FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6679|Devon, England
So it's that time. I am quite a predicament, though. I just passed, so I'm a very new driver. The cheapest quote I have online is £1200, which is almost £1400 when I have to pay monthly.

A lot of people think this is ridiculous, such as a friend at work who was the same age as me and got his insurance for £160 off his dad's. I can't use my dad's as it's business insurance, or some bullshit like that and my mother doesn't drive.

I can pay for the £1200 one, I'd just really rather not. That's a fucking lot of money.

So anyone know of any ways I can get around this bitch of a price?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6610|London, England
I can't use my dad's as it's business insurance, or some bullshit like that and my mother doesn't drive.
Well then you're screwed. If you by any chance watched the recent Top Gear, the one last Sunday. They did a whole segment about this very thing. And even they came up with the conclusion that you're screwed unless you do it with your parents. That's how everyone does it, but they risk losing any no claims they have when you inevitably wrap your car around a tree

To get it as cheap as possible, get a car that's like 1.0 litre or something

By screwed I mean you have to pay alot

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-07-04 05:22:11)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6750

dont drive.  problem solved.
SamBo:D
Banned
+236|5486|England
I paid £1400, it's a bitch.

Your better off just paying that amount, go on your mum and dads insurance and your not getting any no claims bonus, which will make a big difference next year
FFLink
There is.

SamBo:D wrote:

I paid £1400, it's a bitch.

Your better off just paying that amount, go on your mum and dads insurance and your not getting any no claims bonus, which will make a big difference next year
Meh. Gotta be done, I guess.

I already have a car, 5 door Ford Fiesta 1.3. Not too bad.

Gah, this is gonna make the next year so painful...
Banned
+236|5486|England
Yep, hopefully you got/will get a wod of cash for your 18th

Go on confused or what ever you used, say you got your license this time last year, say you have 1 year NCB and see what it comes up as. Knocks about £700 off mine
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6610|London, England
Now the hard bit, clocking up 1 whole year of no claims. That's 365 days. That's 8,760 hours. That's alot of time for that tree to somehow find itself in the middle of your car. That tree you used to see everyday on the way to school. That big one just around the bend. It's going to be there calling for you
FFLink
There is.

SamBo:D wrote:

Yep, hopefully you got/will get a wod of cash for your 18th

Go on confused or what ever you used, say you got your license this time last year, say you have 1 year NCB and see what it comes up as. Knocks about £700 off mine
I'm 19.
Banned
+236|5486|England

Mekstizzle wrote:

Now the hard bit, clocking up 1 whole year of no claims. That's 365 days. That's 8,760 hours. That's alot of time for that tree to somehow find itself in the middle of your car. That tree you used to see everyday on the way to school. That big one just around the bend. It's going to be there calling for you
Mek, just because you suck doesn't mean everyone who is new to driving is going to crash their car you prick

Sorry FFLINK I presumed 17/18 with just taking your test etc

Last edited by SamBo:D (2009-07-04 06:05:37)

jsnipy
+3,276|6511|...

its all mathematics
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6457

Even the tree?
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6554|England

All of the price-comparison (MEERKAT!) sites are good, but both Tesco and Direct Line dont appear in them. I got a quote from both of them on my MR2 which was £500 cheaper than the cheapest of those on the price comparisons. I almost fell out of my seat.

(though that was a long time after I passed )

Check out those two companies, because they are more-often-than-not cheaper than the price-comparison sites, and have been for all of my cars since I passed.
bennisboy
+829|6635|Poundland
you wont find it any cheaper than what you've been quoted
hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
+84|6475|Newcastle Upon Tyne.
I found mine £600 cheaper on Egg.com. There was also a segment on GMTV this week on car insurance. check it out.
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6711|Eastern PA
£200 per annum for me here in the States.
SealXo
+309|6524
new driver, 600$ a year. mwahhaahaha
Nintendogamer
+72|6576|Chelmsford, UK
gonna revive this coz now its my turn to look for car insurance, cheapest i got was £1,500 but..... it dissapeared off the price comparison website today and new cheapest quote is £2,000. so any advice?
Jasp
Bongabilla
+171|6651|The Outer Circle
Catch the bus.

Or do pass-plus, do advanced driving, join the IAM, get a proper license (HGV/PCV)
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/11882/holteendersig2.jpghttps://forums.bf2s.com/img/avatars/11508.gif
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6486

jump on the next good quote you get.
get married.
go five years without an accident.
sell a kidney.
use public transportation.
package car insurance with home, flood, and multiple vehicle insurance.
buy term and not whole life.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6180|Roma
Apparently it's easier/cheaper for me to be second driver on my Mum's Audi A3 with a 1.8, than tax and insure a 1.3 Polo with me as first named driver.
Hi5!
Driven it for a year now, it's gonna be shit when I start to drive the Polo this year.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6514|South Florida

FFLink wrote:

So it's that time. I am quite a predicament, though. I just passed, so I'm a very new driver. The cheapest quote I have online is £1200, which is almost £1400 when I have to pay monthly.

A lot of people think this is ridiculous, such as a friend at work who was the same age as me and got his insurance for £160 off his dad's. I can't use my dad's as it's business insurance, or some bullshit like that and my mother doesn't drive.

I can pay for the £1200 one, I'd just really rather not. That's a fucking lot of money.

So anyone know of any ways I can get around this bitch of a price?
Dont get a quote online. I was reading quotes online and got numbers like $1500 per 6 months. When i went to a real live agent (State Farm) i got $900 per 6/mo.

And dont get any moving violations or your driving career will be ended for the next 3 years cause you will not be able to pay.
15 more years! 15 more years!
JahManRed
wank
+646|6616|IRELAND

Get the insurance in someone else name. Parent or something and be a named driver. The car will have to be registered in their name. Then when you have clocked up a few years get your own policy. It will save you money.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6566|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
Yikes! Your insurance cost alot

It cost me 372 per years to have insurance!...Ok its the most basic one but its not like if they would give me back a brand new '91 car if i'd crash mine. So im covered against like, running stupid people over.
baggs
+732|6193
Car insurance is a license to print money, i'm getting older, my car is older, i haven't claimed in over 9 years and still they try to push my premium up year on year. Yeah i pay about £280 quid per annum but still...

I expect to be rewarded for not making claims and being in the 'safer driver' category (above 25, below 65).
Iconic Irony
Bare Back Rough Rider
+189|5264|San Angelo, TX
You could switch to Geico and save up to 15% on your car insurance.

Which comes out to about 225 bucks.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard