Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England

Poseidon wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Don't you have an Islanders game to watch?
Oh, damn. That stings.

You mean like you're doing right now? Oh shit. That stings too.
Make sure you vote for Peter King next year Oh wait, your vote doesn't count, mine will cancel yours out
Bishop's my guy. But Paterson can gtfo in 2010.
I want LI secession.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6529|Long Island, New York

JohnG@lt wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Make sure you vote for Peter King next year Oh wait, your vote doesn't count, mine will cancel yours out
I want LI secession.
Me too, but that means 51 and that isn't even even number. We just can't have that.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Poseidon wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

I want LI secession.
Me too, but that means 51 and that isn't even even number. We just can't have that.
We could have PR take another vote to make it 52!
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6382

JohnG@lt wrote:

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

yeah I know, it has to pass in the Senate too.

The government cant force me to buy anything it sells.

I believe in the Constitution and my right to freedom. This does not expand my freedom. It takes a little bit more away.

I'm absolutely for comprehensive health care reform. Just not in passing a 1,990 page law that forces the government into my life. I voluntarily signed up to serve my country and abide by the Military code of conduct and the lawful orders given to me. I served for 8 years. Honorably. My average proficiency and conduct rating were well above average at 4.6/4.8.

As a civilian I worked for the US Small Business Administration, assisting disaster victims through Katina/ Rita. We accomplished an amazing feat with paying out over 10 Billion dollars in disaster relief monies in less than 14 months. But, the efficiency and rate of production would fail in the private sector. I have little faith that the US Govt. can run this new health care, lawfully and efficiently, for over 308 million Americans.
I don't think it will stand up to a Supreme Court decision. They would need a constitutional amendment for this to be legal. Especially the part that requires that you purchase and keep insurance or you will be fined. Since when can government force you to buy a product provided by a private company?
Since you could drive cars?  Or isn't car insurance mandatory where you live?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

some_random_panda wrote:

Only liability insurance is required. As in, if I get into an accident, the other guy is covered in case it was my fault. It protects other people from what could be my negative actions. If I own my car outright I am not required to carry collision or medical coverage etc.
-Frederick Bastiat
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6382

JohnG@lt wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

Only liability insurance is required. As in, if I get into an accident, the other guy is covered in case it was my fault. It protects other people from what could be my negative actions. If I own my car outright I am not required to carry collision or medical coverage etc.
That's still provided by a private company, which the government forces you to get, medical coverage or no medical coverage.

More to Harmor:  You drive a car, you pose the risk of injuring someone else.  Thus you need insurance.  If you're living, you pose the risk of getting sick, having to go to hospital and potentially using up funding that you can't pay for.  A car you can choose to drive.  You can't choose to live (although there is life insurance if you're willing to give your children money.)  It's not that unreasonable to expect people to have health insurance rather than become a burden on the health system.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2009-11-08 17:16:48)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Well anyway I'm surprised, the U.S. is finally going to cover everyone with health care and the only one who was able to us to this point was a black guy.

Wasn't expecting that to happen.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

some_random_panda wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

That's still provided by a private company, which the government forces you to get, medical coverage or no medical coverage.

More to Harmor:  You drive a car, you pose the risk of injuring someone else.  Thus you need insurance.  If you're living, you pose the risk of getting sick, having to go to hospital and potentially using up funding that you can't pay for.  A car you can choose to drive.  You can't choose to live (although there is life insurance if you're willing to give your children money.)  It's not that unreasonable to expect people to have health insurance rather than become a burden on the health system.
What's forcing me to go to the hospital if I get sick? Do I not have the choice to use over the counter medicines to fix me or, at worst, the option to die in a gutter? By living, I'm not entitled to other peoples wealth or time, and a doctor shouldn't be forced to treat me if I've wasted my life so utterly that I can't afford to pay a reasonable fee. Some people just aren't worth the time or effort to treat. They provide nothing for anyone, including themselves. Why are the rest of us responsible for keeping them alive?
-Frederick Bastiat
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6382

JohnG@lt wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

What's forcing me to go to the hospital if I get sick? Do I not have the choice to use over the counter medicines to fix me or, at worst, the option to die in a gutter? By living, I'm not entitled to other peoples wealth or time, and a doctor shouldn't be forced to treat me if I've wasted my life so utterly that I can't afford to pay a reasonable fee. Some people just aren't worth the time or effort to treat. They provide nothing for anyone, including themselves. Why are the rest of us responsible for keeping them alive?
You're quite right.  You shouldn't have to pay for others' care.  It's their fault for being poor, after all.
/sarcasm

And if you got a cancer you couldn't afford treatment for, you'd prefer to die in the gutter too?

Last edited by some_random_panda (2009-11-08 17:28:18)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

some_random_panda wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

You're quite right.  You shouldn't have to pay for others' care.  It's their fault for being poor, after all.
/sarcasm

And if you got a cancer you couldn't afford treatment for, you'd prefer to die in the gutter too?
Would I prefer it? No, of course not. If I fucked up my life enough that it came down to me dying in a gutter without the ability to get treatment I wouldn't have any reason to bitch.
-Frederick Bastiat
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6685|San Francisco
As imperfect as the bill is, I'm more than happy it passed.  At least something is being done...with the ball rolling now we just might be able to see real reform come to healthcare in this country for once.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Marconius wrote:

As imperfect as the bill is, I'm more than happy it passed.  At least something is being done...with the ball rolling now we just might be able to see real reform come to healthcare in this country for once.
Move to Canada.
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

JohnG@lt wrote:

Would I prefer it? No, of course not. If I fucked up my life enough that it came down to me dying in a gutter without the ability to get treatment I wouldn't have any reason to bitch.
The right to free health care shouldn't be afforded to those at the bottom, is that what you're saying?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6685|San Francisco

JohnG@lt wrote:

Marconius wrote:

Move to Canada.
Nah, I like it here.  Stop trying to regress my country.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

The right to free health care shouldn't be afforded to those at the bottom, is that what you're saying?
I'm saying that those at the very bottom don't do anything for the rest of us, so why should they receive anything in return?
-Frederick Bastiat
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6382

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I'm saying that those at the very bottom don't do anything for the rest of us, so why should they receive anything in return?
You're also saying that if you couldn't afford a string of operations for an accident that happened to you tomorrow (I'm not talking about a drug addict, this is specifically for you in your financial standing), and you were without health insurance, you would still be against universal healthcare?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

They still consume goods and services, provide cheap labor, in fact they move your GDP in a positive direction for the simple reason they don't save much money and spend most if not all of their meager income.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

some_random_panda wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

You're also saying that if you couldn't afford a string of operations for an accident that happened to you tomorrow (I'm not talking about a drug addict, this is specifically for you in your financial standing), and you were without health insurance, you would still be against universal healthcare?
I'm saying that I'm not a total fucking idiot that would live without health insurance and then whine and complain that I can't pay my medical bills  because I decided to buy a flat screen tv with the money I saved by not having insurance. Stupidity should be rewarded with death in an example like this. They fail at evolution.
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

JohnG@lt wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I'm saying that I'm not a total fucking idiot that would live without health insurance and then whine and complain that I can't pay my medical bills  because I decided to buy a flat screen tv with the money I saved by not having insurance. Stupidity should be rewarded with death in an example like this. They fail at evolution.
I like how you twisted that question from you, to suddenly those who buy flat screen tvs and not insurance.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6540|San Diego, CA, USA
Don't worry, we'll be having inflation just before the 2010 election.  I mean the last time we spent this much money interest rates went to 22%.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

Harmor wrote:

Don't worry, we'll be having inflation just before the 2010 election.  I mean the last time we spent this much money interest rates went to 22%.
If you honestly think you didn't/shouldn't have had to spend that much money then...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6540|San Diego, CA, USA

Spark wrote:

Harmor wrote:

If you honestly think you didn't/shouldn't have had to spend that much money then...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

Harmor wrote:

Spark wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Good thing we learned then because NOT moving fast enough to inject funds into the system is what allowed the Great Depression to last as long as it did.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard