Poll

Do you even think the the Smoke Grenades help?

Yes.30%30% - 37
No.31%31% - 39
Sometimes.37%37% - 46
Total: 122
Fuzzball_the_Shooter
The Photographer.
+81|6697|Central Valley,California
I don't think they do..useless.
Tushers
Noctwisaskfirtush
+224|6677|Some where huntin in Wisconsin
somtimes.  maybe if you being raped by a sniper
deject
Got His War On
+37|6766|Golden, CO
I wouldn't know, I've only thrown one for fun.
Zapata1982
+4|6665|Los Angeles, KALIFoooNIaaa
There are smoke grenades in the game????
j/k i know there is but they suck balls
LikeACockroach
Banned
+1|6581
They're as useless as the smoke that the tanks and APCs use. You only get one and it lasts for all of 2 seconds.
FromTheAshes
+53|6697
No, it will only give away your presence, and if your doing it to cover your tracks, you are dead by the time you throw it.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6638

deject wrote:

lol......anyhow sometimes but they need a bigger radius and more smoke and u should choke like in SF u should have mask if someone throws a grenade and there should be a "smoke grenade launcher" like in SF

Last edited by blademaster (2006-04-13 21:47:54)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636

blademaster wrote:

deject wrote:

lol......anyhow sometimes but they need a bigger radius and more smoke and u should choke like in SF u should have mask if someone throws a grenade and there should be a "smoke grenade launcher" like in SF
smoke grenades wont choke you in real life, why should they in the game?
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6698|Antarctica
Considering that

1. You get 1
2. The effects last for a very short time
3. The AoE is very small

I'd say VERY rarely.
Pineycone
Banned
+4|6586|Behind you.
Aside from the fact you can kill with it they're pretty useless.
Although it's fun tossing one in the alleys of Karkand then everyone just runs in there stabbing wildly..
TrueArchon
Enemy Sniper..." *BOOM* "Nevermind... got him...
+61|6587|Las Vegas, NV USA
I love 'em.  Use them anytime I can.  I throw them to foil sniper fire, block the view of armor (a favorite tactic in a moment), and get across long distances out in the open when there are a lot of enemies.  People rely upon sight a lot in this game, and if you can throw smoke, and wait in ambush, it can be quite effective in evening up the odds when out numbered, defending a flag.

Now my fun tactic vs. armor.  A teammate engineer or spec ops has thrown down AT mines or C4 in the road to kill some armor.  I'll wait nearby to see the armor at a distance, throw the smoke grenade in front of (or on top of) the friendly mines, and tempt the armor by running into view.  Typically, the player in the armor only has a quick moment to spot you before the smoke grenade goes off.  Afterwards, they usually love to chase after me, or even just barrel through the smoke with little awareness to the danger hidden within.

That aside, I'll throw smoke grenades to cover my movements, all of the time.  Hell, I'd love it if they had more than one available, but I can see how that may be a problem with lag or system performances.
MaddoxM
+4|6605
I find myself using them frequently on the Great Wall, but thats it. They can work wonders there, but luckily for me nobody else has seemed to catch on to this tactic.
strangelove
HOBO SPIRIT
+77|6613|the side hatch
i use em and they can be effective in several types of situation

i use them to cover my retreat when i run into armor, or more commonly, i toss one when i need to cross a street that has armor sitting in it...it really works, vehicles whores would much rather focus on the easy kills than fire aimlessly into some smoke

when i am playing with friends on teamspeak, i pop one on some armor when they ask for it...gives them a decent chance to get some c4 or a mine in there, major benfit to a naked bum's rush

when i am taking a flag...some flags simply dont have a defensible position in their halo, so once the flag turns gray (and they already know i am there) i pop one, you can see OUT of the smoke much better than someone can see INTO it

whenever i see a serious raping situation by armor or choppa i pop one near our spawn points, often it will make the difference in two or three guys making out alive, won't totally cover your teammates asses but it will make them just a little bit harder to kill and a lot of the time armor will be vulnerable to rocket shots and c4 for a few precious seconds

but the number one reason i throw them is misdirection, it seems by far the most effective use of them, when i am taking a flag or simply trying to survive, i toss one opposite my position, i have gunned down countless enemies when i saw their backs heading for the smokey area near newly contested flag
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Tushers wrote:

maybe if you being raped by a sniper
LMFAO....
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6639|Peoria
Don't forget about smoke gernade's humble beginings. The easiest 1 hit kill ever.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=0
CoconutBlitz
I've had the diarrheas since Easters
+145|6582|California U.S.A
Yes i love those smoke nades'

especially on a few flag captures.

one that comes to mind is the Docks on Dragon Valley if your on foot its just you and a big ass patch o' asphalt for cover as that flag turns to grey...

*POP* smokein'!

so instead of being the guy shot in the plain view next to the flag, I'm the guy getting shot in the smoke next to the flag. works great...

if you can creep up on a vod' or hummvee parked with a guy on the turret 50. chucking one in the back opening is always good for a laugh.

lotta times if im in a APC or tank i'll pop some smoke to help a squad taking a no cover flag i'll roll around the smoke perimeter and get any tangos running up or spot em if I cant nail em with my weapons in time

or when a friendly Engi' is so kind as to start wrenching' on my shot up' ride i'll pop smoke to give em' sniper repellent cover

Smoke em' if ya got em'! 
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6756

LikeACockroach wrote:

They're as useless as the smoke that the tanks and APCs use. You only get one and it lasts for all of 2 seconds.
Uh, in vehicles you get an unlimited supply.
khmer
+86|6670|Central California

Seal 3 wrote:

or when a friendly Engi' is so kind as to start wrenching' on my shot up' ride i'll pop smoke to give em' sniper repellent cover
Nice. I wish people would do that more often. It never happens when I get my wrench on. I usually get sniped thinking I am safe behind the armor. I usually move around when wrenchin but there are some skilled snipers out there.

I wonder what would happen if we had an unlimited supply of smoke grenades. I think they are useful. It would be more useful if spec ops had them. I would use them more often to sneak up on armor.

Last edited by khmer (2006-04-14 00:14:42)

BVC
+325|6688
You just need to learn when to use them, and to use them properly.
blacksheepcannibal
+24|6744
in theory, if people were to every desire to win when on the karkand-infedel-crap-idiot map, i have seen them prove near invaluable for taking the hotel. that first rush over the hill, 1 or 2 smoke pops, and you can make it twice as far as you can without.

of course, everybody that plays karkand just point-whores so they can get l337 points, so it doesnt really matter.

moreover, anybody that is actually trying to win on karkand knows the best option as US is to run for the back. everybody is too busy at the Hotel getting their l337 kills.
ComradeWho
+50|6687|Southern California
I've seen smoke grenades work in one situation. On USMC at karkaand when you spawn at the left main spawn point and you crest the hill that overlooks the alley. There was a good MEC sniper and a couple support and an assault guy threw down smoke at the top of the hill and USMC were able to get into the alley undeterred. The ONE TIME i've seen smoke have a use.

Other than that it just sort of lets the enemy know where you're at/coming from/going to.
CoconutBlitz
I've had the diarrheas since Easters
+145|6582|California U.S.A

khmer wrote:

Seal 3 wrote:

Nice. I wish people would do that more often. It never happens when I get my wrench on. I usually get sniped thinking I am safe behind the armor. I usually move around when wrenchin but there are some skilled snipers out there. .
Amen to that!

i'm usually a engi when i play I'll even run through a hail of lead and arty shells raining down to get some wrench of a friendly armour about to be destroyed to give the team some support

so i get to the armour get a few reapair bars and....

*POP* sniper shot right to the melon...

and sometimes the "less experinced" armour driver will think that "magical wrench ratchet sound" and the armour bars replenishing on his ride is being made by the "Reapair fairy" and starts whippin' his tank around like a three legged cat trying to bury a turd on a frozen pond and squashes me and my boonie hat 

sometimes i feel like the male praying mantis in a mating ritual trying not to piss off the BIG female so she doesn't snatch me up and bite my head off ...all stroking the side of the tank whispering

"It's okay it's just a little wrench you won't feel a thing (ratchet rachet ratchet)

"eeehhh quit moving i'm almost finished"  ((ratchet rachet ratchet))

"no i dont think these HE rounds make your treads look fat... (((ratchet rachet ratchet)))

WTF this is getting weird... 

a little smoke PAleease??!
Souljah
+42|6660
i just mainly use the smoke nade to drop fps on those people who dont have a high end system
glopje_nl
+21|6663|HOLLAND
the smoke coming from a apc or tank is very handy i use it to escape when im almost dead or so that he cant see me and cant hit me  but the smoke grandes are useless i think they need to make more smoke for a longer time
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6774

you need more smoke grenades and their area of effect (how big cloud is) should be bigger to give assault an advantage in rushing the enemy

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard