prototype
+52|6281
In the last 2 days I have had 2 hard locks while do minimal tasks, email and listening to music using winamp.
The music locks at whatever point it was at and sounds horrible.

In both cases I lose complete control over my system and am forced to do a hard boot/manual shutdown by depressing the power button for 5-10 secs

When the system locks up there are little W's all over the screen in random patterns.

I am not sure which to hope for, I know this is not a good sign but I am hoping that it is just that my systems guts just need to be cleaned with some dust off but I know it could be an HDD or GPU failure.

What do you guys think is causing this?

My system specs are in my sig.

Thank you for any replies

Last edited by prototype (2009-11-17 20:08:05)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

One thread is enough.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
prototype
+52|6281
I did not do it on purpose
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

prototype wrote:

my systems guts just need to be cleaned with some dust off
Go do that, then report back
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
aimless
+166|6095|Texas
It's gpu, mine did the same thing with the W's.
prototype
+52|6281

aimless wrote:

does it mean that the GPU will fail soon or that it is dusty/dirty?

I will buy some dust off tomorrow and try that

thank you for the replies so far
max
Vela Incident

It could just be dirty and overheating. Or it could be dead
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
aimless
+166|6095|Texas

prototype wrote:

aimless wrote:

does it mean that the GPU will fail soon or that it is dusty/dirty?

thank you for the replies so far
Well mine did that, froze, then would not come back to life at all and I had to RMA it.
prototype
+52|6281
I cleaned the entire system, it did not look that dirty/dusty but now it is spotless

I checked all the connectors and made certain that they are secured properly into their respective positions.

My GPU is an Evga 8800GT 512MB PCI-E version and it is about 2 years old

I know the card should last longer than that so if it dies is there anyway I can get a replacement for no charge?

thank you all for the replies.
max
Vela Incident

You should be able to RMA though EVGA
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6706|Salt Lake City

Usually bad RAM on the GPU will cause this to happen.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard