wilber69
+8|6648
Just read a thread on helo's and it got me thinking. Did a quick search and got the usual pages of threads!

So I'm gonna chance this topic.

The other night, I played a Wake map, managed to jump in as an Cobra gunner. I'm an ok pilot, but want to improve my TV missile skills. The pilot took us 2 a flag where i spotted infantry & opened up with my cannons. He then flew erractically & we ended up in a tree! Upon respawning, he lauched into a tarrade along the lines of; 'OMFG-what kind off gunner are u?' 'Stop shooting @ the bushes', etc. I calmly asked if his flying had anything 2 do with it. While he was typing a reply, I nipped in as the pilot, & took him on a 5 minute 15 kill spree!  Now, although it may sound like I'm trying to claim greatness here, I realise that sometimes, the pilot looks at one target, whilst the gunner looks at another. Voip can help avoid this but, hey, shit happens.

But I also wonder if other pilots actually have a plan as to how they are going to fly?

If I have a gunner, I concentrate on getting them in a good firing position, keep as steady as possible , cap flags and avoid get shot.

If no gunner, then I move as fast as possible and kill as many enemy I can...and avoid getting shot!

This all may seem obvious to most, but when gunning sometimes, I do wonder what my pilot is trying to achieve?
duk0r
Administrator
+306|6683|Austin, TX

You and me both man, I don't know how many times that has happened to me. "omg your such a noob you can't hit shit" as they crash into the trees for the 18th time.

Another thing that really grinds my gears is when you are flying with a gunner and you take evasive maneuvers to miss a tank shell or AA, and your gunner  then bitches at you for not keeping the target steady and calls you a noob and doesn't want to ever play with you again. 
Kids...*sigh*
https://bf3s.com/sigs/a3a6d1102d14bf2f7e266fba7f728dc2cc38b316.png
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6647|Finland

I'm usually piloting w. my friend as gunner. We have voice-com through messenger/Skype, which allows us to be in constant contact (This mainly because my Voip doesn't work for some odd reason which I'm at some point going to fix when my motivation to do so is at more than 10%). Also we have flown together for a while now, so even without audio, we can pretty much predict each others plans beforehand.

My advice is:

-Get a friend to gun with you and use voice communication. If Voip doesn't work, use messenger or similar.
-Agree on tactics before or at takeoff, also backup plans will come in handy.
-Both need to spot targets constantly, or inform of repair/ammo needs. If you spot a target as a pilot, the gunner aquires the target faster, as he knows that you have positioned the chopper for easy TVmissile operation. If he misses, shoot hellfires and get out! Reaquire when the TV-missile has rearmed.
-If you're flying with someone you don't know, be sure to thank him for destroying dangerous targets (Linebacker/another helo/Stinger/Igla etc.)
I need around tree fiddy.
wilber69
+8|6648
Amen to that!

Luckily, every once in a while, those 'top gunners' come along who just kill every thing that moves and seem to encourage me to provide them with a better platform to perform! That is when I really enjoy flying the helo!
wilber69
+8|6648

DonFck wrote:

I'm usually piloting w. my friend as gunner. We have voice-com through messenger/Skype, which allows us to be in constant contact (This mainly because my Voip doesn't work for some odd reason which I'm at some point going to fix when my motivation to do so is at more than 10%). Also we have flown together for a while now, so even without audio, we can pretty much predict each others plans beforehand.

My advice is:

-Get a friend to gun with you and use voice communication. If Voip doesn't work, use messenger or similar.
-Agree on tactics before or at takeoff, also backup plans will come in handy.
-Both need to spot targets constantly, or inform of repair/ammo needs. If you spot a target as a pilot, the gunner aquires the target faster, as he knows that you have positioned the chopper for easy TVmissile operation. If he misses, shoot hellfires and get out! Reaquire when the TV-missile has rearmed.
-If you're flying with someone you don't know, be sure to thank him for destroying dangerous targets (Linebacker/another helo/Stinger/Igla etc.)
Got no argument with that. But i play whatever/whenever and will only fly when it is worth while. Sometimes the mate/Voip option isn't there and I wonder if others follow some sort of 'basics' way of flying.
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6775
cap flags
Why do pilots insist on doing this? I've taken out loads of helis with a quick rocket. And been taken out by a few of them too. Once, one hovered so low on Wake I lobbed a hand grenade onto a roof and took it out like that!

If the pilots could just learn to cover flags instead of taking them, they'd actually live longer...
wilber69
+8|6648

Talon wrote:

cap flags
Why do pilots insist on doing this? I've taken out loads of helis with a quick rocket. And been taken out by a few of them too. Once, one hovered so low on Wake I lobbed a hand grenade onto a roof and took it out like that!

If the pilots could just learn to cover flags instead of taking them, they'd actually live longer...
Its all relative to me. If I'm full health, then I'm reckoning on 2 shots from AT to take me out. As soon as I feel that first hit, I'm off. If I get tagged on the way out, then so be it. But the helo can help to ease the pressure, if the team are being hemmed in!

Plus you don't have to sit on the flag. I have managed to cap flags whilst keeping a nice platform for the gunner to cover us! (as well as being a victim to pilots doing it to me!)
tF-afrojap
+124|6862|SF
For pilots:
Biggest tip I can give you: Fly passively. It's not like you've got a DAO strapped to your nose. Choppers are fast and have good attack range (even better if you got a TV-capable gunner). Use that to your advantage. The most common COD for choppers is because you fly out there blindly and get tone from some AA, maybe "shake some coconut trees" in the process. (quote from Mailman[3guns]) If you're getting lit up with 50cal, quickly switch to 3rd person view and check for tracers. This works great for spotting hot AA sites too. No use nose diving if you don't know where it's coming from.
I only fly with people I know now. But back when I used to fly with random peeps I always made sure stingers and 50cals were destroyed before covering an area. Even without voip, when you start shooting at stingers etc. the gunner usually gets the idea that those are my primary targets. Then we move in to claim the prize, as in, rape.

For gunners:
If your pilot starts hovering, check where he is looking. Checking the minimap or a quick view switch to see where the chopper nose is will help you re-align your view with that of your pilot. Often times it's some infantry hiding behind a crate etc. If he's nosed up a bit and hovering, he wants you to take a TV shot at something, look for distant armor or AA targets. But most of all, knowing all the AA spawns will give you the biggest advantage, and will help you understand what your priorities are as a gunner. The rest is basic stuff: Don't TV infantry, and don't use the cannon on heavy armor.
PRiMACORD
+190|6640|Home of the Escalade Herds
I prefer flying alone but if i have a gunner with me i will line him up. Don't really need a gunner for the most part in SF which is why i tend to play it more these days, that and no tv whoring. In SF, piloting skill really makes the difference.

I find normal bf2 chopper combat gets really boring when you have good tv guys on both sides, its just a bloody 'gain altitude and pray your gunner hits em'. Soooo boring. If you have a crappy gunner and the other team has a good one, you're fucked when it comes to tv'ing.
sgt.napalmcb
C4 CRAZY!
+73|6663|United Kingdom

Talon wrote:

I agree, when the pilots do that it is a very easy target for tanks, enemy choppers, etc, to just shoot you down...

Last edited by sgt.napalmcb (2006-04-13 03:56:32)

EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6667

Talon wrote:

cap flags

Easy kills 

I vary in flying ability, if it's flying low and fast avoiding AA etc then i'm great. It's hovering that's my problem, especially when under fire. I ordered a Logitech G5 mouse so I could do that more effectively, however the damn thing has a broken button so it's being sent back.

I'm fine as a gunner. I hate crap gunners though, i'll hover because I see a bunch of targets or a tank and he either A. Misses. B. Doesn't even notice the enemy troops.

Last edited by EvilMonkeySlayer (2006-04-13 04:29:38)

andyman99008
+3|6642|Ireland
how many times have any of you been gunner...you see an enemy tank/heli flying/driving opposite way and you tell the pilot HELI/TANK to the LEFT/RIGHT and what does the pilot do...absolutely nothing!! this REALLY annoys me...dont know about the rest of you but when im piloting i look all around the place and as soon as i see an enemy heli/tank or watever i line up there sights so they can make an easy kill with tv/cannon!!my point is WAT do some pilots think of??? i thought that what i do is relatively common!!
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6662

sgt.napalmcb wrote:

Talon wrote:

I agree, when the pilots do that it is a very easy target for tanks, enemy choppers, etc, to just shoot you down...
It's not always a bad thing. I will occasionally neutralize a flag to stop a bleed on the ticket count if no friendly ground units are in the area. Just make sure you destroy all vehicle threats in the area and don't hover to take the flag, or especially land. Only do it to stop a bleed on your tickets though. It's your grounds job to do that. It's your job to assist the ground by destroying armor and covering them when they cap flags.
Torin
+52|6707
I've got 2 modes when I'm flying:

1) Noob/unknown gunner mode. I tend to fly slower, hover more, give them time to take the shot. More likely to use my rockets in this mode against ground targets to make up for a lack of observation on the part of my gunner. I always try to get my gunner in at least the same squad, so I can feed information to him and vice versa. Most noob gunners have issues hitting targets with the guns, and don't know all the situations they should be using the TV missile, like when I'm giving them a perfect shot. I tend to die a lot more flying in this mode, but it seems to be required to get my gunner to kill anything.

2) Known/good gunner. I fly a lot faster, give a lot less time to take shots, and move around more aggressively. Not uncommon to do some full speed hovers circling around a spawn to keep all points down. I rely on the fact that my gunner is good, knows how to lead the cannon, knows when to switch to the TV missile and use it. I can rely that when my gunner shoots the TV, I can immediately alter my course because the target will no longer a threat. I usually always have these gunners on VoIP, but some gunners I fly with often really know how each other operate. Recently, a frequent gunner of mine had his mic blown out and couldn't talk, so we simply didn't communicate, but still, he knew where to look for the targets I provided, knew when to tv and whatnot. Good gunners understand what opportunities a good pilot is offering them, and doesn't need VoIP to take advantage of the targets presented to him.

Flying aggressively with a good gunner I can often avoid death the entire round. Good pilots kill that hummer that is pounding you within 2 seconds of the first fire being shot, a noob gunner doesn't even notice until you're making emergency course changes and hiding behind a mountain with 20% life left.
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6711|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
I always get the gunner in my squad and tell him to destroy all AA eplacements and vodniks/humvees when we get to a base, i then tell him to aim where im pointin as i always aim straight for a gunner, never cap flags in an AC very bad idea
kn0ckahh
+98|6754|netherlands, sweet lake city
the way i fly with my gunner...

i try to have a high altitude about 100 on the meter ....
our proirity are armor and choppers i wont get close to any of them... i wont get locked by AA because of the distance and ill give my gunner good shots from a distance.... because of the distance the TV missle has to fly he has a lot of time to Aim straight for his targets or see where targets are moving to...
the only thing i do is watching my screen to see whats getting spotted and looking at my map to see where it is.... the only thing i do is just keeping the chopper safe and letting my gunner do the work
Markimus
Administrator
+65|6651|Canada
Ah, yes. My problem exactly.

For instance, just recently - trying to communicate with someone over TS failed when I was told by Viper007Bond that "I know how to play the game, you don't have to tell me when to TV guide someone". Shortly after this, he felt it was necessary to machine gun a buggy driving by while a tank was about to shell us. When I decided to pull up to get out of the tanks line of fire he started crying that he couldn't hit the buggy - "TURN TURN", then we were both killed by a tank shell. I was then called a noob for this. Maybe someone should have TV guided the tank which I was pointing at for 10 seconds.

A big fuck you out to people like this, you're not the best damn gunners in the world. I don't know about other pilots out there, but where I am pointing should be of importance to the gunner. People that chose to be arrogant and ignore this shouldn't be playing.
I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6734|Melbourne, Australia
Hehehe i got u both beat because i play at a lan cafe once a week... my gunner is usually on the computer next to me so i can glance over an see what he sees i point out targets for him .. an we have a great time.. hes not that good with the tv (actully he sucks) but we still manage to rape.. its all about teamwork
tF-afrojap
+124|6862|SF

Markimus wrote:

Ah, yes. My problem exactly.

For instance, just recently - trying to communicate with someone over TS failed when I was told by Viper007Bond that "I know how to play the game, you don't have to tell me when to TV guide someone". Shortly after this, he felt it was necessary to machine gun a buggy driving by while a tank was about to shell us. When I decided to pull up to get out of the tanks line of fire he started crying that he couldn't hit the buggy - "TURN TURN", then we were both killed by a tank shell. I was then called a noob for this. Maybe someone should have TV guided the tank which I was pointing at for 10 seconds.

A big fuck you out to people like this, you're not the best damn gunners in the world. I don't know about other pilots out there, but where I am pointing should be of importance to the gunner. People that chose to be arrogant and ignore this shouldn't be playing.
I get into this situation often. It's cause when we spot a target we tend to fixated on it, and don't realize your partner has acquired a more lethal target. If you got voice it's simple, the person who yells the loudest over voip, wins. :p

I think 50cals are the main cause of this situation since the "cotton ball" rounds are silent on impact. It's hard to notice your health draining when you are busy racking up kills.
PRiMACORD
+190|6640|Home of the Escalade Herds
If you're gunner gives you mouth kill him via the map boundry.

Gunning = Easy points
Piloting = Real work

Let him know who's boss.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6647|Finland

PRiMACORD wrote:

If you're gunner gives you mouth kill him via the map boundry.

Gunning = Easy points
Piloting = Real work

Let him know who's boss.
Amen
I need around tree fiddy.
CrazeD
+368|6688|Maine

tF-afrojap wrote:

The rest is basic stuff: Don't TV infantry, and don't use the cannon on heavy armor.
While that seems like common sense, I can't begin to tell you how many people I've flown with that insist on using TV-missles on infantry, and then shooting their MG at APCs/tanks. >.<
Torin
+52|6707

tF-afrojap wrote:

Don't TV infantry, and don't use the cannon on heavy armor.
I like TVing infantry for a laugh.

The guy I usually fly with is as good a pilot and gunner as I am, so we switch spots a lot. Lots of laughs from TVing some lone infantry running for a flag.

"Ooh, that had to hurt!"

But yeah, don't TV infantry routinely.
[CSG*] Bane_The_Destroyer
+7|6610|Pleasanton, CA
New Gunners:
LEARN TO RIGHT CLICK!! lol. If your pilot stops in the middle of the map there's got to be a reason. If you can't see any infantry then maybe.... just maybe... IT MIGHT BE THE TANK/APC/BH RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!!!! heh. I have lined up so many armor shots where the gunner could just click once and get an easy easy kill... instead they're checking out the real estate across the street from said armor wondering if they can get a good deal on that not-yet-destroyed condo.
tF-afrojap
+124|6862|SF

Torin wrote:

tF-afrojap wrote:

Don't TV infantry, and don't use the cannon on heavy armor.
I like TVing infantry for a laugh.

The guy I usually fly with is as good a pilot and gunner as I am, so we switch spots a lot. Lots of laughs from TVing some lone infantry running for a flag.

"Ooh, that had to hurt!"

But yeah, don't TV infantry routinely.
Yeah I know what you mean. Nothing beats TV guiding a missile into a pack of chopper/plane campers. It's funny cause you get to see their "OH SHIT" faces before impact.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard