VYWang
+4|5339

QuickBird Driver wrote:

Just a suggestion, VYWang, if you can find a MoBo that supports SLI or Crossfire, it should help down the road if you want to upgrade for better video performance.  Although, I hear that there is no appreciable boost in BF2 performance maybe because of age.  There are a couple of tricks to SLI, though.
I've heard of SLI, but whats Crossfire? Is one better than the other?

QuickBird Driver wrote:

For one, you can't use different video cards together.  They have to be identical cards.  When I built mine earlier this year, I got a board with 3 SLI slots but bought only one card to save money.  Then a couple of months ago when I decided to buy a second card, I had to really search because hardly anyone was still selling it.
1 question though, if you had a card that couldn't run a game because it sucked or w/e, would 2 of the same cards allow it to run the game? Or would it not make a difference since the specs would be the same x2?

QuickBird Driver wrote:

Second, if you do get SLI, try to find a board where at least two of the PCIe slots are x16 all the time.  Most of the boards when I bought mine didn't have this.  The first slot was x16, but if you used the second one, both dropped to x8.  Two steps forward and one back.

On another note, with all the heat that these new multi-core CPUs and video cards generate, get a good cooler and plenty of case fans.
I will definitely remember that lol, there was this one person that told me about this TIM thing though, it was like liquid metal you put on your components to help cool them down. Technology
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5521|Bolingbrook, Illinois

VYWang wrote:

I've heard of SLI, but whats Crossfire? Is one better than the other?
SLI is for nVidia, Crossfire is for ATI.  Basically, it's the same thing, just for different companies.

VYWang wrote:

1 question though, if you had a card that couldn't run a game because it sucked or w/e, would 2 of the same cards allow it to run the game? Or would it not make a difference since the specs would be the same x2?
Depends.  If the card lacked a pixel shader or some technology that the game needs to run at all, then no.  If it's just laggy as fuck with one card, then having SLI would probably help with that.

VYWang wrote:

I will definitely remember that lol, there was this one person that told me about this TIM thing though, it was like liquid metal you put on your components to help cool them down. Technology
just get some ice packs and put them all over your computer

also, cold water works better then liquid metal, do it
QuickBird Driver
+1|5353|Colorado
Good one, HaiBai.  I love the way it tingles when I drop a hair dryer in the tub, too.  LOL

VYWang, are you thinking of the thermal paste you put on the CPU before you install the heat sink?  Maybe it is because one of the best brands for paste is Arctic Silver.  Paste is something you should definitely use because it makes the heat transfer to the sink more efficient.

Another thing to watch out for is the size of heat sink/fan combo and the case size.  I thought my case was going to be big enough for my Monsoon Vigor, but I still had to move my side case fan to the outside because the cooler was so freakin' big.  And a lot of people don't take into account that their machine will be inside a desk with limited or no airflow.  The biggest enemy of computer components is heat.  Keep that in mind when you build your machine.
VYWang
+4|5339

QuickBird Driver wrote:

Good one, HaiBai.  I love the way it tingles when I drop a hair dryer in the tub, too.  LOL

VYWang, are you thinking of the thermal paste you put on the CPU before you install the heat sink?  Maybe it is because one of the best brands for paste is Arctic Silver.  Paste is something you should definitely use because it makes the heat transfer to the sink more efficient.
I think that's it, does the past come with the CPU or do you need to order separately?

QuickBird Driver wrote:

Another thing to watch out for is the size of heat sink/fan combo and the case size.  I thought my case was going to be big enough for my Monsoon Vigor, but I still had to move my side case fan to the outside because the cooler was so freakin' big.  And a lot of people don't take into account that their machine will be inside a desk with limited or no airflow.  The biggest enemy of computer components is heat.  Keep that in mind when you build your machine.
Yea, I'm ordering a case that should work. However, one thing I'm worried about is the fact that the PSU is mounted on the bottom... I'm wondering if there's gonna be a problem with heat because my computer is probably gonna be sitting on the carpet :\
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5825|Catherine Black

VYWang wrote:

QuickBird Driver wrote:

I think that's it, does the past come with the CPU or do you need to order separately?

QuickBird Driver wrote:

Yea, I'm ordering a case that should work. However, one thing I'm worried about is the fact that the PSU is mounted on the bottom... I'm wondering if there's gonna be a problem with heat because my computer is probably gonna be sitting on the carpet :\
Won't be a problem, the case will have a raised floor, so there's a bit of air underneath it for your PSU fan.

The thermal paste that comes on most aftermarket fans is usually better than scraping it off and reapplying some other stuff, but if you're using the default hsf (heat sync fan), then I would recommend putting some more on. Intel paste is really crap quality, and they put a tiny amount on.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
QuickBird Driver
+1|5353|Colorado
If I remember right, my CPU did not come with paste, and looking at NewEgg, their CPU's don't list paste as included.  It costs less than $10.  If you build your own machine, i.e. you'll buy a separate CPU, you will have to put the paste on yourself.  It's not difficult to do.  The CPU will be clean on top.  The CPU's come with a sink and usually a fan, but they are pretty wimpy and loud, and it is worth it to buy an aftermarket sink and fan.  The best fans are quiet and still move a lot of air which is important with newer machines the way that all the cables and cards and drives restrict airflow.  The only time I would think you would have to scrape off paste is if you are installing a used CPU.

IMO, I would not get a case with a PSU in the bottom simply because heat rises, and the PSU fan helps to evacuate hot air from the case.  Also, if the PSU is in the bottom, then the MoBo and expansion cards are going to be a little higher in the case meaning they will be where the warmest air is.  Also, also, the PSU generates heat, and that heat will be convecting right through where the board and cards are.
VYWang
+4|5339

QuickBird Driver wrote:

If I remember right, my CPU did not come with paste, and looking at NewEgg, their CPU's don't list paste as included.  It costs less than $10.  If you build your own machine, i.e. you'll buy a separate CPU, you will have to put the paste on yourself.  It's not difficult to do.  The CPU will be clean on top.  The CPU's come with a sink and usually a fan, but they are pretty wimpy and loud, and it is worth it to buy an aftermarket sink and fan.  The best fans are quiet and still move a lot of air which is important with newer machines the way that all the cables and cards and drives restrict airflow.  The only time I would think you would have to scrape off paste is if you are installing a used CPU.

IMO, I would not get a case with a PSU in the bottom simply because heat rises, and the PSU fan helps to evacuate hot air from the case.  Also, if the PSU is in the bottom, then the MoBo and expansion cards are going to be a little higher in the case meaning they will be where the warmest air is.  Also, also, the PSU generates heat, and that heat will be convecting right through where the board and cards are.
Excellent point, I never thought about that. Thanks!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard