presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5978|Places 'n such
As usual i've taken my computer apart and then put it back together after a minor change (resprayed the inside of the case) and now it doesnt work.
Plugged the psu into another pc to check that worked and it did but that used a different cable.
Did the same with the graphics card and got no image but dunno if this proves anything.
Tried a different graphics card with the mobo from the pc that wasnt working and got no image still.

It turns on but i get no lights on the front and no image on the screen. The fan from the graphics card that usually spins for about 2 seconds just continues to spin and it makes no beep.

Halp?

#edit: oooh 700 days =]

Last edited by presidentsheep (2009-12-01 13:07:50)

I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
TravisC555
+118|6236|Cox Convention Center, OK
Have you tried plugging in a known working monitor into the pc that is having issues?

presidentsheep wrote:

It turns on but i get no lights on the front and no image on the screen. The fan from the graphics card that usually spins for about 2 seconds just continues to spin and it makes no beep.
Which graphics card was used when you turned it on?
alexb
<3
+590|5957|Kentucky, USA

Make sure the motherboard is not in contact with any metal.
NgoDamWei
+7|5681|Western North Carolina
How is your memory stick(s)?  I just had a similar problem and that proved the villian. 

Fortunately I had more than one stick, pulled one and that was the soluntion, the machine booted perfectly. 

Tested the one pulled solo and true it was bad.  RMA'd to Kingston for lifetime replacement.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5922|CA
Did you plug in your CPU?
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5978|Places 'n such
Tried it with a few graphics cards, also tried the other card in another pc.
I checked the CPU was plugged in same with the metal and the motherboard, only thing touching it is the metal riser screws on the bottom.
Will try removing the RAM, if that's it they're corsair so I shouldn't have a problem RMA'ing it.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5978|Places 'n such
Just tried removing the RAM one stick at a time and trying it in different slots etc. Didn't work
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6206|Canada

Tried clearing CMOS?

Last time I took my computer apart and put it back together it would turn on, but no image on screen. clearing CMOS fixed it.

And for no lights on front of the case, check the connections and make sure they are at the right place

Last edited by Phatmatt (2009-12-02 11:02:12)

presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5978|Places 'n such

Phatmatt wrote:

Tried clearing CMOS?

Last time I took my computer apart and put it back together it would turn on, but no image on screen. clearing CMOS fixed it.

And for no lights on front of the case, check the connections and make sure they are at the right place
Elaborate please? The connections should all be right, case is a heap of shit though so it could just be that.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5978|Places 'n such
Right, located the 2 pins to do this... do i just short them with a screwdriver or what?
#edit, just took the battery out and im gonna wait till tomorrow. Will update the thread then.

Last edited by presidentsheep (2009-12-02 12:13:51)

Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6206|Canada

check in your motherboard manual, it should say it there.

Basically you need to unplug the computer, take out the battery, and put a jumper on the clear CMOS pins for about 10 seconds. Once that's done you put the battery back and plug your computer.  This will reset the bios to default, so you will lose any overclocking settings and any other settings you may have done.

edit: your manual will tell you exactly what to do with your motherboard, if you don't have it just go find it on the motherboard website.

Last edited by Phatmatt (2009-12-02 13:09:35)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX
As usual i've taken my computer apart and then put it back together after a minor change (resprayed the inside of the case) and now it doesnt work.
Don't mess with things which don't need to be messed with.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5978|Places 'n such
Right, cleared the CMOS and that itself seems to have worked as i can no longer power on using the keyboard, however theres still no image on screen.
I'm beginning to think its the 12v cable on the PSU (the 8 pin one that plugs into the mobo) as the CPU fan doesnt spin when it turns on and the graphics card fan spins for a second, stops for half a second then keeps repeating this. Would this be a reasonable assumption? Reckon I should try to return it? It's a corsair HX520
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX
Do you have a multimeter to check it with? Much easier than returning the unit.

My experience of electronics, from a mechanical engineers perspective, is its very often cables or connectors.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5978|Places 'n such

Dilbert_X wrote:

Do you have a multimeter to check it with? Much easier than returning the unit.

My experience of electronics, from a mechanical engineers perspective, is its very often cables or connectors.
Yep, thing only has one cable with it though Every one ive used before had 2 so dont think this things quite right.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard