Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6616
When the new patch came out, BF2 worked fine on Windows 7 for me. Then, I stopped playing it for a few weeks and now when I try to launch BF2, the screen goes black for a few seconds then crashes to desktop. The only thing I've done during that time is install Modern Warfare 1 and update punkbuster for it to work with it.

Any idea how to fix this?
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5454|Bolingbrook, Illinois

http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_3.html wrote:

Launch Issues: The most common problem with BF2 is that the game crashes to desktop or goes to a black screen when you first launch it. The reason for this is either incompatible hardware (make sure you meet all of the minimum specs for the game), or more usually the fact that you're not running at the default refresh rate of 60Hz. By default the game tries to launch at 800x600@60Hz initially, so your system must be able to run that same resolution and refresh rate, otherwise the game will abort. If you are using any other refresh rate, or a refresh rate override program/method, disable it (e.g. if you're using Refresh Force, click the 'Restore Original Settings' button and apply) or set it back to 60Hz for both 800x600 and your chosen gaming resolution. Alternatively, see the Advanced Tweaking section of the guide for details on how to set a different startup resolution, in case your graphics card/monitor simply cannot do 800x600@60Hz resolution. Once you've got the game running, you can then change the resolution to suit your taste in the in-game settings, and importantly you can select a higher refresh rate. Then you can reapply any refresh rate override and the game will launch without any problems. To set a non-standard resolution see the Advanced Tweaking section.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6616
Thanks!

I play on my laptop which is usually hooked up to a larger monitor. Since I'm just on the laptop now without the monitor, I have to play at a lower resolution. Looks like it was crashing because it was trying to start the game in 1920x1200 instead of 1440x900, which is the highest the laptop's display supports. To fix it, I just edited the video settings file in Profiles > Default.

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2009-11-26 18:11:30)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard