Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black

Miggle wrote:

Finray wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

How did the PS3 and 360 change casual gaming?  The casual gamer has always been there, same as the serious gamer.  The difference is that more people are playing games period.  The older generation that grew up on Intellivision, Atari and NES are the core of the casual gamer population.
Let me do you a graph.

http://static.bf2s.com/files/user/33829/kengraph.png
source?
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Miggle wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Finray wrote:

Ach, I didn't really follow it. Wasn't there up to like 13 on the PS2?

The point I was making is that since the XBox 360/PS3 were released, casual gaming became available - and cheap. Mass market, more buying power, devs turn to pleasing the casual gamer, not someone who actually wants, I dunno, a good game.
How did the PS3 and 360 change casual gaming?  The casual gamer has always been there, same as the serious gamer.  The difference is that more people are playing games period.  The older generation that grew up on Intellivision, Atari and NES are the core of the casual gamer population.
they made local multiplayer a lot rarer and added a generally shit online service.
The first video games were casual games.  "Serious games" is the niche market, not the other way around - and it's always been that way.  The x360 and PS3 made casual gaming more accessible through use of online services.  For consoles, hardcore gaming is done LAN.  Online service made it easier for the casual gamer. 

Not sure where or why this new-found rage at the downfall of "serious gamer/games" has been so prevalent as of late.  There have been good games and shitty games since video games were invented.  There still are great games that draw a competitive crowd - look at active Warcraft ladders, WOW, Starcraft, etc.  Perhaps you guys are holding out for something that isn't going to happen.

Casual game =/= shitty game.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Miggle wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

they made local multiplayer a lot rarer and added a generally shit online service.
The first video games were casual games.  "Serious games" is the niche market, not the other way around - and it's always been that way.  The x360 and PS3 made casual gaming more accessible through use of online services.  For consoles, hardcore gaming is done LAN.  Online service made it easier for the casual gamer. 

Not sure where or why this new-found rage at the downfall of "serious gamer/games" has been so prevalent as of late.  There have been good games and shitty games since video games were invented.  There still are great games that draw a competitive crowd - look at active Warcraft ladders, WOW, Starcraft, etc.  Perhaps you guys are holding out for something that isn't going to happen.

'zactly
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6712|FUCK UBISOFT

Finray wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Finray wrote:

Let me do you a graph.

http://static.bf2s.com/files/user/33829/kengraph.png
source?
you're going to have to do better than that. Anybody can make a chart.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44874/chart.bmp
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Indeed, a casual game does infact not mean a shitty game.

But

Casual game = shitty game for people who want a hardcore game.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6712|FUCK UBISOFT

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Miggle wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

That's Finray's argument, not mine. Consoles have been and should be mainly for casual games, yes. To a degree they still are, but as the current generation of consoles have come out, the things that made them good have disappeared and been replaced by mediocre substitutes. That's all on the console end. On the PC end, Devs have been making shooters primarily on the 360, which is one of the least capable machines available, with one of the least capable audiences available. Why does this matter? Because it means that PC games have become largely ported console games.

I'm not a competitive gamer, I find that playing competitively often takes most of the fun out of games for me. That doesn't mean I want dumbed down games that have sacrificed quality for advertisement. The industry on all sides was better when consoles and PCs were seperated completely, with ports failing miserably.

"But Miggle, you sound like Finray, not citing any examples" Well, I have a few up my sleeve.

I currently own both the PC and Gamecube versions of 007 Nightfire. Why? Because they're completely different games. PC nightfire has a much  more difficult and complex singleplayer campaign and runs the Q3 engine. It also has a mediocre online multiplayer mode. Gamecube Nightfire has a fun, quick, easy singleplayer, as well as a wonderful splitscreen multiplayer for hours of playtime with friends.

But wait, there's more. I also own Burnout Revenge for PS2 and Burnout Paradise for PS3. Burnout revenge may lack some of Burnout Paradise's depth of singleplayer gameplay, but it wasily makes up for it in its vast selection of local multiplayer modes. Paradise shipped without local multiplayer, and offered a $10 DLC for an incredibly thin pass the controller game.

Consoles should still be the platform of cheap, casual, splitscreen games. PCs should still be the platform of Deep singleplayer and Online Multiplayer games. But as it is, they're both just the platform of shit games.
SamBo
Blackburn Rovers Fan
+102|5293|Stoke, England
I heard Final Fantay 8 is a good game
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

Miggle wrote:

Consoles should still be the platform of cheap, casual, splitscreen games. PCs should still be the platform of Deep singleplayer and Online Multiplayer games. But as it is, they're both just the platform of shit games.
I agree with this statement. There is nothing wrong with casual, easy gaming, be it singleplayer or multiplayer. But that is for the consoles. PC game quality is heading downhill into the casual region, because developers aren't grasping that they need to make two different games for each different platform.

Either that or they're just being lazy.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6712|FUCK UBISOFT

Finray wrote:

Miggle wrote:

I agree with this statement. There is nothing wrong with casual, easy gaming, be it singleplayer or multiplayer. But that is for the consoles. PC game quality is heading downhill into the casual region, because developers aren't grasping that they need to make two different games for each different platform.

Either that or they're just being lazy.
how about they want to make money and not go bankrupt.

This is on the consumers, the devs are abusing them because its easy.

Last edited by Miggle (2009-12-04 16:07:55)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

SamBo wrote:

Tru dat.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

mtb0minime wrote:

SamBo wrote:

Tru dat.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
I'm at that bit where I'm in that Deling City and I have to go and meet ze General. But of course it being an RPG, I have to do something else before I can do something else. So I have to find some Tomb that's "Northeast of the city" except I have no idea what the hell is Northeast because there's no fucking compass, and even if I go where what is logically northeast there's fuck all there except more bloody random monster encounters. I know you can run away but they're still annoying. The maps in this game are all terrible, such an advanced civilisation, such poor cartography

And enough with the ladyboys, seriously, this new Sniper character, is the ultimate lady boy of lady boys. Is there not one male in this universe that is not an androgynous ladyboy

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-12-05 05:18:03)

FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
Press Select a few times while on the World Map, nubcake.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

If you got Diabo from Cid before you left on your mission you would no longer get random encounters after the GF acquires the No Encounter skill.

You didn't get the Lamp did you?

Last edited by Macbeth (2009-12-05 12:58:16)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

Yeah, Diablos' No Encounter ability is the best there is in the game. Especially considering the strange enemy leveling system, it's actually easier to go through the game while leveling your characters as little as possible. However, if you ever did want to get them all to 100 for the hell of it, just wait until near the end of the game, you'll get a vehicle that gives you access to a few islands with some really tough monsters that will raise you a level after each battle. (Even better if you have HP/Atk/Def/etc. bonus abilities from GFs)

Oh and inside that dungeon that you have to find, you only have to go one screen/step in and find an ID#, but it'd be beneficial to go through the entire thing and acquire the GF in there.

Last edited by mtb0minime (2009-12-05 13:27:12)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
I don't think I got any Diablo from Cid, I got some Lamp from somewhere yeah It says save the game before you use it or some shit. I went to the dungeon (luckily I had the location finder thing) fought the dude in there but he ran away and I couldn't be bothered to continue chasing after this bitch so I just left, I'll get him some other time maybe

I hate games where there's alot of shit outside of the main missions, but you're not even told about it, and instead you're continously told to do this and that instead, so you just miss half the game. This same shit happened in Fallout 3 where you're bugged to just do the main shit and about 2/3 of the game only happens if you actually ignore what you have to do and do your own shit, but then these games have a way of making you feel like you're against the clock of time and it just doesn't feel fun, can't they just say, look go in that dungeon if you want cos there's some cool shit, instead of "come right back don't mess around" fuck sake
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Save the game and rub the lamp and it'll start the fight with Diablo.

He is tough but after you beat him you get him as a GF. You need him in order to make the final boss battle easier.

Anyway his magic attacks only take down a certain percent of your health per attack so cast blind on him so he can't do any physical attacks. Once he is blinded he can't kill any of the team and you can keep drawing magic from him and stock up then finish him off.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
I just beat those two monsters, then was back to the guys in the sewers, still no save point, got lost/pissed off especially because sometimes it works when you jump on the water wheel, sometimes it doesn't let you and there's no way to find out for sure. There's alot of annoying stuff in the game that comes from the fact that the backgrounds are the way they are, interaction with the environment is fucking gay. So because of the lack of save points I'll have to just do it all again when I feel like actually doing alot of it.

Lots of stupid shit in this game, can't see myself going all the way through it. Why have a stupid maze in the middle of nowhere and no save point before it, fucking Japs
FFLink
There is.

Mekstizzle wrote:

I just beat those two monsters, then was back to the guys in the sewers, still no save point, got lost/pissed off especially because sometimes it works when you jump on the water wheel, sometimes it doesn't let you and there's no way to find out for sure. There's alot of annoying stuff in the game that comes from the fact that the backgrounds are the way they are, interaction with the environment is fucking gay. So because of the lack of save points I'll have to just do it all again when I feel like actually doing alot of it.

Lots of stupid shit in this game, can't see myself going all the way through it. Why have a stupid maze in the middle of nowhere and no save point before it, fucking Japs
Are you not emulating it?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
No I'm using a proper PC version. I still haven't played it since that mini rant somewhat directed towards the entire nation of Japan. But I'll pick it up again sometime soon.
FFLink
There is.

Mekstizzle wrote:

No I'm using a proper PC version. I still haven't played it since that mini rant somewhat directed towards the entire nation of Japan. But I'll pick it up again sometime soon.
If you fancy doing all you did again but on an emulated version, you can save whenever.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6623
Once you start using savestates, there is no going back
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6712|FUCK UBISOFT

Lucien wrote:

Once you start using savestates, there is no going back
PC Consoles > Consoles

Last edited by Miggle (2009-12-07 16:36:24)

FFLink
There is.
Shame we're about 10 years behind on emulation.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6712|FUCK UBISOFT

FFLink wrote:

Shame we're about 10 years behind on emulation.
indeed

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard