Nintendogamer
+72|6558|Chelmsford, UK
got 7 minors!!!

now its time to look for a good first car,

i was thinking of a 1.1 litre peugot 106. seems like a good first car, seeing as insureance is going to drain my bank account.

any other suggestions or tips for when looking for a first car?
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

Congrats ... and anything Japanese, an old boring Corolla or similar is cheap to drive and the cost for upkeep is low ...

French cars are ... well ... rubish!
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6711|OctoLand
1st time?
I know fucking karate
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6590|Mhz

Congrats, I still remember passing mine (it wasn't all that long ago ) one of the best feelings ever, you did better than me too I got 9 minors.

What's your budget for a car? I'm guessing you want something below group 5 insurance, are you adverse to diesels? They're cheaper to run and high mileage ones are far more reliable than high mileage petrols so finding cheap ones is easier.

EDIT: and Varegg don't slate what you haven't used, my shitty French car is on 249k miles and still running like day one

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2009-12-08 03:03:58)

aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5724|Roma
GReat job.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6552|MANCHESTERRR
welcome to the roads! i passed about a month ago and crashed the same day! haha.
Nintendogamer
+72|6558|Chelmsford, UK

justice wrote:

1st time?
yep, i did have one booked in october but my old instructor broke his car (by putting the wrong petrol in it).
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6814|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Good job I've had mine for one and a half year now, passed all test flawlessly, needless to say that made an elitist douchebag when driving
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6602|Finland

Before Top Gear told me about it, I had no idea how shitty the deal is in the UK with insurance.
I need around tree fiddy.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6597|UK

DonFck wrote:

Before Top Gear told me about it, I had no idea how shitty the deal is in the UK with insurance.
Looking at like £1000.
Nintendogamer
+72|6558|Chelmsford, UK
i've got about £1,600 saved for a car, will be adding to the "car fund" soon, so will probly be more like £1,800 when it comes down to buying a car.
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6711|OctoLand
If you can afford it, some old banged up Mini Cooper could be a lot of fun to drive,and not too bad to insure, I think the really old models are 1 litre, modern day version is 1.6.
I know fucking karate
Nintendogamer
+72|6558|Chelmsford, UK

justice wrote:

If you can afford it, some old banged up Mini Cooper could be a lot of fun to drive,and not too bad to insure, I think the really old models are 1 litre, modern day version is 1.6.
yeah i would love one of those, i took my test in one of the modern day ones, quite a nice car but i dont like the accelerator on the new ones, its attaced to floor instead of on a stick like most cars.
Varegg
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

Eh ... most cars have the accelerator attached to the floor ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Shadow893
lel
+75|6663|England

Varegg wrote:

Congrats ... and anything Japanese, an old boring Corolla or similar is cheap to drive and the cost for upkeep is low ...

excuse me?? corollas are not boring i love mine
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6602|Finland

Varegg wrote:

Especially when attempting to go really fast. Badum-tsch!
Varegg
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

Shadow893 wrote:

Varegg wrote:

I have had two Corollas and yes they are boring ... but good reliable cars
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6602|Finland

Varegg wrote:

Shadow893 wrote:

Varegg wrote:

I have had two Corollas and yes they are boring ... but good reliable cars
Quite reliable, quite boring. And I drive an Astra, so I know boring.
baggs
+732|6175
yayyyy for uuuuu! well done

I do hope you're lubed and ready for your insurance premium.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6814|Reykjavík, Iceland.

Varegg wrote:

All cars I've drive are like this
https://vtluu.net/images/pedals.jpg

Only touches the floor if floored.
Benzin
+576|5969
Buy anything Japanese. Reliable, cheap to repair, cheap to maintain, cheap on insurance. Just pick a Japanese car that fits your budget. Honda, Nissan or Toyota.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6602|Finland

CapnNismo wrote:

Buy anything Japanese. Reliable, cheap to repair, cheap to maintain, cheap on insurance. Just pick a Japanese car that fits your budget. Honda, Nissan or Toyota.
Your nick suggests bias.
Benzin
+576|5969
Just a touch, perhaps. But shit, that's what I did when I got my first car - Nissan 240sx. Probably not the cheapest car for you in the UK, but I got mine for $500 and fixed it up for less than $1500. Runs like a champ!

But any Japanese car will suit you just fine. Maybe even buy a minitruck.
SamBo
Blackburn Rovers Fan
+102|5294|Stoke, England
Got a Corsa, '99, 1.2lt, that comes to £1400 on insurance, I alos learnt in a corsa so it's a great choice for me.

Just keep looking around and check the exact insurance before you buy, eg my '99 corsa is £1.4k a 2000 is like a few hudered quid more.

Well played btw, only douche wagons don't pass first time
baggs
+732|6175

SamBo wrote:

Well played btw, only douche wagons don't pass first time
What happens if it took you no less than eight attempts to pass? What do you call them?

(not me btw)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard