LT.Victim
+1,175|6696|British Columbia, Canada
Current System Specs:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6400
Motherboard: Asus P5B-Deluxe S775 i965P Chips
Ram: OCZ Gold XTC 2x1G DDR2 800M
Video Card: eVGA E-GEFORCE 7900GS 256M DDR3
Power Supply: OCZ 700 Watt GameXStream SLI

I'm looking to spending under $500 on upgrading my system. Most likely just a new video card and whatever else fits my budget. I haven't really been keeping up to the new technology since I bought this computer in 2006 so I could use some help choosing some parts.

Obviously I don't want something that is going to vastly bottleneck my PC. However, I still want something that I'm not going to have to replace if I upgrade more parts in my computer.

Thx for the help.
Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6578|EE Chat
GTX 260 core 216 and 2 more gigs of the same RAM. Check the price and see how much you have left.
__M@ver1ck__
+2|5423

Reddhedd wrote:

GTX 260 core 216 and 2 more gigs of the same RAM. Check the price and see how much you have left.
+1 what he said.

Realistically its not worth changing the CPU as the most worthwhile upgrades are going to involve going to a new socket - which means a new mobo, and DDR3 RAM and that will blow the budget.

A couple of questions:

1) are you OC'd currently ? - Max will known better than me, but the C2D CPU's overclock well i think, meaning more performance for free.
2) what operating system are you on ? - adding 2GB of RAM will definitely help performance, but remember that the max windows "sees" without modding if you are on 32 bit version is 3.14 GB. If you are on 64 bit, go ahead and throw as much RAM in as you fancy (although the more RAM the harder it is to stabilise an overclock).

HTH,

R.

Last edited by __M@ver1ck__ (2009-11-25 02:28:08)

Benzin
+576|6132
More RAM, a new video card (doesn't have to be Nvidia, though - maybe look into the 4890?) and a new CPU cooler. I think the CPU warranties are only 2 years, right??? If so, no worries about the warranty. Go ahead and OC it. Just make sure a new cooler to match the new heat.

But like Maverick said - a new 64-bit OS wouldn't hurt you at all. Either Vista or 7 should do you just fine (though I would get 7).
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6824|Devon, England
All spot on replies. Save what's left for a complete new-build in the future
Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6578|EE Chat

CapnNismo wrote:

More RAM, a new video card (doesn't have to be Nvidia, though - maybe look into the 4890?) and a new CPU cooler. I think the CPU warranties are only 2 years, right??? If so, no worries about the warranty. Go ahead and OC it. Just make sure a new cooler to match the new heat.

But like Maverick said - a new 64-bit OS wouldn't hurt you at all. Either Vista or 7 should do you just fine (though I would get 7).
This. I still prefer NVIDIA, but 4870 or 4890 is a good alternative if you would like to go ATI. If you do have the extra money to spend then a CPU cooler would be a good idea if you wanna OC it at all. I would go with the XIGMATEK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … -_-Product
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|6094|Places 'n such
I've got something similar to this and it works perfectly on anything ive tried it on, full graphics.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … -_-Product
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard