steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6351|the land of bourbon
submit your bf2 gameplay tips!

alexb - Sticking your face in the wall (prone) when a grenade goes off next to you causes you to lose only half health.  You can also use the same method to bypass claymores too (prone).

Buckles - On inf only in cqc. if you down someone, chuck a 'nade at their corpse. This will take out the dozen medics that blindly dive headfirst to revive.

DBBrinson1 - Shut up and play.  Also respect server rules.  If you don't like them go elsewhere.  Just because you don't think there is an admin in game doesn't mean one isn't watching.  Also spam spotting commanders really piss me off.  Hard to hear a nade landing at your feet, or a grappling hook being tossed up behind you through a constant broken record of "enemy unit spotted".  Be a team player.  Toss out medic packs and ammo kits.  Look around and be aware when you are engaging an enemy that there is probably another beading up on you, (keep moving and don't target fixate).

^DD^GRiPSIf you spawn at a capable base take a quick look at the flag to see if it is going down before you take off somewhere else.  Defending a flag kill is worth an extra point.  Points are good.  Keeping the flags you do have helps your team winning, be a team player.  If you play medic or supply kit pay attention to radio calls for things like medic and ammo needed.  An icon appears on the map of the corresponding call. This method works in reverse for when you need these things as well.  Make the radio call and find the corresponding icon on your map closest to you and go get what you need.  Pay attention to 'need medic' calls on your mini-map as well, it may allow you to locate the enemy by the bodies they are leaving behind.

DeathUnlimited - Try to obey server rules when you know you are against admins. That way you can usually play at least two-three rounds on the same server as opposed to being banned in the first.

FatherTed - In ANY kind of vehicle, keep moving.  you stop=you dead.

Finray - It's called flanking.  Learn it, use it, love it.

haffeysucks - shockpaddles > all for CQC

Hakei - Watch decent BF2 videos. I hate to be the 'plugger', but I'm fairly sure mine covers quite a bit for those who want to get good in F35.  Pr0-f35 tactics.  Frag vids are cool too, you'll find lots of tactics and general skills in those vids.  2 hours watching youtube videos + 10 hours ingame > 30 hours ingame. IMO.

I'm Jamesey - if you're not playing medic on inf only you're useless.  Proper bf2 etiquette.

Irishpride - Get out of my jet noob.  (aka let the whores fly, you will win the round.)  If you're playing alone, join/create squads with a purpose (ie - join/create squad titled 'ENG VOIP' or 'TV-Station' ect...)  Listen to music when you play.

JakAttak - While someone is falling after hitting prone,  just shoot where they will be and it'll hit them.  Pistol is the most underated gun in the game.  When in a firefight,, rather than reload, pick up another kit if possible (just hope it has ammo ) Learn to predict how specific kits will typically move in a firefight. Eg, support should 99.9% of times go prone. It's rare they don't.  Never be the first one to run onto a flag if possible. As soon as you hear artillery move. There is a chance it's coming down on you.  If you are prone, and scoping in on an area as sniper, and you get shot, fucking move.  When behind enemy lines, if possible swap for an enemy weapon.

Jebus - LOOK AT YOUR MINIMAP! When you see a red dot running to where you're capping a flag (for example), drop nade right next to the corner which will hit them just when they make their turn. They'll never know what hit them.  When one nade has exploded in a certain place, you can be sure a second one will explode in the same place a few seconds later.

jsnipy - spawn camp in the uncaps. It helps your team win.

Metal-Eater-GR - If you are capturing a flag, choose a spot that allows you to cover multiple entrances at once. Don't just hole up in a corner and stare at the flag capture bar. You hear artillery, you run.  Don't revive someone if you are in the middle of a fire fight. Chances are you die, and your teammate gives away another 2 points to the enemy, not to mention the extra spawn time.  Chuck nades at alternative routes, ex when you are in karkand, if you choose to go to hotel from the street, throw some nades in the alleys, less chance to get flanked by the enemy, and a couple more kills.

mtb0minime - about firing on an enemy who is using cover, make sure you hold your cursor right above the cover so you can see the red name tag. The tag will pop up (i.e. move upwards from behind the cover) right before the enemy is about to pop up. When you see the tag pop up, wait a short second, then fire. He'll never see what hit him.  as a medic or support, when capping a flag deep in enemy territory, or even when hiding behind a wall after running away from an enemy, DO NOT throw down ammo or medic bags if you're trying to maintain stealth! The icons will show up briefly on the enemy's screen and your position will be compromised.  vehicles, TOW, and AA sites remain "active" (i.e. box showing up) on an enemy jet's HUD for a little bit longer after you exit it. Do not think that after jumping out of a car, the target box will immediately disappear!  if you're a medic and can't revive someone because they're stuck in an object, try throwing a health pack at the body. Sometimes it will push the body out of whatever it's stuck in and you can successfully revive.

ebug(see above) once you see the name tag pop up, immediately shoot. The hitbox will be in the position as if they're already standing.

Pubic - Splash damage is your friend.  It will spread outwards from wherever your round (nade, tank shell etc) hits.  Good shot placement will help you get more kills through splash damage.  It is useful when you see two men beside each other, but really comes into its own when getting people who aren't in your direct line of fire - a shot on the ceiling, ground or wall can kill.  Grenade launchers work best when used from a height looking down; they're easier to aim and a lot of people just don't look up.  Avoid the meat grinder; rushing head-first into the closest enemy flag will get you killed.  Try and sneak past the first flag and cap flags somewhere in the middle; leapfrog, when you cap a rear flag you'll force them to fight on two fronts all of a sudden.  If BF2 is a game of chess, be like the knight and not like the pawn.

RegMan - The spots system in BF2 is really fail... The spots don't go in complete straight lines... Sometimes I stand far from a flag and have to aim a bit to the right/left/up with the spot in order to actualy mark the enemy.  Hope you got my point

rob - Aim of the game is to stay alive and take their flags. Killing them is your secondary objective

seymorebutts443 - When flying and you hear the dreaded lock on tone, switch to your front chase view and WAIT to put down flares. Do not throw down flares immediately or you will die. Also the MG on the jets are 100x better than they were in 1.41, use them or die.

Skorpy-chan - If an enemy chopper passes by at low level, trailing smoke and/or fire, take a potshot. You might score a couple of kills. (PKM-ed a chopper out the sky on Sharqi this way the other day.)  Buy a mousemat with one of those ergonomic gel pads. WAY better than smashing your fist into the keyboard or desk when you're killed mid-streak, or suffer a totally bullshit death.  The faster you move, the harder it is to shoot you.

steelie34 - when you hop in the heli with someone who isn't using voip, make a note of their screen name, and then pay attention when they spot something.  all too often i am spotting enemy helis while my co-pilot or gunner is looking at something else.  if you are ninja capping a flag far behind enemy lines, don't sit in a vehicle until after you turn the flag neutral.  if you are exchanging fire with an enemy who is using cover to hide, make sure you move when they duck!  this way, every time they pop up to shoot, they will have to re-aim before shooting instead of you simply crouch spamming up and down in their crosshairs.  A full 64-man server is NEVER the time for you to learn how to fly.

.Sup - Squad play tactics

Sup3r_Dr4gon - If you're running to an enemy's position, look up and see if there's an enemy UAV. If there is, change your tactics accordingly.  Learn from your mistakes and adapt.  Don't start shooting at an enemy the second you see him, especially if he hasn't seen you. Put yourself in a the best position you can before engaging, that way the advantage is yours.  That is, if you need to shoot at all. If you're running to a back flag, putting a bullet in someone is the best way to bring attention to your plans. Keeping your knife out of an inattentive sniper or not shooting at that guy 100m away could mean the difference between getting a flag or dieing en-route.

Sydney - Priority for jets: Fighters > Bombers > Mobile AA > Stationary AA > attack choppers > transport choppers > tanks > other.  If you are in a fighter you should only attack the ground after all planes are down, and only do so until you think they are back up in the air.  Priority for attack choppers: Attack choppers > Mobile AA > Stationary AA > incoming jets > tanks > other.  In an attack chopper, YOUR ONLY TARGET is the enemy attack chopper(s), all other kills are bonuses.  If you sneak up on an enemy attack chopper, make the first strike count, don't rush that TV, make sure you hit it.  Use your peripherals, due to the FOV, you can see further into the fog at the edge of the screen, use that to your advantage.  Attack chopper canons should ONLY, I repeat ONLY be used on the following:  Infantry, Jeeps and other attack helicopters between TV reloads.

Zandermander - Look at your map constantly, if an enemy bails out of a vehicle, a grey vehicle icon appears as soon as he does. This applies to you too, blow up your car if you want to remain stealthy.  Always spot enemies.

Last edited by steelie34 (2009-11-25 04:35:02)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

mtb0minime - adding to what steelie said about firing on an enemy who is using cover, make sure you hold your cursor right above the cover so you can see the red name tag. The tag will pop up (i.e. move upwards from behind the cover) right before the enemy is about to pop up. When you see the tag pop up, wait a short second, then fire. He'll never see what hit him.

mtb0minime - as a medic or support, when capping a flag deep in enemy territory, or even when hiding behind a wall after running away from an enemy, DO NOT throw down ammo or medic bags if you're trying to maintain stealth! The icons will show up briefly on the enemy's screen and your position will be compromised.

god there are so many little things I do and other people do that I can't even remember most of them off the top of my head. i'll post some more here after I play and begin to notice them

Last edited by mtb0minime (2009-11-20 10:43:26)

Skorpy-chan
+127|6315|Twyford, UK
If an enemy chopper passes by at low level, trailing smoke and/or fire, take a potshot. You might score a couple of kills. (PKM-ed a chopper out the sky on Sharqi this way the other day.)
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6296|England
Pistol is the most underated gun in the game.
When in a firefight,, rather than reload, pick up another kit if possible (just hope is has ammo )
Learn to predict how specific kits will typically move in a firefight. Eg, support should 99.9% of times go prone. It's rare they don't.
Never be the first one to run onto a flag if possible.
As soon as you hear artillery move. There is a chance it's coming down on you.
All i can think of atm. Haven't played in ages.
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6102|Scotland!
if you're not playing medic on inf only you're useless
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6282

mtb0minime wrote:

mtb0minime - adding to what steelie said about firing on an enemy who is using cover, make sure you hold your cursor right above the cover so you can see the red name tag. The tag will pop up (i.e. move upwards from behind the cover) right before the enemy is about to pop up. When you see the tag pop up, wait a short second, then fire. He'll never see what hit him.

mtb0minime - as a medic or support, when capping a flag deep in enemy territory, or even when hiding behind a wall after running away from an enemy, DO NOT throw down ammo or medic bags if you're trying to maintain stealth! The icons will show up briefly on the enemy's screen and your position will be compromised.

god there are so many little things I do and other people do that I can't even remember most of them off the top of my head. i'll post some more here after I play and begin to notice them
Adding to your second point...once you see the name tag pop up, immediately shoot. The hitbox will be in the position as if they're already standing.
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6296|England

ebug9 wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

Adding to your second point...once you see the name tag pop up, immediately shoot. The hitbox will be in the position as if they're already standing.
Adding to this, while someone is falling after hitting prone,  just shoot where they will be and it'll hit them.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

ebug9 wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

Yeah that's what I meant. But I guess it depends on your ping. Sometimes I'll shoot right away and won't hit anything, so most of the time I wait. Not like they can get a shot ready anyway
Zandermander
Chopper Whore
+3|5572
-Look at your map constantly, if an enemy bails out of a vehicle, a grey vehicle icon appears as soon as he does. This applies to you too, blow up your car if you want to remain stealthy.
-Always spot enemies.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

mtb0minime - vehicles, TOW, and AA sites remain "active" (i.e. box showing up) on an enemy jet's HUD for a little bit longer after you exit it. Do not think that after jumping out of a car, the target box will immediately disappear!
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6813|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Priority for jets: Fighters > Bombers > Mobile AA > Stationary AA > attack choppers > transport choppers > tanks > other

If you are in a fighter you should only attack the ground after all planes are down, and only do so until you think they are back up in the air

Priority for attack choppers: Attack choppers > Mobile AA > Stationary AA > incoming jets > tanks > other

In an attack chopper, YOUR ONLY TARGET is the enemy attack chopper(s), all other kills are bonuses.

If you sneak up on an enemy attack chopper, make the first strike count, don't rush that TV, make sure you hit it.

Use your peripherals, due to the FOV, you can see further into the fog at the edge of the screen, use that to your advantage.

Attack chopper canons should ONLY, I repeat ONLY be used on the following:
Infantry, Jeeps and other attack helicopters between TV reloads, a well placed TV missile is 10 times better for everything else.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6315|Twyford, UK
Buy a mousemat with one of those ergonomic gel pads. WAY better than smashing your fist into the keyboard or desk when you're killed mid-streak, or suffer a totally bullshit death.
Irishpride<3
[√] Flameworthy
+76|5270|Baile Atha Cliath, Éire
Irishpride - Get out of my jet noob.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
In ANY kind of vehicle, keep moving. you stop=you dead.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
El Beardo
steel woolly mammoth
+150|5690|Gulf Coast

Irishpride<3 wrote:

Irishpride - Get out of my jet noob.
Don't be "that guy"
Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6297|Australia
If you're running to an enemy's position, look up and see if there's an enemy UAV. If there is, change your tactics accordingly. No point trying to be sneaky when the enemy knows your exact location.

See who the enemy commander is. Either look out for yellow kill messages or check your scoreboard to see whose kills/teamwork points don't add up to their total score. Then pay attention to what kind of job their doing: Are they fighting and just sticking UAVs at their feet? Are they in a secluded position, constantly scanning? Are they doing anything, or are they AFK? What the commander is doing dictates what strategies you should employ when playing.

Just because you're playing IO doesn't mean you should only play medic/support/sniper. A well placed C4 pack, AT rocket of flashbang can turn the tide of an encounter with the enemy.

When you die, ask yourself what it was that caused you to fail to kill your enemy:
Were you shot in the back? Get a UAV above your head.
Did you run out of ammo? Be more conservative with your bullets, or choose a gun with a larger magazine.
Were you outnumbered? Stick with your squad, or at least the rest of your team.
Do you constantly get bombed by the jet? Ground pound, infantry isn't highlighted on the jet HUD.
Too often you see people getting killed over and over because they constantly do the same thing. Learn from your mistakes and adapt.

Don't start shooting at an enemy the second you see him, especially if he hasn't seen you. Put yourself in a the best position you can before engaging, that way the advantage is yours.
That is, if you need to shoot at all. If you're running to a back flag, putting a bullet in someone is the best way to bring attention to your plans. Keeping your knife out of an inattentive sniper or not shooting at that guy 100m away could mean the difference between getting a flag or dieing en-route.

Edit: 3 short points-

1) Keep an eye out for the enemy UAV. If you're under it, don't be sneaky.
2) Learn from your mistakes and adapt.
3) Always try and put yourself in the best position you can before engaging the enemy. When you dictate the conditions of the fight, you are more likely to win.

Last edited by Sup3r_Dr4gon (2009-11-20 22:26:54)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

Ooh, I like how you broke it down between each of the authors. However, may I suggest putting in some bullet points and separating some of the tips? Some of those are getting to be lengthy, and it seems like it's just one giant hint as opposed to multiple tidbits.

I only say this because I care about the thread. It's off to a good start, and is a great way to renew interest in the game.

Last edited by mtb0minime (2009-11-20 21:05:32)

Brasso
+1,549|6600

shockpaddles > all for CQC
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
steelie34
pub hero!

mtb0minime wrote:

Ooh, I like how you broke it down between each of the authors. However, may I suggest putting in some bullet points and separating some of the tips? Some of those are getting to be lengthy, and it seems like it's just one giant hint as opposed to multiple tidbits.

I only say this because I care about the thread. It's off to a good start, and is a great way to renew interest in the game.
i'm trying to highlight a few things here and there mostly.  i can adapt as this develops.
TunaMan
Mouse-Pilot
+29|5754|Israel
The spots system in BF2 is really fail... The spots don't go in complete straight lines... Sometimes I stand far from a flag and have to aim a bit to the right/left/up with the spot in order to actualy mark the enemy.
Hope you got my point
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6242
If you are capturing a flag, choose a spot that allows you to cover multiple entrances at once. Don't just hole up in a corner and stare at the flag capture bar. You hear artillery, you run.
Don't revive someone if you are in the middle of a fire fight. Chances are you die, and your teammate gives away another 2 points to the enemy, not to mention the extra spawn time.
Chuck nades at alternative routes, ex when you are in karkand, if you choose to go to hotel from the street, throw some nades in the alleys, less chance to get flanked by the enemy, and a couple more kills.
steelie34
pub hero!

RegMan wrote:

The spots system in BF2 is really fail... The spots don't go in complete straight lines... Sometimes I stand far from a flag and have to aim a bit to the right/left/up with the spot in order to actualy mark the enemy.
Hope you got my point
i noticed this too.  i think it might depend on whether there are any objects in between you and the enemy.
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

jsnipy - spawn camp the in the uncaps. It helps your team win.

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-11-21 06:55:27)

robcr9
+111|5951
Aim of the game is to stay alive and take their flags. Killing them is your secondary objective

edit put my name is rob
ta

Last edited by robcr9 (2009-11-21 06:59:17)

Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5734|Belgium
LOOK AT YOUR MINIMAP! When you see a red dot running to where you're capping a flag (for example), drop nade right next to the corner which will hit them just when they make their turn. They'll never know what hit them

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard