which is the countless ridiculous ways you can teamkill people. If I shoot down someone because he surprised me, he punishes me, ok no problem, I screwed up. If I blow up a team mate while trying to destroy a tank, he punishes me, ok no problem, I screwed up. Etc. etc.
But
When some wreckage explodes 20 seconds after I destroyed a tank, and the explosions kills a team mate, I get a team kill. What? Sorry? then you get a punish because the guy didn't think about it too much. But it's only an after-effect, the whole thing shouldn't have happened.
Same thing for the blackhawk teamkills I explained in another post, you sometimes teamkill your whole crew because some kamikazi plane crashed on you. It's totally crazy...
You slightly (if not gently) push one of your team mates while making 5 mph maneuvers with an APC : Teamkill again... It should be fixed... team mates should get less damage from vehicles.
Choppers/plane : your co-pilot ejects. He would be safer player russian roulette. Maybe the devs wanted to put a 'risk factor' in I don't know, but the pilot shouldn't get a teamkill!
The list goes on...
matrixmaster
+0|6849|USA

cyrio wrote:

Point-wise, it doesn't. But some servers have an auto-kicking system that will you disconnect you from the server after you get punished a certain number of times.
This is true, but then that server and that server alone should keep track of the total teamkills for that server and not global.  They shouldn't need to keep teamkills globally.
matrixmaster
+0|6849|USA
And the really bad thing with TK punishing is if your commander and u announce an arty strike, some ppl either don't care or don't pay attention and if you get three, for example, teamkills, then thats -12 points to your score just because ppl are stupid. Hopefully, with this situation, the new patch will be a little smarter.
blue60007
+0|6846
I only punish when the TK was either intentional or they did something stupid (like drop artillery on a bunch of friendlies that were already there). Sometimes artillery tk's are the fault of the commander, and sometimes the fault of the team members. Like I've seen idiot commanders that will drop artillery to take out one or two enemies when there are a dozen friendlies under the artillery that can handle the two enemies on their own. I've seen cases where my team will lose the flag because our commander wipes out us instead of the enemy.
=|Q-BRT|=
+6|6845|[GER]_BERLIN
yea, thats true but on the other hand sometimes u cant use arty cuz some stupid sniper still sneaks around the flag while masses of enemies r going to take it...knowing u will get punish u just stand there seeing the flag be taken by them *grrr* many players dont know what time a flag is lost and the only chance to get it back is to fall back order arty and be at flag first

anyone noticed that the option 2 punish isn't showing up that often as b4 got shot bout 4 times this afternoon by flag capture from on guys...( no "sorry" )and no punish option.
blue60007
+0|6846
Sometimes if there is a kick / mutiny vote going on at the same time, the option to punish will be obscured.
[A-51]-.Bond
+1|6842
I think the punishment system has it's backfires, but once again, it all comes down to who you play with or against. I was playin Strike today and accidently ran over two people, One was lyin prone with a SAW and the other ran out in front of me. I immediately apologized and revived them.  Neither punished me because I first APOLOGIZED, and second I revived them and helped to take a flag they were capturing.  Its all about paying attention, common curtesy, and COMMON SENSE on the Artillery strikes, I hear the commander bitching about someone that got tk'ed in an artillery strike.  The only time I would punish for an artillery strike is if I was getting hit repeatedly.  Situation today with a guy named Gee. Orgie, this guy joined my squad then then started flyin choppers.  He then went and turned the chopper around, killed my teammate and fellow clan member, then went and killed me.  For no reason.  So I punished him, kicked him out of my squad, and put c4 on his chopper and blew his ass up after he switched teams.  Got my revenge .  Thats where punishing would be useful.  Just amounts up to stupidity between some stupid people who ruin it for everyone else.
-Strength Through Team Work-
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6843|Cologne, Germany

The punish system works fine as long as people use common sense when deciding wether to punish for a TK or not.
Most of the TK's in BF2 are accidental ( at least according to my observations ) and there is no need to punish for that. Won't help your team much , either.
I agree with Bond, it all depends on the guys you play with. Experienced players would know that they'd TK once in a while themselves and therefore not punish automatically.
But some kids cannot resist to punish for anything, even if their death was caused by their own staggering stupidity or lack of teamplay.

sure, there is the occasional intentional teamkiller, too, but no punish system in the world could handle those effectively, I guess. you'll just need admins watching properly over their servers.
sadly, even those that are run by clans rarely have an admin at hand if needed.
point4zero
+0|6839|North Carolina
I don't ever punish for a tk unless that person punishes me first. I know that two wrongs don't make a right, but I'm at a point where fair is fair. I'm tired of all of these pansies that do nothing BUT punish. They think that their skill is so far superior to everyone else's that they think accidental death in combat is highly unlikely and unacceptable for them and  therefore they punish EVERYTIME. It's easier for them to place the blame on someone else when they walk into your claymore or bunnyhop into your line of fire. One night as I was playing, I was in an APC going down the RIGHT side of the road giving two teammates room to run on the LEFT side. All of a sudden, the lead guy decides to cut right - right under my wheels! And he punishes me of course. The second teammate that was behind us fortunately saw it all unfold and backed me up when I confronted my "victim". If I get tk'ed by a vehicle while fighting in the street, I don't punish because first of all, it's the frickin street! It's going to happen at some time. There's a reason my mother told me not to play in the street. I've even made it a habit to look both ways before crossing the street. I also try to stay clear from the rear of vehicles - chances are your teammate won't see you there and will likely back over you. These scenarios true in reality so why do people all of a sudden get stupid when they log on?
NiteFever
+0|6840
ummm..... im not sure if you guys know how this works or not...

When you teamkill someone... you get -4 instantly no matter what.... if the person decides to punish... an ADDITION -1 is tacked on, for a TOTAL of -5... if they forgive you still get -4.... which is really stupid if you ask me...
Propeck
+0|6843
Thanks NiteFever, I was wondering exactly how that works.

I can't stand the TK system in the game.  It's worse for me now that I've been designated as my clans transport chopper pilot.  Last night right at the start of the round on Dragon Valley, I drove a fully loaded BH up to the first flag on the hill, backin up a Cobra's and two Hummer's attacking it.  I was coming in low and slow along the road, my gunners taking out the enemy in the trees with the Cobra was doing his business at the flag.  By the time I got to the flag, an F-35 comes in for his run.  He TK's me, but I wind up with the TK's for everyone in the chopper, and I think 1 infantryman that was on the ground underneath.  Multiple punishes, Instakick/ban.  Can't blame them though really, after all, while they knew it was a friendly plane that hit our chopper, they had no idea who the pilot of the plane was, or who their chopper pilot was (excepting for my clanmates of course).  They probably thought they were punishing the F-35 pilot, or they just didn't care either way.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6845|Bryan/College Station, TX
The Teamkill Punishment system is flawed. That is a given. It is needed but flawed. There a players out there who care nothing about killing fellow teammates just to do something they have planned. Or to steal vehicles they want. These are the players that should be punished. However as someone else said on this thread many of us acquire teamkills through either accidents or due to the stupidity or non-observation of others. When I get teamkilled and I know its my fault I always forgive. When I feel that there is no good reason I should have gotten killed then I punish. I expect the same respect from other players.

As for the negative points I believe they are a bit steep. Unfortunately there is nothing the AI can do to differentiate between accidental and on purpose teamkilling. And it can't even be figured out by repeated killing because I in all honestly have in fact teamkilled the same player more than once or twice. In a heavy firefight when people are spawning at the flag right next to your cover fire people will in fact run into your guns more than once. I don't know if that is from stupidity or if they get turned around and don't know where they are running.

But I do agree that -4 for a teamkill is a bit steep. I would like to see a -2 per Teamkill and a -1 for Team Damage. After being punished I could see adding a -1 or -2 onto that. At least that would give a maxium of -3 or 4 for a teamkill even with punishment. Obviously on some servers where Admins are online it would be nice to see repeat offenders maliciously teamkilling to be kicked and banned. But servers with admins on them and good ones at that are far and few between.

Until this gets sorted out all you can do is grit your teeth and bare with the idiots out there. Or if the server is just too stupid for you to handle then disconnect and go to another one. I do that quite often if I see the team has no hope of ever getting its act together. Usually when more than 75% of your team is Lonewolf. I play for Squad teamwork not a server filled with unique snowflakes wanting to prove themselves in some way.

Cheers.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6843|Cologne, Germany

really can't blame the server. how is he ( it.. ? ) supposed to know who is responsible for such a collision ? So he figures out a guilty party according to his routines and - wouldn't you know it - gets it wrong 95% of the time.

I really don't know on which information the server would jugde on this, but I believe it has something to do with the vehicle you're in, the number of people you were carrying and the speed you were at when the collision happened. It also seems that as a pilot or driver you always get punished when your passengers die because of a TK, regardless if you initiated the contact or not. But again, how is the server supposed to know ?

I have no idea how this problem could be addressed with the new patch. commons sense could be of help here, but that is not part of programming routines, I am afraid..
cavscout711
+0|6752
we need a punishment for admins that abuse there power of banning just because! if anyone knows how to go about this please contact me!
Cyjoki
Veni, Vidi, Vici
+0|6765|Nebraska, United States

cavscout711 wrote:

we need a punishment for admins that abuse there power of banning just because! if anyone knows how to go about this please contact me!
Actually, that is the right of the server admins. If you really want to do something contact the server owner and dicuss it with him. Usually the owner will only give admin to a group of close friends, so he will probably tell you to go fuck yourself. But maybe he will punish the person that is abusing their powers.

If they pay for it, they can do whatever they want. And NO amount of bitching will change that.

Money > Your feelings
RufusRex
+0|6755
The only time I have punished is when i was TK'd by a Tank Whore whist i was going for a tank ... I punished him big time ... The other times i get TKd it is usually an accident or me walking in front of a moving car or the like ... The pgup pgdn thing works in my opinion ... what doesnt work is the thought processes going through some smacktards heads.
RufusRex
+0|6755
the thing that pisses me off most though is fools driving through a friendly mine field.   In Mashtur on D we generally mine one entrance and C4 the other - that way there is a friendly escape route that we can trigger in the event of an enemy tank.  However you get dipsticks driving a tank over the mines and getting all precious about being team killed ...
M90Medic
Wiki Contributor
+2|6756|Medicland, sthlm

I second the post regarding friendly mines. If I lay down mines, I try to tell my team where they are, but of course, some moron will run through it. Same with claymores.

I say remove TK for friendly mines. Sure, make em kill the dumb bastard, but dont punish the guy who laid them. Mines are severely under-used in this game, and I think the risk of TK punishment is the main reason for this.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard