Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

http://phones.verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid/

So I've almost got my Dad talked into getting me a Droid phone. It's getting released tomorrow, and since we are now officially out of contract we should be able to get the upgrade price + an instant $100 rebate. The company pays for all of my cell phone use and so like a poor teenager I have to plead and beg for what I want. But hey, it's all free, and really complaining would be stupid.

• Placing the Droid in the optional car dock immediately opens up the “Car Dock” interface, and turn-by-turn GPS directions are available.
  • Placing the Droid in the optional media dock places the Droid into an alarm clock and media player mode.
  • The interface is a stock Google Android 2.0 design, so no extra home screens like some other recent devices.
  • Unlike some HTC Android devices, Droid offers a standard 3.5 mm headset jack.
  • Like webOS Synergy, Droid unifies contacts from Gmail, Facebook and Exchange.
  • Dedicated hardware keys offer haptic feedback.
  • Verizon includes a 16GB SD card with the Droid, it supports 32GB.
  • Droid’s 5MP camera with flash trumps most other current phones with 720×480 (DVD Quality) recording at 24 fps
  • The camera also supports Image Stabilization, real-time color effects, scene modes and location tagging.
  • Droid does have an accelerometer and landscape keyboard, so it’s not necessary to slide out the QWERTY keyboard for landscape entry.
  • There’s no MotoBLUR, but there is a Facebook widget.
  • Back of the device is soft touch.
  • The 854×480 display offers a higher resolution than the first ASUS Eee PC netbook, which was 800×480.
  • Droid runs the same SnapdragonTI OMAP chip as the iPhone.
  • Tethering will be enabled.

Google app store on the horizon. It will be user driven and will NOT require approval (from what I have heard). I've seen it in action and the device looked very "snappy", no lag at all. I had some time to kill today and so I stopped in my local Verizon store and it was kinda funny. They were all hush hush "Corporate won't let us talk about the Droid". . They are opening their stores early tomorrow for the launch. So then I stopped by Best Buy and they assured me that they would have enough to meet demand tomorrow. They are taking preorders and are offering the rebate instantly (no mail in required).
Xbone Stormsurgezz
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

I kept seeing eerie previews for this on tv, but they never actually showed anything. Went to the website and it just had a countdown

Cool stuff though! I need a new phone anyway, will look into this.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

mtb0minime wrote:

I kept seeing eerie previews for this on tv, but they never actually showed anything. Went to the website and it just had a countdown

Cool stuff though! I need a new phone anyway, will look into this.
Check around at engadget and youtube. I'll never buy a phone without having it in my hands for a good 10 minutes. So nothing is a done deal for me.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
SealXo
+309|6505
i want this so bad
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

iphone killer
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

i got an invite to Google voice.

amidoinitrite?
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

burnzz wrote:

i got an invite to Google voice.

amidoinitrite?
offtopic, reported, ban

edit: google voice is same vampire bite you?

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-11-05 18:36:31)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

Google voice is awsm.. we really should start a topic .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

jsnipy wrote:

iphone killer
idk about that. The iPhone will always have a base. But I think this is the first time they will see some real pressure. When you've Verizon/Google on the same team lookout. Like I said, their app store is going to be user driven. Will not require approval.

I would consider ATT if their service wasn't absolute shit where I live.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

i signed up - resisted doin the Google thang because i haveta run ma main pc @ work thru the firewall, to see what users do.
(i gots a second one tho )

i still lol @ "users"

new Google log in, new Google everything, should i be scairt of Google yet? we rely on Google Earth Pro, hell they*re more up to date than USGS survey . . .
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

burnzz wrote:

hell they*re more up to date than USGS survey . . .
For one of my classes we had to use USGS topographical data, and it was just a giant hand-drawn topo map scanned into the computer. Was from the 70s. & /facepalm
Brasso
+1,549|6600

have fun buddy.  motorola phones are absolute shit, especially with battery life.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

haffeysucks wrote:

have fun buddy.  motorola phones are absolute shit, especially with battery life.
i've got a bb storm. we have iphones in the company, but i've found RIM to be the most business friendly. so, to answer your post,

???
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

haffeysucks wrote:

Really.. I have no problem with the razor I've had for two years.. buddy. Maybe it's just user error.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

burnzz wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

i've got a bb storm. we have iphones in the company, but i've found RIM to be the most business friendly. so, to answer your post,

???
Get the Storm 2! .. we've had this discussion...
Xbone Stormsurgezz
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

yep. the 5.0 software makes the orig like the 2.

i'm d/l it nao.  imma keep this phone b/c the wifes co. paid for it, and mine supports it.
win/MF win
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

burnzz wrote:

yep. the 5.0 software makes the orig like the 2.

i'm d/l it nao.  imma keep this phone b/c the wifes co. paid for it, and mine supports it.
win/MF win
cool cool. I know there was a bunch of buzz out about the storm 2 compared to the first model. I don't think you're going to get wifi with an update though .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

yeah, no wifi for me. it's like a temp ban, i can live w/that.
upside? i gotta phone that's Nationwide

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

Self proclaimed Black Berry ninja reviewing the Droid.

He has said that gmail is slower on the droid right now (compared to his Storm 2).. which is extremely odd considering this phone is google backed.
http://twitter.com/salomondrin
ofc this is phone isnt officially out yet and I can't imagine that google would not fix that asap.

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Kmarion wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Really.. I have no problem with the razor I've had for two years.. buddy. Maybe it's just user error.
i had a razr v3c a while back.  good times.  after about a month of usage the battery lasted a good...say, 3 hours.  then died.  i honestly couldn't be bothered disconnecting it from the charger any more.

on top of that, the phone would freeze constantly and require a hard reboot (battery pack taken out, then put back in).  another minor but nagging issue: the flip portion of the phone would have some sort of resistance and click loudly whenever i opened/closed the phone.

did i mention the battery life?

anyway, my friend has another motorola (not sure what model but i could check if you really wanted me to) and it has awful battery life as well.  both his phone and my old phone were pretty slooooow too.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

Again, I have none of that. Nor does my sis, dad, and a few buddies of mine. Maybe i'll just set a 24 hour time lapse on my phone to show you ..lol. And being a Realtor I use shit loads of minutes. If I forget to charge it overnight there is a good chance that it will make it through the next day. This is after having the phone for two years. That is also a good thing about the droid when compared to the iPhone... swappable batteries. I've never personally heard of Motorola devices just freezing up. For the most part they've pretty much preformed as prescribed. I did have an issue with one of the first HTC touch screen devices feezing, lagging (i cant remember the version). I pretty much gave that phone away and opted for my current, simpler Razor.

I have no problem taking a phone back. But considering my own personal experience with Motorola and after reading tons of reviews on this new device (there is always a certain percentage of negative info) I'll probably give this a whirl.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6360

I had a motorola Razr a while back.  Eventually I couldn't keep the lid open for more than an hour before it ran out of battery.  Granted, it was three years old, but the Sony Ericsson I had which was at least 7 years old was still working for days without charging (turned on). 
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

I still get over 6 hours of talk time without charge with this: http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 1#p2231111
Xbone Stormsurgezz
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

My razr is 3.5 years old and holds battery life quite well. In fact, the thing has held up pretty well. There's just one major problem. Dirt/dust gets under the screen cover, so I'd have to pry it off and clean it out. At first it was only once every few months, then every month, then every week... Then the screen wouldn't stay on because I had been pulling it off so much. So I super glued it back on, only now I can't pry it off, and there's a whole shit load of dust underneath and I can barely see shit when light is on it, and when there isn't, there's a big clump of dirt in the middle anyway so I can't see there.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

d'ya want mine? i went to a storm . . .

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard