Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
what was that word he couldn't spell again?

ah yeah... "fiscal policy"

"physical policy...Fiscal... F-I-S-K-A-L"

I mean, people paid out GWB for not appearing that verbally articulate. This guy is just beyond the pale. His suggestions are often utter shit too... a "royal commission on climate change" that everyone with half a brain knows is an utterly shit suggestion.

Last edited by Spark (2009-11-30 03:55:37)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland
I think his seat is pretty maginal as well. Cant see him getting re-elected. Its crazy how one nut job can hold the entire country to ransome. Hope that changes real soon. Democracy sure aint perfect I guess.

Last edited by Burwhale (2009-11-30 04:10:41)

Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

Burwhale wrote:

I think his seat is pretty maginal as well. Cant see him getting re-elected. Its crazy how one nut job can hold the entire country to ransome. Hope that changes real soon. Democracy sure aint perfect I guess.
That's not it. He got elected on Labor preferences (with 1-2% of the primary vote...) and lost them aages ago. His days are numbered.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

You guys might like a Presidential/Separation of Powers system
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland

Macbeth wrote:

Please elaborate Macbeth.
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

Macbeth wrote:

I asked ANU's top professor on polisci and an ardent republican (Prof John Warhurst) and he made it clear the model for a Republic he wanted was nothing like the American model, on a number of issues.

Speaking of a republic, I think this weeks events will have delayed a republic move for a long time given its most ardent and outspoken supporter, Turnbull, is dead-in-the-water.

I wonder what he'll do after tomorrow.

Last edited by Spark (2009-11-30 04:18:12)

~ Richard Feynman
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Burwhale wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Well in Presidential System you get you directly vote upon why you want as your executive. The executive is independent of the legislature. Net little system, provides stability and usually takes awhile for laws to get passed rather than right away since there is often little party loyalty. We also get to vote on our legislature members directly.

You guys should check it out.

Last edited by Macbeth (2009-11-30 04:18:40)

Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

Macbeth wrote:

Burwhale wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Well in Presidential System you get you directly vote upon why you want as your executive. The executive is independent of the legislature. Net little system, provides stability and usually takes awhile for laws to get passed rather than right away since there is often little party loyalty.

This bill was introduced a long, long time ago. It takes a long time anyway.
~ Richard Feynman
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Spark wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Burwhale wrote:

Well in Presidential System you get you directly vote upon why you want as your executive. The executive is independent of the legislature. Net little system, provides stability and usually takes awhile for laws to get passed rather than right away since there is often little party loyalty.

I know just sayin, it's nice to be able to vote on your executive rather than pray to good that the majority party didn't pick an idiot. Works both ways though, we elected Bush.

Anyway /back to lurking this thread.
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

Macbeth wrote:

Spark wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

I know just sayin, it's nice to be able to vote on your executive rather than pray to good that the majority party didn't pick an idiot. Works both ways though, we elected Bush.

Anyway /back to lurking this thread.
No, that's only the Senate. The house of reps works differently.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Macbeth wrote:

Burwhale wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Well in Presidential System you get you directly vote upon why you want as your executive. The executive is independent of the legislature. Net little system, provides stability and usually takes awhile for laws to get passed rather than right away since there is often little party loyalty. We also get to vote on our legislature members directly.

They figured out Australia would be better off as a commonwealth. In the end, there will be always idiotic politicians, no matter what system you use.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6634|NT, like Mick Dundee

Macbeth wrote:

Burwhale wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Our equivalent of your 'secretaries', some of the most powerful people in the country, are all elected individuals who have a shit-load of advisors.

Unlike yours. Who are picked.

Just sayin.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
looks like abbott has won.
~ Richard Feynman
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia

Macbeth wrote:

Burwhale wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

What, in the USA? Lol..
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia

Spark wrote:

looks like abbott has won.
Indeed he has - http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,26424610-2,00.html
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
By one vote against Turnbull.

o.O
~ Richard Feynman
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

The best conspiracy theory so far is that Abbott supporters voted for Turnbull in the first round to knock Hockey out.

It's incredible. The public opinion was Hockey > Turnbull > Abbott and the results are the opposite.

I don't think the mad monk Abbott will be much of a leader. He's too tainted from the Howard years and knows it.

I'm sick of the Abbott and Bishop puns already.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2009/12/01/2758784.htm

A lot of people have increased respect for Turnbull, as they see his motivation in politics is driven by principle (with more than a bit of ambition) - not greed (the guy is loaded and I mean loaded).

I think, if Hockey shows the same weakness he showed today/yesterday Turnbull could have another crack in a few years, after he has more experience under his belt

Last edited by Spark (2009-11-30 22:10:23)

~ Richard Feynman
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone

Macbeth wrote:

Burwhale wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

From what I see and know of the American system, I hope to fucking god it stays there.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Ugh.

My first fed election and I'll probably end up sumbitting a vote which has graffiti on it.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland
In other words the American system would give us another level of govt that we didnt have before. For a country that is always talking about small govt, the US seems to have a lot of it. I think we should avoid your system.

I didnt predict an abbot win for the opposition leadership. I think they may have well and truly fucked up their chances for the next election ( like it wasnt already). Having said that, Abbot is a Rhodes scholar, therefore a very smart man, so it would be dangerous to underestimate him. I am very dissapointed that the Liberals have gone down the conservative path again.

ETS looks like it is dead inthe water unless some progressive libs cross the floor, but I get the feeling that wont happen. The trigger for a double dissolution will  be given.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Burwhale, I heard some-where that Abbott had checked with a constitutional law expert and apparently there's some sort of loophole or something. Not certain though. Think it was mentioned on Insiders on Sunday while they debated the likely-hood of Abbott back-flipping on his previous promise not to run.

Will probably end up voting Liberal (Snowdon doesn't do shit for us here) up here, and CLP for the Senate in the next fed election. As is normal in my family. Even if the CLP Senate rep is a total redneck.
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
No ETS/carbon tax in Liberal policy.

Oh boy this will end well.
~ Richard Feynman
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

"We will not increase any taxes" - Abbott.

The only thing they can do, is propose Nuclear facilities. Which were unpopular the last time they were proposed because nobody wanted a Nuclear facility anywhere near them.

Abbott's plan is already pretty clear. Interest rates. Boat people. Taxes. A fear campaign on all three.

Last edited by AussieReaper (2009-12-01 22:10:39)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

AussieReaper wrote:

"We will not increase any taxes" - Abbott.

The only thing can do, is propose Nuclear facilities. Which were unpopular the last time they were proposed because nobody wanted a Nuclear facility anywhere near them.
I'm wondering how they'll pay for the many new nuclear power plants without raising taxes.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard